Source for Vinyl top 1972 Chrysler Newport Sedan

OldD77

Reaction score
Hello!
I was looking for a black vinyl top for my 72 Chrysler Newport 4-door Sedan, but somehow couldn’t find one who sells these.
I looked up legendary interiors, rock auto and Tops-online, who had no 4-door top for 72, only for 73 or 70.
So does someone know where to get one? Or will a 73 fit?
I also need a Poly Gold carped and a white headliner. I sure would love to buy these at one shop because of the high shipping costs to Germany.

Thanks already and sorry for my bad English :D
Greetings,
Aron

Try SMS Auto Fabrics You will need to know the type of vinyl grain as well as the color. Here below is an example of the quality representative material you will need.

20210629_195024.jpg

20210629_195048.jpg

20210629_195109.jpg

20210629_195116.jpg

20210629_195152.jpg

20210629_195206.jpg

20210629_195240.jpg

Hello!
I was looking for a black vinyl top for my 72 Chrysler Newport 4-door Sedan, but somehow couldn’t find one who sells these.
I looked up legendary interiors, rock auto and Tops-online, who had no 4-door top for 72, only for 73 or 70.
So does someone know where to get one? Or will a 73 fit?
I also need a Poly Gold carped and a white headliner. I sure would love to buy these at one shop because of the high shipping costs to Germany.

Thanks already and sorry for my bad English :D
Greetings,
Aron

I would think '73 would be identical to '72.

Thank you guys!
I just wrote sms-Auto fabrics an email and they have all the stuff I need!
Looks very good installed in your pictures! I already researched some information about the installation, do you have any tips or tricks or experience you would share?
What is the ,,normal” or ,,conventional” Vinyl top pattern called?

There is also Levant grain, which was on Imperials as well as on many GM cars (I think).

Last edited:
Thank you guys!
I just wrote sms-Auto fabrics an email and they have all the stuff I need!
Looks very good installed in your pictures! I already researched some information about the installation, do you have any tips or tricks or experience you would share?
What is the ,,normal” or ,,conventional” Vinyl top pattern called?

The car that @david hill pictured is Buttercup, my 1972 NYB. I have a number of references in her thread. I ordered from SMS and was lucky with the time it took for delivery. @73Coupe -- who helped me with the pattern and dimensions -- was not quite so lucky time-wise, though SMS did deliver the right product in the end. He also has a thread on the topic.

Should be "boar grain" vinyl top material. Confirm the color codes and such at www.hamtramck-historical.com in the "Library" section.

When you get the material, depending upon how they ship it, it could be folded up in a smaller box. Which is how the Chrysler factory tops were packaged. Might plan on some time in a warmer building or summer sun to get it all ready for installation.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you for your replies!
I still have no answer from SMS but I’m not in a hurry with the build, and I guess they just have a lot to do.
Greetings,
Aron

Back