Son Of A, (Fill In The Blank)..... I Think I Almost Got Scammed.

SportFury70

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, my other hobby besides cars is old tractors. I love them just like Mopars and have from a very young age. I unfortunately don't have any Mopars....yet, besides my daily driver but I do have a tractor I'm currently restoring. I am in need of some parts BUT i just wanted to let you all know that I'm pretty sure I almost got scammed on getting, I kind of figured it was a scam but then I double checked with my stepdad and he agreed that it was a scam. Here is the story.....

I posted a wanted ad on one of my tractor forums that I am in search of gas tank gauge's and a member immediately responded saying to contact a fellow named aron, and gave me his email address.

I emailed the address the member gave me and I said I heard you have the gauges I'm looking for and asked for pictures, and he replied back hello buddy and that he had them in good an perfect condition but with no pictures when I asked for them in my very first message. A week went by and I said still wanna sell those gauges and I'm still waiting on pictures, he replied back sorry I been busy with work I still have them in good and perfect condition, $80 shipped to your door with FedEx. He asked me my address and I said again that I want pictures of them before I make a decision, before I make payment, and before you send them to me and I find out they are the wrong ones. He asked for my address 3 times and STILL didn't send any pictures to me so I can see if they are the correct ones or what the actual condition is.

Please let me know what everyone thinks.

Thanks & Best,

-SportFury70

RUN Forest.... RUN......
If you are having a hard time with a buyer or seller at the beginning of the transaction ,,,
more than likely it will only get worse...

I was dealing with a member on here for a part for a few months.. Finally got the info,
he sent some pics but they were not very clear and did not show the damage area,,
paid for the item,, received the item,, and guess what,,, it is totally useless...!
He refunded 40% of what I paid saying he would not refund the shipping....
Personally he should have refunded that as well as he should have checked the part to
be sure it was a useable part....

:confused: Did the person who asked for your address request a payment before sending?
I've had parts sent to me just because I had a need and the sender was happy to get rid of the stuff.

That’s a typical scam. I don’t have any but my buddy does. If the “fellow” is on a forum, what’s their history. Caution lights going off for me.

Here are the exact messages from our emails back and forth if it helps, copied straight from my email.

Starting with my first message on Feb 2nd below.....
Hello,
I was told by a member of the GTTALK forum that you have gas tank gauges I'm looking for. Can I please have some pictures of them when you have a minute to make sure they are the correct ones I'm looking for.

Message back from Feb 2nd below.....
I have it for sale in good and perfect condition
Where are you located??

Message back from Feb 2nd below....

I am located in CT, I am looking for 3 of these in my picture. If you can send over some pictures before I make a decision, it would be much appreciated
Thanks!

A week later on Feb 8th below.....
Hi,
Still want to sell those gas gauges? I'm still waiting on some pictures if you can get some for me before I make a decision on buying them, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Reply from Feb 8th below.....
Hello buddy
Sorry for the late reply I’m so busy at work it’s still available in good and perfect condition how many are you looking for?

Reply to Feb 8th below....
I'm looking for 3 of em

Reply from Feb 8th below....

I’m asking $80 shipped
What’s your shipping address??
Will be shipped by via FedEx to your door

Reply to Feb 8th below.....
Are the ones you got EXACT ones like in my picture here? I just don't want you to ship them to me then I open them and they are the wrong ones

Reply from Feb 8th below....
Yeah exactly
What’s your shipping address

**THIS IS WHERE IT ENDED!**

To me, your request seems a little on the urgent side. A red flag. There also seems to be a lack of understanding on both sides. I would have verified the parts existed before entering negotiations. If the parts are rare or hard to locate, one more try might be a good idea. But be more specific. Seems a lot is lost in the unspoken word.

The moment he said "hello buddy" is the end for me. Do I look like your buddy? Huh, well do I, punk!

"Buddy" is an endearing term, not to be taken literary. I use it when conversing with folks I don't know in casual conversation as a greeting or upon departing.

The moment he said "hello buddy" is the end for me
I agree with ya, I found that strange too and that's what threw me for a loop when it got me to think it was a scam. It's like you're not a friend of mine, I don't know you. I would of thought he would of just said hello or hello sir

I do have an update and good news..... I have found and bought the gas gauges I been looking for, and they are NOS too!

That big Auto Utuber (Vette Guy) that pretty much runs his channel like a contest to gain views and subs, and also to pitch his 'Merch', one of his merch key tags/fobs has the slogan 'Hey Buddy' which I take is some moniker for his channel.
On one video where he was parked like a jackass (illegal) and without a license plate on his Supercar, when the cop was sighting him for the offence's and he was trying to explain down the offences he called the cop 'Hey Buddy' which sent the cop into ballistic mode.

:rofl:

Hey SF70,here's my first vintage tractor.1954 Hiller Yardhand with reel mower.Tiniest tractor I've ever seen

20210915_190326.jpg

Back