Start problem

Pierro

Reaction score
Hi,
following the change of my ignition coil, spark plug wires, my 300 no longer wants to start. The Hot light comes on as soon as I turn the ignition key and nothing happens. Could you help me find the problem please.
Thanks a lot.

following the change of my ignition coil, spark plug wires, my 300 no longer wants to start.
At first blush, I'd say to swap the coil back to the original and try that. But then there's this..
The Hot light comes on as soon as I turn the ignition key and nothing happens
First, he hot light should come on when you try to start and go off when you release the key. That's normal.

But when you say "no longer wants to start", do you mean the engine won't fire or do you mean the engine won't turn over?

I'm kind of assuming the engine won't turn over from that statement. So.. The first thing to check is if the car is in "park". Next thing is to check if you've knocked off any wiring during your installation of new parts (we've all done that).

Before any of us go any deeper, I think the question of if the engine is turning over needs to be answered.

Assuming the engine is turning over, then I would check all the wires. Are these wires the type that you have to assemble by putting the ends on? If they are then check that you are getting spark from the coil lead to the distributor cap. It seems like too much of a coincidence for it to be something else. Put the old parts back one at a time starting with the coil.

Is it possible the ignition wires were installed in the wrong place on the distributor?
Did you do the wires one at a time or all at once?

At first blush, I'd say to swap the coil back to the original and try that. But then there's this..

First, he hot light should come on when you try to start and go off when you release the key. That's normal.

But when you say "no longer wants to start", do you mean the engine won't fire or do you mean the engine won't turn over?

I'm kind of assuming the engine won't turn over from that statement. So.. The first thing to check is if the car is in "park". Next thing is to check if you've knocked off any wiring during your installation of new parts (we've all done that).

Before any of us go any deeper, I think the question of if the engine is turning over needs to be answered.
When I turn the key the engine doesn't turn, just the hot light comes on. I just changed the ignition coil and its capacitor, as well as the sensor on the gearbox. This didn't solve the problem, I don't know what to do anymore.

When I turn the key the engine doesn't turn, just the hot light comes on. I just changed the ignition coil and its capacitor, as well as the sensor on the gearbox. This didn't solve the problem, I don't know what to do anymore.
OK, that points to one (or more) of several things.

First is to check if the battery is charged. If it is, here's how you can check what the problem is. There is a starter relay mounted either on the firewall or inner fender. This is the next thing you are going to need to check. It looks like the picture.

See the two terminals circled in red? Take an old screwdriver and touch both those terminals. The engine should turn over. If it does, that is probably a bad relay, but there are other issues that could cause the problem. Try that and get back and tell us what happened and we can help you figure it out from there.

starter relay.jpg

OK, that points to one (or more) of several things.

First is to check if the battery is charged. If it is, here's how you can check what the problem is. There is a starter relay mounted either on the firewall or inner fender. This is the next thing you are going to need to check. It looks like the picture.

See the two terminals circled in red? Take an old screwdriver and touch both those terminals. The engine should turn over. If it does, that is probably a bad relay, but there are other issues that could cause the problem. Try that and get back and tell us what happened and we can help you figure it out from there.

View attachment 635094
I did this manipulation and it's ok, the starter turns.

I did this manipulation and it's ok, the starter turns.
Great! That means the battery and cables are good.

The next thing to do is check the neutral safety switch. Since you have changed that, it makes me think to check that next. I've circled the terminal in yellow. Disconnect the wire attached to that terminal and use a test light or meter to check the continuity to ground when the car is in neutral or park. One side of the test light (or meter) is connected to 12 volts positive (+) and the other to the end of the wire. You should have continuity to ground. If you don't, the problem is the neutral switch or wire.

starter relay.jpg

Great! That means the battery and cables are good.

The next thing to do is check the neutral safety switch. Since you have changed that, it makes me think to check that next. I've circled the terminal in yellow. Disconnect the wire attached to that terminal and use a test light or meter to check the continuity to ground when the car is in neutral or park. One side of the test light (or meter) is connected to 12 volts positive (+) and the other to the end of the wire. You should have continuity to ground. If you don't, the problem is the neutral switch or wire.

View attachment 635095
I connected the plus to the battery and the minus to the terminal wire circled in yellow, the lamp does not light up.

I connected the plus to the battery and the minus to the terminal wire circled in yellow, the lamp does not light up.
the car in parking position the light does not come on, however in neutral position the light comes on.

That means a problem with the neutral switch.
the car in parking position the light does not come on, however in neutral position the light comes on.
Ahh... I was just going to tell you to try moving the shifter.

You should be able to start the car in neutral.

So, it's either the neutral switch, or possibly the shifter linkage is off just enough to cause a problem.

That means a problem with the neutral switch.

Ahh... I was just going to tell you to try moving the shifter.

You should be able to start the car in neutral.

So, it's either the neutral switch, or possibly the shifter linkage is off just enough to cause a problem.
Thank you very much. I just managed to restart it . I think the box rod is poorly adjusted.

Thank you very much. I just managed to restart it . I think the box rod is poorly adjusted.
That's great news!!

I suggest getting a Factory Service Manual for your car if you don't already have one. Service Manuals – MyMopar doesn't have a '71 Chrysler manual to download. (I think you have a '71). They do have a '70 Chrysler manual and that should be close enough to help you adjust the linkage.

Back