Stalling after driving for about an hour...

i think fixing the fuel line will help. it looks like it's laying on the intake as big john said. when you fill it are you filling it based on the gauge reading? are you sure that it is empty and not half full with the gauge reading empty? check to make sure that the bottom of the tank hasn't been dented in too.

Pic of vent hoses. 2 on right side of pic: 1970 Plymouth Fury.
Fuel tank sending unit in foreground. For grounding, pull blue wire with black connector.
IMG_20200913_154106.jpg

i think fixing the fuel line will help. it looks like it's laying on the intake as big john said. when you fill it are you filling it based on the gauge reading? are you sure that it is empty and not half full with the gauge reading empty? check to make sure that the bottom of the tank hasn't been dented in too.

Thanks!

Been under the car PLENTY! :) The tank is not damaged. The fuel gauge in the dashboard is not working at all. So all I have to go on is how much gas I can get in to the tank when I am thinking that it is empty, which is 10 gallons.

Maybe I will let it go past that (based on the fact that I average about 8 ~ 10 ~ 12 MPG to see how far it will go. I have been using my trip meter and once I hit about 80 miles I go get gas (if not before) and at that point I can get about 10 gallons before the gas is sloshing out of the filler neck..

If it only takes about 10gal to fill it up, it is either the wrong tank or it is 1/2 full of sludge. Tank had an advertised capacity of 24gal.

Dave

If it only takes about 10gal to fill it up, it is either the wrong tank or it is 1/2 full of sludge.

Dave
You think that there could be that much sludge in it??? Just the idea makes me cringe since I have been driving it. DEFINITELY time to pull it and get it cleaned (or replaced - no biggie since it is not the original tank anyway)

Thanks Dave! :)

You think that there could be that much sludge in it??? Just the idea makes me cringe since I have been driving it. DEFINITELY time to pull it and get it cleaned (or replaced - no biggie since it is not the original tank anyway)

Thanks Dave! :)

I pulled a tank a couple of years ago that read 3/4 full, all sludge. Car had been sitting for 20 years.

Dave

Remember that the fuel pickup tube (and related strainer on the end of it) sit on the bottom of the tank, as the sending unit "float" rises and falls with the fuel level.

CBODY67

Thanks!

Been under the car PLENTY! :) The tank is not damaged. The fuel gauge in the dashboard is not working at all. So all I have to go on is how much gas I can get in to the tank when I am thinking that it is empty, which is 10 gallons.

Maybe I will let it go past that (based on the fact that I average about 8 ~ 10 ~ 12 MPG to see how far it will go. I have been using my trip meter and once I hit about 80 miles I go get gas (if not before) and at that point I can get about 10 gallons before the gas is sloshing out of the filler neck..
10 miles per gallon and 80 miles equals about 8 gallons so it sounds like you are okay there. try going 100 miles and see if it takes about 12 gallons, then you will know.

Also a possibility that the fuel pickup tube has a rust hole in it so the it can only draw fuel part way down the tank.

Dave

I had a similar problem recently and found the two wires down by the pigtail near the distributor that connect to the distributor were frayed\burnt\exposed. Temporarily taped them until I can get 15 minutes to splice in the pigtail I purchased and has been running well since.

I had a similar problem recently and found the two wires down by the pigtail near the distributor that connect to the distributor were frayed\burnt\exposed. Temporarily taped them until I can get 15 minutes to splice in the pigtail I purchased and has been running well since.
Thank you for the tip. I will check it.

Back