Some body work needed..??

66SportFury

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. I have some small bubbles in the paint starting to form on the front side of the lower quarter on the passengers side rear of the car. I'm pretty good when it comes to bondo and getting it really straight and ready for paint, but should I use bondo or dive into welding in patch panels. I never did any welding before, so I'm clueless when it comes to that. I don't even know what type of welder is needed and i don't want to spend a fortune on one. Do I need a welder or can I use one of those line feed types. I guess that would be a braising type welder that you can get at Home Depot. I'll post some pics later of the area. Any information would great. Thank you!

How about one of these? $169 and $269 Both got good reviews.

Weld.jpg

Weld2.jpg

I would cut out the afflicted areas and replace with patches and weld them in. I am about to have to start on this on the drivers 1/4 on mine as well. If you want to swing out to my place I have a tig and we could knock it out pretty easily. Might have to stop for gas once or twice! It would be best to use a wire (mig) welder or a tig. Using a torch will put too much heat into the sheet metal and it will all start to warp and you will have hell trying to get it straight again.

I would cut out the afflicted areas and replace with patches and weld them in. I am about to have to start on this on the drivers 1/4 on mine as well. If you want to swing out to my place I have a tig and we could knock it out pretty easily. Might have to stop for gas once or twice! It would be best to use a wire (mig) welder or a tig. Using a torch will put too much heat into the sheet metal and it will all start to warp and you will have hell trying to get it straight again.

LMAO,.I wish, but that would be a hell of a ride from Jersey! Look at the pics I just posted above. what do ya think?

What ever you get do not use flux core wire. Make sure you can use CO2 gas and hard wire to weld on body panels. Flux core is ok for the most part with doing frames and heavy stuff but not good for thin sheet metal.

Think of rust as a cancer, it must be removed or it will just get worse.

I feel that once the metal has been compromised it should be replaced even if the source of the problem has been fixed.

Alan

What ever you get do not use flux core wire. Make sure you can use CO2 gas and hard wire to weld on body panels. Flux core is ok for the most part with doing frames and heavy stuff but not good for thin sheet metal.

So, those I posted above are no good for what I need? They both use use Flux wire with no gas.

I think you guys have Praxxair in NJ. If so, this little welder is what I use. I've done 3/16th's with it, and that's probably just beyond a real world limit for this little rig. BUT having said that, if you're never going to be welding heavy steel it's not a bad welder. It's a Lincoln 140 clone. Yup it's from chiner but so are all the others in this size range including blue and red. It takes Lincoln parts, and as a added bonus should ever want to feel the frustration of MIG'ing aluminum the spool gun is only $99, another lincoln clone, rather than $300.

Had mine for about 3 years now, bought it used. Once I figured out the correct flow for the unit it's been laying down great welds.

Add a bottle of C25 and you're set. Well that and a good helmet, can't stress the helmet enough... I went with one from kobalt at lowes, huge view area, fast shade and for $99, can't beat it.

http://www.praxairmidatlantic.com/g...g_Welder_140_Amp___Spool_Gun_Ready-1274.aspx?

Last edited:
I picked this lincoln starter kit up last year from lowes. It does both Mig, and flux. Deff stay away from flux when working with thin sheet metal. This thing has been a GREAT investment so far. Have no had any real problems with it. Granted its a small duty welder, but for a starter doing thin metal repair, its great IMO. Was only $323, and comes with everything you need (minus gas) to get started. Also would want to upgrade to a better helmet.

Gas is a little pricey when you first buy a tank, but after that refills are pretty cheap. I'm going through tractor supply. Was $125 for the first tank rental fees, and $25 to exchange tanks afterwards.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_366784-1703...der&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=mig+welder&facetInfo=

015082774350lg.jpg

The 120V MIGS are nice. If you can move up to a 220, it is worth it, even for a beginner.
Never ever buy any kind of Harbor Freight welder no matter how good a deal.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I bought my mig from Eastwood, and it works great so far. It is a Mig 135. Decent price too.

Thank guys. I think I'm going to purchase the Eastwood Mig 135. I just have to find a place that has the gas around here. I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Back