For Sale Selling Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking for opinions on selling a car. What method/site yield the best results as far as success rate, serious buyers and fewest wastes of time? Hemmings? Ebay? Craig's list? Local adds? FCBO? Any others?

I had my '65 Monaco for sale last year on several Mopar only sites. Had interest on most of them but the car did sell here to a member. If it did not move on a Mopar site I was going to put it on Ebay as a last resort. Did have it listed on CL but only had one person look at the car and he thought he was going to get it for dirt cheap,ahhh no.

It really does depend on the car. Craigslist does work, my son has sold cars in the Syracuse area on Craigslist with some good success. You have to put up with some nonsense though, so I wouldn't list a phone number.

This forum is good... It's targeted to the C-body audience on a national level and best of all, it's free. You can't go wrong with free.

I've bought cars on Ebay myself... We all seem to search it often. I sold one on Ebay too. The buyer contacted me and bought it "offline".

I never buy Auto Trader or the like, so I can't see anyone looking for a C-body searching through the ads.

The burning question is what is the car??

It also depends on the price... I just don't see the high $ rides selling on the Mopar sites.... If it's a high end car that looks great, E bay. Most likely it won't sell through the auction but gets great viewing traffic then deals are worked out after the Auction. Another good one is BaT....

When I started to try selling the Imperial I listed it on Craigslist and Pennswoods.net (free classifieds that cover PA and parts of OH, MD, WV, NY and maybe NJ. Both of these are free.

I finally ended up selling it on CL.

I've had the best results on CL. The Mopar sites are OK for parts and small items but the response to a vehicle ads have been zero for me. Even cheap vehicles that I would consider a good deal just lie here. (Example: A loaded, running Chrysler wagon for sale here for $800.00, still sitting).
Ebay is effective to get exposure but you need to pad the selling price to compensate for their fees if it sells.

Good luck.

Sorry but it's really funny asking that on this site where any car that is for sale is burned to the ground.
wrong wheels, if only it had buckets, wrong color, to expansive etc.
Good luck selling your car, if it's a C body it will end up here posted by somebody else so everybody can take a shot at it.
Don't take it personal.
There is a buyer for every car at any price, you just need some patience sometimes.

For a really nice car, I agree that eBay is the best avenue. You just can't beat the worldwide audience.

I sold a 1969 Coronet 500 convertible on Bring a Trailer and I was happy with the experience.
What are you selling?

On one hand, I'm one of the guys who gets tired of all the complaints that come with every car (like the gorgeous '71 Sport Fury GT that appeared recently and is apparently worthless because it has headers, incorrect plug wires, and is missing it's A/C compressor). And I've been frustrated over the years when I've tried to put good cars up here for cheap prices to get them into the hands of other C-body people, and got insults in return. Like a nice 4-speed '66 Sport Fury, heavily optioned black '66 Monaco 500 with factory 440, or a fresh-paint '72 Fury coupe with black interior, all for cheap, all considered overpriced on this board. The red '72 was even offered here years ago and included a fresh, unassembled 408 stroker for less than what I had spent in engine parts and machine work- the car was literally free to anyone who bought the engine and still, just complaints. All those cars sold on Craigslist. That being said, I have sold two cars on here to great people, both Canadian buyers, who enjoy C-bodies and aren't whiners. To summarize, there are courteous people here who may be interested, so you should post it here. Just be ready to ignore all the insults and time wasters.

I think if it's a C-Body that this is a good place to start but be up front about what you have, what's wrong and what's right.

Only post on here if you have thick skin. I don't think anyone on here intends to be malicious but often it comes out that way. Especially if the car is on another site and someone posts it on here for member comment.

Keep in mind the average age of most of us so many feel the price of most cars is too high. I don't think most of the cars I see are wildly overpriced but that's simply opinion and the market will decide that. If you have a car for sale, here, CL, Ebay, etc for a year and it doesn't sell, it's probably overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back