single exhaust vs waldron dual exhaust

mr gtx

Reaction score
mild rebuilt 440 with light weight pistons and thinner rings and one up from stock cam up and running in my 67 newport, was a 383-2 single 2" exhaust. just breaking in but has plenty of low and mid range power seems a little weak above 4800 rpms right now. will be interesting to see what the 2.5 dual will do, going to start putting the waldron on today. they made me 2.5 exhaust and 2.5 mufflers in and out and then 2.25 tail pipes coming out. stock would have been 2.25" mufflers in and out with 2" tail pipes they told me. two concerns , one is the mild impostor mufflers will be too loud but they are 28" body. the other concern is the hangers that will work for tail pipe just after the muffler. hoping to add at least 30 HP.

20220512_210311.jpg

concern number 3 lol. the driver side is wrong. the flange touches on engine side no way on fender side, looks like it was made for b-body exhaust manifold. second from last photo is a b-body manifold looks like it was made for that one flange is pointed more down. last photo is the c-body one pointed towards fender.

20220514_124012.jpg

20220514_124039 (1).jpg

20220514_125138.jpg

20220514_125835.jpg

Last edited:
4800rpm might well be where the power needed and available power curves get close and flatten out? At that vehicle speed, wind resistance increases very quickly, even for another 5mph of speed.

To me, IF it pulls hard to 4800rpm before it starts tapering off, that would be good. The other thing is that, even with a low-restriction exhaust, the cam specs can also dictate where "the wall" might be. I presume you got an aftermarket cam?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Check the casting numbers on the driver side manifold, B-Body and C-Body use different manifolds as the steering gear location is also different. Parts book has the casting numbers. Passenger side is the same manifold. B-Body manifold is more valuable, so wou should be able to work a swap with somebody needing that manifold. Once you get the proper exhaust installed, you will probably need to re-jet the carb and advance curve to compensate for the lower restriction exhaust. A 440 is usually a lot happier going for peak torque at 4000 rpms or less. Above 4k you need high tensile valve springs with buffers to control valve float. Above 4k you should also consider 6qt pan with a windage tray.

Dave

i have the c-body manifold it fits perfect but i think they made the pipe for a b-body manifold. one step up bigger cam then the hp 440 cam plus new comp springs

tried the pass side it fits my hp manifold and not the log manifold so perfect there. on drivers side i put the log manifold on and it fits that. and the log looks more like the b-body hp manifold might fit that. so waldron must have made it for the log or b-body hp. hope they don't give me a hard time or takes almost 8-weeks to get the right one. is anyone using the waldron on there c-body hp manifolds ?

The relation of the "dot" cast on the manifold is an easy ID spotter to tell if its intended for a low-deck or raised deck application. The "dots" are roughly in the same location relitive to the cylinder head flange. You can see the 440 one is longer after the "dot" to reach around the steering column.

20220515_131614.jpg

20220515_131546.jpg

the rusted one is a hp b-body manifold and the painted one is the c-body manifold #2863409. 67 and 68 383 and 440 are the same i thought and just the head pipe would be made different. it clears the steering fine

tti list it as a 383-400-440 they just have 2 different part numbers for the head pipe coming off the manifold. the log manifold i took off it waldrons fits this one.

20220515_142352.jpg

The relation of the "dot" cast on the manifold is an easy ID spotter to tell if its intended for a low-deck or raised deck application. The "dots" are roughly in the same location relitive to the cylinder head flange. You can see the 440 one is longer after the "dot" to reach around the steering column.
do you have a part # for the 440 manifold, maybe they made it for that one, does anyone have one for sale or i will trade my b-body hp manifold

John at Waldrons going to make up a new right away, he did some research and the pipe he sent was for a 67 but when he looked up my manifold he said that it was for 68-69 so he will make a pipe for that manifold

tried to a dual set from them for my 66 newport. they said it wasnt factory and hung up the phone

tried to a dual set from them for my 66 newport. they said it wasnt factory and hung up the phone
They are wrong. Dual exhausts are part of the 440 TNT option which was available on all 66 Chryslers.
However they just used the log manifolds in 66.

Back