[Solved] 383 2-barrel air cleaner size?

Zezima

Reaction score
Very dumb question, but not without trying, I recently just bought a 71 Polara with the 2 barrel 383 and it didn't come with an air cleaner, just the open carb, and we've been looking to put a new air cleaner on, and have tried everywhere we could and none seem to fit, and I've spent the past couple of days trying to source one with the proper base plate size and either I'm measuring wrong, which is a possibility, or I can't find it, I was wondering if anyone knew specific models they're using which fit the stock diameter and who might have them? Any help would be appreciated, I can't believe this has been holding me up as long as it has. Thanks.

On the air horn of the carb is a flat horizontal section around the top edge, just below a short vertical section, the outside diameter of that vertical section is the measurement you are seeking.

THEN, you will only find used air cleaners for a 2bbl, as all of the aftermarket air cleaners are for the "Holley size" 4bbls (which became the standardized size in 1968 and later.

There might be an adapter you can get to place a 4bbl air cleaner on a 2bbl carb, but that also raises the air cleaner about an inch, which CAN impact clearance with the hood.

Which part of TX are you in?

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

I should have added that it is adapters to allow the use of a 4-barrel air cleaner. It works for 2 different size 2-barrels.

On the air horn of the carb is a flat horizontal section around the top edge, just below a short vertical section, the outside diameter of that vertical section is the measurement you are seeking.

THEN, you will only find used air cleaners for a 2bbl, as all of the aftermarket air cleaners are for the "Holley size" 4bbls (which became the standardized size in 1968 and later.

There might be an adapter you can get to place a 4bbl air cleaner on a 2bbl carb, but that also raises the air cleaner about an inch, which CAN impact clearance with the hood.

Which part of TX are you in?

Hope this might help,
CBODY67
This seems to be the case. Only offers support for 4 barrel diameters with the only aid coming in the form of adapters. Other than that, most of the measurements I come across are 5 1/8.

I'm in the DFW area.

Mr. Gasket makes a kit that may work for you. It says that it adds about 1/2" to the height.
I should have added that it is adapters to allow the use of a 4-barrel air cleaner. It works for 2 different size 2-barrels.
Mr. Gasket is also the closest I've come to finding something that fits, so that kit may be my best hope other than just outright upgrading to a four-barrel carburetor in the first place.

IF there are any older salvage yards in your region, there might be an older Newport laying in the back lot somewhere, with the air cleaner in the trunk, possibly.

You may be looking for a Proform 66315 Air Cleaner Adapter, I recently purchased an air cleaner kit from Summ!t only to find that the new chrome bases have a much wider mouth. The adapter allows for the older style Carter type carbs to have a new chrome air cleaner. Got mine on A-----Z and fits perfectly on my 2BB 383.

Good luck,

PT

You may be looking for a Proform 66315 Air Cleaner Adapter, I recently purchased an air cleaner kit from Summ!t only to find that the new chrome bases have a much wider mouth. The adapter allows for the older style Carter type carbs to have a new chrome air cleaner. Got mine on A-----Z and fits perfectly on my 2BB 383.

Good luck,

PT
I appreciate the lead, I may just get that to see how it fits, thanks for letting me know.

You may be looking for a Proform 66315 Air Cleaner Adapter
Arrived today, this was it; direct fit. Much appreciated, @polaratherapy

a6c351f0f2db536c154b16583b0c1152.png

Looks like is solved, but some info for future reference.

The early-mid 60's factory AFB and the larger 2-barrel shown above have a 4-1/2" neck size.
Factory AVS and Holley of 68-71, and the Thermoquads are 5-1/8" neck size. (67 440 is 5-1/8", while 67 383 is still 4-1/2".)
Edelbrock AFB, AVS, Thunder Series, etc are also 5-1/8".

I found an air cleaner with the 4 1/4 opening for my OEM AFB, then wound up having to go to new carb. If you need one, send me a PC.

Back