Single to dual master cylinder conversion

Imperial dude

Reaction score
The single reservoir master cylinder on my 64 imperial is leaking, for safety sake I want to convert to a dual master cylinder while I'm at it
I understand a 67 C body for drum brakes is a bolt on item, and that it's a distribution block not a proportioning valve, so i can plug the hole for the back brakes, and connect the rear line directly to the master cylinder, does this sound right?
Here is where I've gotten my information
Fred Joslin's Dual Master Upgrade
Thanks in advance for the help

That is exactly what I did on my 64 years ago.
DSC02503.JPG
__hr_64+side+view.jpg

No distribution block? Does it lock up the fronts or rear first?

No distribution block , just plugged the rear line at the junction block and the ran the rear line up to the master cylinder. Been so long that I have done it , I would have to go retest the brakes . Have had a few panic stops and stops fine .

www.inlinetube.com and others sell a dual pot conversion block that can be used. Or you could raid one from a parts car'67 and up. You will need to make some mods to the factory tubing in any case.

Dave

Or you could raid one from a parts car'67 and up.
That's what I did when I did mine. It was easier than running new lines to the back. I guess I could have added in a small piece to bridge the gap.

Done it both ways, using a 67 up distribution block and using a new tee made for the conversion. No difference, but I think the conversion tee made for less plumbing changes. Just 2 new tubes from the MC to the tee.

However it works for you will be fine.

www.inlinetube.com and others sell a dual pot conversion block that can be used. Or you could raid one from a parts car'67 and up. You will need to make some mods to the factory tubing in any case.

Dave
thanks, for all the replies, I'lll probably go with the conversion block just to have a cleaner looking install, I want to keep it original as possible, only upgrading things for safeties sake

Back