Shout out for SMS Auto Fabrics

71newport

Reaction score
25 years ago I had the bottom portion of the front seat in my GA4 Newport reupholstered locally using NOS cloth I found at SMS. Time now to do the top half of the front seat. I took it to my local guy and fortunately I had enough NOS cloth left over from the previous job, but I needed two yards of gunmetal vinyl.

I've read some unflattering things lately about SMS and shipping times, so I had very low expectations. However, I called and ordered it and not only did they have it, but it showed up at my door within two weeks. It's beautiful, a perfect match, AND it was priced quite reasonably. Frankly I was shocked I was able to find it at all.

If it weren't for SMS, my cloth and vinyl bench seat would have to be re-done in some tacky modern vinyl. I'm thankful they are in business.

Thanks SMS!

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0800.jpg

25 years ago I had the bottom portion of the front seat in my GA4 Newport reupholstered locally using NOS cloth I found at SMS. Time now to do the top half of the front seat. I took it to my local guy and fortunately I had enough NOS cloth left over from the previous job, but I needed two yards of gunmetal vinyl.

I've read some unflattering things lately about SMS and shipping times, so I had very low expectations. However, I called and ordered it and not only did they have it, but it showed up at my door within two weeks. It's beautiful, a perfect match, AND it was priced quite reasonably. Frankly I was shocked I was able to find it at all.

If it weren't for SMS, my cloth and vinyl bench seat would have to be re-done in some tacky modern vinyl. I'm thankful they are in business.

Thanks SMS!

View attachment 605834

View attachment 605835

SMS has been very good in terms of shipping basic materials like vinyl and cloth that are either original nos of if that isn't available, they will make it up for you unless they happen to have some extra material that they made in the past in stock.

Sometimes they also take a lot of time to make up vinyl roofs or seat covers to replicate the original seat patterns and material but some of the vinyl roofs are not quite correct.

The real negative for them is in getting new original door panels to you in anything less than 5 years. I still have one set of door panels outstanding with them 7 years after ordering them. That last set should arrive at the end of the month but I have learned the hard way in the last year that the squeaky wheel gets the grease from them and that is the only way they will be motivated to make your door panels.

But their quality is always first rate.

I ordered a yard of green material and a vinyl top last week and the yardage arrived today . They said the top would take 6-8 weeks .

Last edited:
I'm at four years of waiting for a set of door panels. Need to email them again.

If its bulk material and they have it in stock they are absolutely brilliant.
A few times I have bought material that was in stock I had it on my door step in Australia in a week. Unbelievable.
However if its not in stock and they have to make something for you well that's a different story. However if they were not in business us C Body guys would be in trouble.

My upholstery guy is not too fond of them because of all the delays in getting material shipped. About 2 years ago I asked about material for the driver's seat in my Cougar. Finally heard back from them (stock) after getting an email about a discount sale. Roughly a year later the material showed up in March.

OTOH they handled the material for my F100 bench seat in 2008, which was to be embossed, in pretty good time.

I've also recently had unexpected good success with SMS and quick turn around for seat material for the 300. They even made windlace for door opening out of same material.

I've also recently had unexpected good success with SMS and quick turn around for seat material for the 300. They even made windlace for door opening out of same material.
I sent them my door panels over four years ago and when I finally got in contact with them they said I would get them in March of 2022. It’s a pain in the neck to get in touch with them and my car is still in the body shop so right now I’ll just let them store them

Sounds like they have problems with turn around time for their door panels, and need to step up their game there.

It's a shame they are the only game in town. They ought to fly the skull and crossbones.

Quite a few years ago now, I watched as Doug, the owner, systematically bought out every company that was associated with having stored nos automobile interior materials or made products like seats, vinyl roofs, etc. The first one he bought that I recognized was Original Auto Interiors out of Detroit and a bunch of others so that he would be the "only game in town". He knew exactly what he was doing and was shrewd. This all didn't happen by chance.

He also refuses to have more than 40 employees I have been told but the reasons given are speculative so I won't repeat those reasons only because his employees seem to be happy with the owner and most have been there most of their work years - a very long time and are dedicated to him and he seemingly stands up for them like both Kim and Leslie, who are the ones that answer the phones when they do answer them and give estimates of when your products, particularly door panels will be done, that are purely speculative at best and for me at least never meant anything. But they take the orders and fulfill them well when they are not door panels. I have asked them why they don't hire more employees and they tell me its because it is very hard to find employees that are pedantic and give great attention to detail in making those difficult items. That may well be partially true, I don't really know.

As far as I know, the only other company that makes door panels is for Corvettes and that is it and they don't seemingly want to expand their offerings at all. I grant that door panels are a specialized skill but I sure wish there was more competition.

I just wonder how in the world Detroit was able to get so many door panels made for the millions of cars they built every year and keep up with demand. I guess it is a lost art.

So I go back and forth with SMS on how I size them up as a business but having to wait 7 years to get what I ordered just isn't right, especially when taking your money up front! I guess the thing that pushed me over the edge is when I saw that at the "end of Covid", they held a company sale for ordering door panels when they already had years of backlog they couldn't meet. What was that all about!!!??? Then I became a "squeaky wheel" and so now I have only one remaining set to be fulfilled and many have already been delivered.

I had been reluctant to complain too much about the wait because I was concerned that too much squeaking and my door panels would end up looking like they had been run over but over time I realized that the owner really cares that each set is perfect so then I started to complain effectively. Every set I have received is meticulously done and look perfect just as new.

So that is the best I can summarize my thoughts over all these years of frustration. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back