Slab pedals in a fuse

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
Curiosity got the best of me and I did some investigating if or how complicated it would be to install slab clutch and brake pedals in a fuselage.
I base my info on what i found using 66 polara poly 3 on the tree pedals, 69 polara pedals and a 69 polara parts car. Both v8 cars.
1st question, do the pedals bolt in. No. With a few caveats. Manual brake bracket will fit in, but what fun is that. Power brake bracket has clearance issue on top. It don't need a lot of extra room, so some light massaging with a large hammer might do the job.
The clutch pedal bracket has slightly bigger clearance issue on the top. If you go to a diaphragm style pressure plate you eliminate the big spring and pin, and could trim the top of the bracket. Plus massage a little.
The holes for master cylinder in the fuse firewall don't match the slab brake bracket. Not a deal breaker but would take some concentration to determine were holes need to be. Would need to keep in mind that clutch rod needs to be considered with bracket placement.
Final bracket issue is the slab clutch bracket. Slab firewall isn't flat and the clutch bracket is aprox a inch rear of the brake bracket, simple to make and bolt in a spacer. Oh yeah, have to determine were and drill clutch bracket mount holes in firewall.
2nd issue. Z bar. Fuse is 1 inch longer than slab. Based on 318 slab and 318 fuse.. greasy one is fuse and clean one is slab. 69 fuse had a grease fitting and looks like it got greased.. the brackets are clocked the same. Just needs 1 inch added to the center.
3rd issue. Fuse clutch rod is 1/2 inch longer than slab. Upon close inspection I see that the slab clutch rod mounts higher on the clutch pedal than fuse and I have a hunch that would equal things out.
4th The z bar mounting at the frame. One on left is fuse, its 1/2 turn different than slab. Don't think this is a big issue. Could easily use slab mount as a pattern and make one the other way. I removed both of these with cordless angle grinder and zip cut disc. Engine removed both times.
I am sure I left something out.
to answer the question if slab pedals will fit fuses. Yes I think so. It wouldn't go fast and would take a lot of patience. Have to remove fuse steering column to get auto trans brake pedal bracket out which gives more room a much better view.
1 more thing. Last picture is fuse brake bracket. It ties into the rear of the dash with 3 bolts and also 1 bolt ahead a little. into a under dash bracket . And the steering column has a mounting bolt that attaches it to underside of brake mounting bracket. Looks to me that the way everything ties together does 2 things. Stiffens up the dash and holds the steering column in place upon impact. Makes the column crumple up. Could be wrong.

20200407_094049.jpg

20200407_102559.jpg

20200407_105122.jpg

20200407_104034.jpg

What if we skip Z-bar and go with hydraulic aftermarket kit... It could work, with some/alot/not even close?

I don't see why a hydraulic setup wouldn't work. Or couldn't be made to work. I haven't had anything to do with them.

I ran a hydraulic setup. No one #askmehowiknow makes a hydraulic throw out bearing that works with the old mopar BB drive train.

Back