So where are all the cool kids buying auto carpet?

Carmine

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'd ask in the resto section, but it's for a B-body.

Sorry.

Even worse it's cut pile, (1979). I've not seen any version that impressed me...always looks like fuzz compared to the factory shag-like stuff. I will soon have a bunch of decent red interior parts for a '79 Magnum, if anyone is interested. Going from all-red to white with navy blue carpet, dash, etc.

Any club buys or coupons out there? Recommendations for quality?

There is basically only one company now making carpet for the cars. That would be ACC Carpets. They purchased Trim Parts carpet back in January 2017 which was the other manufacture. ACC Carpet also has another company that sells their product under the name of Stock Carpet. So just check out your favorite vendor that carries carpet. Pricing varies drastically for some reason. I know as a vendor for ACC, we only drop ship the carpet so that it will be freshly molded and not been setting on a shelf for months in a box. The ACC website is quite detailed with options.

Just did my Barracuda in ACC carpet. I liked the Trim Parts carpet for fit and extra to trim, but the ACC carpet turned out OK. Note holes for seats made with soldering iron.

BzroTLf.jpg

That's kind of a bummer. I don't have any reason to favor one over another, but it makes me think one company would be inclined to "drop" less-often restored cars, like C-bodies for example. I'm so glad my Monaco has nice carpet. Very deep shag. I don't know where I could ever find that.

When we order carpet for our customers, we request them to leave them long on the sides and the front. It is a pain to cut, but the extra material makes it much easier to get a good fit if you have to move it around.

When we order carpet for our customers, we request them to leave them long on the sides and the front. It is a pain to cut, but the extra material makes it much easier to get a good fit if you have to move it around.
I wish I'd known that.

The Trim Parts carpet I put in my '70 300 had extra to cut on sides and at the front. The ACC carpet left me zero extra at the front and almost zero on the sides. One side will get left alone and a half inch trimmed off the other side. Some time in the sun will make things lay down better, but the extra on the Trim parts made for a much nicer install.

Auto Custom Carpet is the only game in town since they bought Trim Parts carpet division.

Stock Interiors seems to be the better dealer out there these days. Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

I second this. Ordered a couple carpet kits through stock interiors. No problems from them. Was a little ticked that acc only offers cutpile for my applications, but thats not stock interiors fault. They usually have best pricing, and shipping is quick.

So ALL aftermarket automotive carpet, no matter who you order it from, is made by AAC.
Is that what I reading here?
It used to be 3. Then there was 2. Now 1?

That is my understanding of the situation. I live just SE of the the Dalton, GA. area which is the carpet capital of the US and there was a small company that was making automotive carpet. But through time, it was bought up by ACC which is located in Anniston, AL., not that great of a distance from this area.

That is my understanding of the situation. I live just SE of the the Dalton, GA. area which is the carpet capital of the US and there was a small company that was making automotive carpet. But through time, it was bought up by ACC which is located in Anniston, AL., not that great of a distance from this area.

So you're an automotive carpet reseller? Is there a company name/website? Sorry if you already mentioned this and I missed it.

My take on this.
Shop for the absolutely lowest price.
It's from ACC regardless.
Yes, that would be the case. There's still customer service though. You can buy an ACC carpet on eBay a little cheaper, but there's more headache if there's an issue.

But really... That's the case with most stuff... Most headliners come from Acme Headliner (SMS does make their own) and most convertible tops come from the same vendor (Electron?) REM makes glove boxes etc.

For those that asked how to contact me, it is best just to send me a private message. If you view my profile page, it provides the website address. The website is less than 5% of the items that we are involved in the manufacturing of the product. So there are many items like the carpet that is not listed on the website. So it is best to just ask if we can provide the needed part.

As suggested above, the best thing to do is to check with your favorite vendor and get a quote. Shipping is a big part of the mix as the size of the box hits you with a dimensional weight surcharge, so depending upon your location can affect the bottom line price. I know that we deliver carpet to Carlisle and The Nats for customers who want to avoid the shipping cost.

Hey Big_John,
That carpet looks pretty cool...how did you use the solder gun to burn holes for seat bolts? Did you lay out the carpet, fit it as you wanted, then glue in places before burning holes?

Also did you come up from underneath?

That is sorta my plan...get the carpet in my '69 300 fitted the way i would want, glue it a bit then holes. I was gonna try the burn with soldering gun on the old carpet to get the hang of it...I guess I will just apply the hot gun to the carpet in a circular fashion?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Dave

Hey Big_John,
That carpet looks pretty cool...how did you use the solder gun to burn holes for seat bolts? Did you lay out the carpet, fit it as you wanted, then glue in places before burning holes?

Also did you come up from underneath?

That is sorta my plan...get the carpet in my '69 300 fitted the way i would want, glue it a bit then holes. I was gonna try the burn with soldering gun on the old carpet to get the hang of it...I guess I will just apply the hot gun to the carpet in a circular fashion?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Dave

The Barracuda carpet got "stuck down" in a couple places, but not really glued in place. My 300 carpet was a better fit and that is just sitting on the floor.

I use a round soldering iron. Get it good and hot first. It doesn't have to be anything special, in fact, a cheap one might be the way to go because you make a mess of it. I go from above. I find the hole and stick a sharp ice pick through the carpet and hole. That locates it 100%. I place the iron next to the ice pick and as I pull it out, I push the iron in. It won't take much to pierce the carpet and backing. Be really careful with the soldering iron on the way in and out of the car. It can make a mess of anything it brushes against. I make a point on being outside of the car and reaching in with the iron, then removing and setting it down immediately.

These guys have some great tips. Ignore the nonsense for the first minute or two. It gets much better after that.

Thank you Big_John! Very helpful! I am actually ready to buy a black carpet and I was going to use Stock Interiors .Com too. I am very confused though (my first time) on what type of carpet: 80/20, plush etc as I don't know what that means ...I just want a durable original look. Also if I should get the Mass Backing option for $82. Any thoughts out there? I have the 67 Polara "L" trim level 4 door sedan. I really appreciate the help everybody!

Back