side mirror problem

baepis

Reaction score
Hi

I have -74 plymouth fury gran coupe and I have problem with my driver side mirror. My mirror shell swings and it won`t stay stedy because there is one screw broken. So my question is how I can get mirror glass off that shell that I can put the new screw there and tighten it?

On 1971 to 1973 mirrors you might gain access to the screw holding the mirror housing to its base by simply removing the mirror from the car.

If that is beyond repair, or if there is another screw which has its head on the housing side (rather than on the base side), you need to access that from the interior of the housing.

To do that, you must first CAREFULLY pry the mirror glass from its movable metal base. Take your time and work very slowly, allowing the adhesive pads holding the glass to give in little by little. Once the glass is separated, unscrew the spring holding the metal base to the pivot ball, then remove movable metal base.

To reinstall glass to its movable metal base, glue the glass in with silicone (let allow time to cure) or appropriate glue.

I have also wires inside mirror, so I can move the mirror inside car. however I have to take door panel off, that I can remove the mirror? and I think that`s not easy job :eusa_think: but I have to try.

Thanks for helping me. I let you know what happens.

If you don't see screws from the outside, yes, then you'll have to remove the door panel. That is quite easy.

First, loosen the nut arond the adjusting pin. If you don't have a special tool just use a small flat blade screwdriver, insert it into one of the recessions to tap it loose, then undo by hand.

After removing door lock pin and other screws, e. g. the one holding the armrest, etc. then take good care when popping the spring clips holding the actual panel to the door sheetmetal so they don't stay in the door and rip out of the board. A tool like this one is quite useful for that:

2012-03-13_132824_door_panel_removal_tool.gif

I get the door panel off and it was easy job. Then I get mirror off, but it won`t help solution my problem. I still don`t know how that mirror get off in the cover? I made a patent and I put some siliconglue there. It hold`s now and I have time to make better solution...maybe I buy a new mirror.

The mirror is held to the steel plate with silicone, use a razor all around where the glass meets the steel plate then gently pry until the mirror slowly comes off. Then you may need to drill 2 holes into the plate to access the screws.

Once your repair is done silicone the mirror on again.

Can you share some pictures of the mirror? Some older mirrors were more or less permanently mounted with a hard setting adhesive.

The mirror is held to the steel plate with silicone, use a razor all around where the glass meets the steel plate then gently pry until the mirror slowly comes off. Then you may need to drill 2 holes into the plate to access the screws.

Once your repair is done silicone the mirror on again.

Yes, that what I have to do. I think.

Here is couple of pictures:
20150921_150937.jpgPicsArt_09-21-03.29.04.jpg
Red arrow shows where I have now put the siliconglue.

I think this one is the same, but other side
http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...-passenger-side-remote-mirror-200-00-shipping

20150921_150937.jpg

PicsArt_09-21-03.29.04.jpg

Okay...that's different. I thought your problem was with the mirror swivel screws.

There are 2 screws that hold the pedestal and the housing together...one from the bottom and one from the top. Pic 1 is looking down the inside of the pedestal at the lower screw, Pic 2 is looking (trying to look) in the gap below the mirror where you can just make out the upper screw. Both are Phillips head.

Step 1.

If remote, unscrew retaining washer from joystick assembly, and remove inner doorpanel, the 3 retaining nuts and remove the mirror assembly from the car.

Step 2

To access the screw from below, you need to pull the mirror off and access the screw inside the pedestal that holds the pedestal tightly to the mirror housing. Hopefully this is the loose screw and you don't need to go further.

Step 3

To access upper screw use razor to gently pry mirror glass off the metal plate. Drill access holes to remove mirror pivot plate from housing. Leaving the cables connected, you should get enough play to pull the pivot assembly out to access the upper screw. Tighten as needed...I recommend lock tite so you don't need to do it again.

Step 4
Reassemble and put it back on the car.

HPIM2302.jpg

HPIM2301.jpg

I disassembled one of these remote mirrors once.
Never want to do that again.
In my reverse engineering analysis, all I could think of was I couldn't find a way that would have made sense in mass production.

Back