Should i buy a new pitman arm?

MBar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally got the power steering gearbox out... Could not get the pitman arm off with the puller and the space didn't allow for a fork... Had to undo the left tie rod end and the pitman at the linkage.

So I had the gearbox on the ground and after a LOT of pounding on the fork the pitman arm came off. I have the PTS suspension kit and so far have only installed the tie rod ends and idler arm. When I asked PTS if I should get the pitman arm I was that while I can order it, it's not usually a wear item and therefore not part of the kit.

Soooo... When I replaced the idelr it was clearly bad at the ball joint to the point it was loose and felt broken. Now with the pitman arm, the movable part feels right enough to reuse but the rubber is toast.

Should I buy a pitman arm? (Aprox 150.00) or can I get the rubber or should I just put it back as is?

Thank you

As long as it isn't bent or damaged I would use the old one.

As mentioned it's not a wear part.

Finally got the power steering gearbox out... Could not get the pitman arm off with the puller and the space didn't allow for a fork... Had to undo the left tie rod end and the pitman at the linkage.

So I had the gearbox on the ground and after a LOT of pounding on the fork the pitman arm came off. I have the PTS suspension kit and so far have only installed the tie rod ends and idler arm. When I asked PTS if I should get the pitman arm I was that while I can order it, it's not usually a wear item and therefore not part of the kit.

Soooo... When I replaced the idelr it was clearly bad at the ball joint to the point it was loose and felt broken. Now with the pitman arm, the movable part feels right enough to reuse but the rubber is toast.

Should I buy a pitman arm? (Aprox 150.00) or can I get the rubber or should I just put it back as is?

Thank you

www.steerandgear.com has the boots for a B-Body but I am not sure if they are the same size as a C-Body. You might call the customer service number on their home page top check that.

Dave

The correct way to check the pitman arm wear is in the vehicle, placing your finger between the pitman arm and the center link while turning the wheel left to right slightly, feeling for play. Out of the vehicle, you may able able to put the stud end in a vise and force the arm back and forth...

I've been able to get away with using my old pitman arms, but I'd like to get replacement pieces soon, it's the only linkage piece I haven't replaced.

Should i buy a new pitman arm?

My answer to questions phrased like this is always YES!

After all, it isn't my $$... I usually answer with my inside voice though. :rolleyes:

Back