Spring relocating

crash113

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm working on my 66 sport fury and looking to do a spring relocation to fit wider tires. I did a bunch of research online and couldn't find much at all. Does anyone know of any kits or how it could be done in general? I'd really like to put some wide meats on the back but still want them to fit inside the wheel wells.

I'm not 100% sure, I'm looking to street/strip it so I'd love to be able to fit an 11-12". I'm not sure what I could get away with on a relocation alone. Eventually it will get back halfed but that's down the road.

it sounds like you need to build your own spring boxes and remove the gas tank and run an in the trunk setup for fuel similar to a drag car setup

it sounds like you need to build your own spring boxes and remove the gas tank and run an in the trunk setup for fuel similar to a drag car setup
Or back half it. :lol: I have an 8-8.5" rim with a 275 wide tire, and that's tight. Frame rails are your biggest obstacle the way the car sits.

Or back half it. :lol: I have an 8-8.5" rim with a 275 wide tire, and that's tight. Frame rails are your biggest obstacle the way the car sits.
Agreed & I guess it depends on how far in Crash113 want those springs...

Normally its' ladder bars running forward of everything for the best results without relocating the fuel system.

This might help, I don't remember how much he went into detail about the rear end setup, but he back halved the car and put in a ladder bar setup iirc. If you meant the big meats, cutting is the only way.

Well the original plan was to run a fuel cell in the trunk so that isn't a problem. I was also going to do a Caltracs setup with split mono leafs. For now what is available for a relocation kit? I know they have them for A,B and E bodies but what are my choices for a C body? That's my main concern right now, I'll just see what I can fit under for a tire after I figure out my options for spring relocation.

I don't think there much out there for C body cars, but there might be something. I've only looked at back halving options.

Just looking at my car, you could mimic the A body spring relocation kit, and move the springs under the frame rails. Not sure what interference there would be.

I installed the kit below in a 68 B-body. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a C-body, but I do know if there IS a reason why, you'll hear it here... LOL!
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 6.37.23 PM.png

Ladder bars are the best option without cutting the hell out of the car. I assume you are going to run a Dana 60 with 11" or 12" tires since your stock 8.75 rear will probably expire if you are running enhanced horsepower ie 400hp or greater. About 8.5 inches tire width is all that can be accommodated between the fender and the inner side of the wheelhouse with chopping something unless you are going to get the tires below all that.

Dave

When the Flyin' Whale ('66 Chrysler 300) was built back in 2005, Henry, the builder, moved the front leaf spring inboard 7/8" for tire clearance. I don't know exactly what he did but I don't think it involved a lot of fabrication and the rear tires he put on it are 295/50-R16's and they fit WITH the skirts. Those tires are 11.6" wide on 10" wide wheels.

I disagree with Dave's comment above on the 8.75 rear based on the experiences my fellow racers in the SuperCar Races series (similar to F.A.S.T.) have had. If you are going to run slicks and do a lot of drag racing then maybe the 8.75 could have some lifespan issues otherwise tire spin takes a lot of stress off the drive train. Also, an 8.75 can be beefed up to handle high HP.

With an automatic and shift kit, the 8.75 held up pretty well behind a hemi with 425 hp. When you start talking slicks with a 4 speed, usually things start to break. Do not know what the OP is running for either horsepower or transmission, so I suggested the Dana as the safe choice.

Dave

I am on the lookout for a Dana 60 because I'm building a stroker 440 and I know the 8.75 won't last long behind it. Also as I stated earlier I am putting a caltracs spring and bar setup in the rear so that will be covered. Maybe I will just look into the B body relocation kit and see if I can make it work.

I put a Dana out f a 67 B body in my 65 with the perches in the stock location.
Relocating the front of the springs would be similar to an A or B body with the kit.
The problem is, the rear frame rail does not lend itself to an easy adaptation of the shackles.
I measured a bunch, and at 3 1/4" you could use a hole saw on the frame, and weld in sleeves.
For me, I have 11 1/2 " tires, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Ladder bars are the best option without cutting the hell out of the car. I assume you are going to run a Dana 60 with 11" or 12" tires since your stock 8.75 rear will probably expire if you are running enhanced horsepower ie 400hp or greater. About 8.5 inches tire width is all that can be accommodated between the fender and the inner side of the wheelhouse with chopping something unless you are going to get the tires below all that.

Dave
That’s not necessarily true. My 66 newport I fit an 11.5 with the side skirt. Never drove with them but they did clear. I have a set of Hoosier QuickTime Pro’s that have a 29x11.5r15 I’m putting on the car. Wheel spec makes a worlds difference.

D5B07CDE-0B56-438C-992C-A8E31092F0A0.jpeg

That’s not necessarily true. My 66 newport I fit an 11.5 with the side skirt. Never drove with them but they did clear. I have a set of Hoosier QuickTime Pro’s that have a 29x11.5r15 I’m putting on the car. Wheel spec makes a worlds difference.

View attachment 645077
What are the specs for that wheel?

Back