"Special" Editions

00-1-0-jpg.jpg

1. Post #2: A running or salvage 1970 Newport 440. A picture of one from anywhere or time, or an ownership story?

2. Post #8. Road-worthy, auto-show "protoype" 1973 Plymouth Aspen, "basically a white 4drhtp Fury with a big blue snowflake on the side, ski racks and huge whitewall snowtires." Only one known to exist via eyewitness accounts.

3. Post #9: The 1969 Fury Snapper, No non-cartoon historical photos can be found, and not one single present-day example anywhere yet.

4 Post #10: The 1969 1/2 Plymouth Diplomat, "which appeared to be a Fury pillared coupe with Sport Fury ornamentation. It is these dealer initiatives and/or regional models that are the most difficult for automotive historians to discover and document." All we have is Toledo OH area dealer did them

5. From other threads: A REAL Fusie and Formal Newport Police Car. We knew they existed. We know WV and Illinois State Police had them, perhaps even NJ. Not a single pic, of one still around today, running or otherwise has turned up. Not even a broadcast sheet or fender tag of one has turned up.

6. Got one you're looking for/saw once? lets capture that on the list.

Thanks everyone for helping out with this thread.

1968 Polara 440 Magnum, 4 speed. 3.31 SureGrip, Canadian car (member's?). If it's here already in a thread, i missed it/cant find it. Article is dated June 2017.

Source: Finders Keepers: Donald Fecteau’s One-Of-One 1968 Dodge Polara 440 4-Speed

C-bodies seem to be a love it or hate it thing in the Mopar world. When they were new, they were considered the classy “businessman’s car” or the weekend family hauler. While many automatically think of Charger R/Ts or Hemi ‘Cudas when thinking back to the 1960’s and 1970’s, C-bodies played a huge part in that period of time. Many were used for service purposes, acting as police patrol cars, ambulances, and fire chief’s cars; they were even used in the coroner service! Put away those muscle cars and you’d see C-body Mopars behind the scenes of a lot of the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Besides the 300 Hurst editions and the very rare V-code 1970 examples, for the most part, there really was nothing muscular about them. While plenty were powered with big block 383 and 440s, they really just needed those big engines to haul that weight around. The C-body platform was very diverse, including everything from two-door convertibles to station wagons. These cars were big and heavy, quickly gaining the nickname “boats”. During its thirteen year life span, the C-Body platform would include the Chrysler 300, New Yorker, Newport, Town and Country, the Dodge Monaco and Polara, the Plymouth Fury, Grand Fury and VIP, and Chrysler’s ultra-luxury Imperial as well.

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-2-5.jpg

00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-3.jpg
00-1-2-4.jpg

Doing my nightly search for Bigfoots and stumbled across a couple Imp concept car drawings .. a couple are sprinked around here.

Highly doubt the Formal Imp (1974 Model done in 1971) made it even to clay let alone softtooled parts. a few cues made it to the production car -- sorta.

00-1-3-1.jpg
00-1-3-0.jpg

The proposed 1962 (done in 1959) progressed a bit further (actually maybe not .. are those "poles" underneath this car is sitting on, approx A-Pillar and C-pillar positions?) but I don't think this thing is driveable.

00-1-3-2.jpg

Doing my nightly search for Bigfoots and stumbled across a couple Imp concept car drawings .. a couple are sprinked around here.

Highly doubt the Formal Imp (1974 Model done in 1971) made it even to clay let alone softtooled parts. a few cues made it to the production car -- sorta.

My first thought on that picture was Cadillac
upload_2017-7-11_18-47-38.jpeg

eldo.jpg

source: Greg McNees's 1962 Imperial

Googled "1962 Imperial Taillights" and that's what showed up. Car is advertised as a '62.

View attachment 132991 View attachment 132992
View attachment 132993

didnt see 'em on '63's though the rear end looks similar obvously.

source: Carshow Classic: 1963 Imperial Crown Four-Door Hardtop – America’s Most Carefully Built Car

View attachment 132994

Quite a mix of parts on that car. Looks like it was restored in Cuba.

Quite a mix of parts on that car. Looks like it was restored in Cuba.

the 'gunsights" are outta place on McNees' car ... not AFT enough. shoot maybe it IS a '63 with '62 lights and the Imp forum should check that?

Imperial Club photo of McNees' car
00-1-2-1.jpg

Ad photo of 62 Imp
00-1-2.jpg

the 'gunsights" are outta place on McNees' car ... not AFT enough. shoot maybe it IS a '63 with '62 lights and the Imp forum should check that?

Imperial Club photo of McNees' car
View attachment 132998

Ad photo of 62 Imp
View attachment 132997

Where are you finding these one-off pics? I've never seen a '62 with skirts, (although I'm sure someone offered them) and; there was no chrome trim aft of the rear wheel on a '62 Imp. It does look like an ad shoot, but I've never seen a car with those add ons. I own a '61 LeBaron and used to own a '62.

I dont know anything about these cars manufactured when i was in pre-school. I just know how to read. :)

I give the sources in case people like you, who DO know these cars way better than me (for whatever reason), can followup if you see "odd' things .. and help us all get smarter.

so its just me picking out items that look interesting .. occasionally odd stuff turns up via random chance.

so its just me picking out items that look interesting .. occasionally odd stuff turns up via random chance.

Probably lost via lack of inflection, but I wasn't criticizing you. It's just crazy how many "altered" cars and Photoshops are out there on the Internet.

This is what the Internet is doing to history:

sorry if my inflection wasnt clear .. i LIKE to learn from people who know more than me .. no matter the topic. others here may be that way as well, or not so much.

after a while we tend to be able to figure out "who" were dealing with here .. insofar as possible for those of us who have ONLY met "electronically". :)

and the internet aint always "right" .. so when i am NOT the source of the info in a post, i like to provide where i found stuff if i can, cuz someone here is likely to accurately confirm or refute. which is my "raison d'être" for joinin' up here.

anyway, no harm no foul. :)

1956 Chrysler Windsor Spring Specials. The featured colors (hard to read) are "Copper Glow", "Crocus Yellow", "Blue Jade", and "Cloud White"

00-1-1.jpg

00-1-0.jpg

This might be a Crocus Yellow car (see jambs) with the Copper Glow interior.

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-2.jpg
00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg

I've never seen a '62 with skirts, (although I'm sure someone offered them) and; there was no chrome trim aft of the rear wheel on a '62 Imp. It does look like an ad shoot, but I've never seen a car with those add ons.

Carmine points out oddities with the top photo (source is Pinterest -- nothing beyond that). NO skirts on the 62's yet the first two pics show skirts and bright work aft along bottom of quarter. Plus, the wheel opening line is LOWER.

00-1-2.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg

The Allpar photo, of same car in same promo layout, does NOT have skirts, no extra chrome, and wheel opening line is higher where it belongs.

00-1-1.jpg

Carmine, upire right, somebody is messin' with us in the )Pinterest photo .. whoever's name is on the photo along the rocker panel appears to have shopped that photo for unknown reasons.

Aside .. promo vid piece for 62 Imps. It's a mans world .. :) Bonus, last two minutes is inside the "Imperial Plant". I recall a thread/post somewhere here when we were looking for pics inside that plant.

Many people think these roofs were supposed to look like this:

016full.jpg

But the real story was that the "pinpoint grain" was what the stylists were after. The material was DYED to a burgundy color by the supplier. With UV exposure, the dye faded reveling a goofy pattern. The company issued a recall (probably silent) and replaced the roofs with black or white at the customer's choice. Obviously not all of them made it back. It was in fact a special edition, the body and top colors.

Also, I have seen one in the "wild". I looked at this for sale example about 7-8 years ago. Passed because then (as now) I didn't need any more cars! And yes, that's my 1989 5th Ave with "special edition" 1980-only LeBaron 5th Ave grille.

1200536942.jpg

1200536935.jpg

1200529658.jpg

1200529655.jpg

Back