Source for Tie Rod Castle Nuts

D Cluley

Reaction score
I didn't expect this to be the snag in my project.

I have a perfectly good tie rod end, but need to replace the nut. Went to Home Depot, bought a shiny new 1/2" fine thread castle nut. It screws on just fine, but it is too tall. When completely tight, the cotter pin hole is still covered by the threads. Compared it to the other side, and this nut is at least 1/8" taller. Is there some secret source for proper tie rod hardware, or should I just attack this one with the grinder.

I didn't expect this to be the snag in my project.

I have a perfectly good tie rod end, but need to replace the nut. Went to Home Depot, bought a shiny new 1/2" fine thread castle nut. It screws on just fine, but it is too tall. When completely tight, the cotter pin hole is still covered by the threads. Compared it to the other side, and this nut is at least 1/8" taller. Is there some secret source for proper tie rod hardware, or should I just attack this one with the grinder.
McMaster-Carr

generally slotted nuts are shorter than castle nuts...if you have an Ace hardware nearby check them...idk about fine thread though

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check ACE this week. Otherwise it looks like it would be cheaper to just order a whole tie rod end just for the nut.

What about grinding off that extra 1/8" from the non castled side? That should get you close enough to pass a cotter pin through.. just a thought.

Back