stab distributor gear oil pump drive shaft 68 440 motor

saylor

Reaction score
o wise and venerable forum!

i need to stab the distributor gear. the book says set the timing to #1 TDC / "0" on the timing marks, and then set the drive shaft gear so it is parallel with the centerline of the crankshaft. the reference pic makes it look like the distributor slot is 12/6 position when standing at the front of the motor.

so my motor is set at -10TDC right now. do i still follow the book procedure, or try to guess 1 tooth back, or whats my move.

your pal -

- saylor

Set the engine at 0° TDC and set the gear as it shows in the FSM.

It may take a couple tries as the gear spirals as it sets in. I always just stick a large screwdriver in the slot to "unwind" the gear.

srry for no pic earlier i was on another pc . . .
20181104_115835.jpg

1 1/4" Socket and a breaker bar will get that to 0.

well it moved really really easily to 0. i guess ive only tried to hand turn broken motors :)

then i did the thing. how we look boss?

20181104_182231.jpg
20181104_182253.jpg

the tape mark @ side of ALT is about where the north end of the rotor is pointing i guess im calling that #1? as long as I follow firing order CCW from there im in business?

thusly?
20181104_191704.jpg

That's good as long TDC for #1 is on the compression stroke.

The usual "it won't fire" problem after assembly is the distributor being 180° out.

roger roger Mr. Big John thx for the help. we just did a writeup on stabbing the distributor gear oil pump drive shaft and lining up the distributor :) with pics !

:usflag:

Can someone tell me what "stab" means?

I'm well aware of the weak press-fit of the gear (and the failure of the hex at the pump) of the OEM drive shaft, so I'm assuming this is some mod to stake the gear onto the pump shaft.

I've been using the Direct Connection/MP items for years, and really should put one in my 300. Maybe I'll order it from Mancini today.....

stabbing the distributor gear oil pump drive shaft
When you install the distributor, you have to stick it in slightly off the mark so that it slides into place taking into account the gear is a spiral and won't go directly in.
Like sticking in a knife and twisting it so that it ends up in the right place.
You'll understand better after taking a few stabs at it.

When you install the distributor, you have to stick it in slightly off the mark so that it slides into place taking into account the gear is a spiral and won't go directly in.

Thank you, fellow Floridian! I'm completely familiar with the few degrees of "rotation consideration" when installing the drive, I'd just never heard the term "stab".

Back