Starter question

60fury

Reaction score
Will a later gear reduction starter fit in a 1959 413? I don't have an interchange manual. Just wondering, Thanks

No It won’t fit. It is a different set up and mounting.

Last edited:
Because it’s like putting a dodge mini starter in a Ford, it’s totally different mounting.

The starter on a cast iron '61 and older torqueflite transmission is a Bendix type starter, the later aluminum transmissions went to a gear reduction starter with a completely different mounting system. So no the later starter will not fit.

Dave

An aluminum tranny will only fit on 62 or later engines. You would need an aftermarket adapter to use the 62 and up tranny on a 61 or older engine. The setup is completely different and the newer starter will not work.

Yes, gear reduction starters are available for 413s with the cast iron torqueflite transmissions and have been for some time now.

NEW IMI HIGH PREFORMANCE STARTER FITS CHRYSLER 300 1959-1960 1053471 46579 | eBay

I was considering putting one on my 300F but decided not to because it is too original to start deviating from pure stock.

If you go this way, let us know how it works out. The originals really seem to struggle compared to the newer gear reduction starters.

An aluminum tranny will only fit on 62 or later engines. You would need an aftermarket adapter to use the 62 and up tranny on a 61 or older engine. The setup is completely different and the newer starter will not work.
Thank you!
I did not know that the bell housing mount at the back of the engine changed with the 1962 model year. A very important piece of information.

Actually, the mount is the same. The back of the blocks are not different. The difference is the crankshaft. The 61 and older cranks are extended in the back where the flywheel or torque converter bolts to it. By putting a 62 or newer crank in an older block you could then use a newer aluminum tranny and starter. My friend had a 60 block and did that when he was having some machine work done to it and he ended up using a 4-speed behind it.

The starter mounts to the trans case 727, or the bellhousing on a cast iron trans. It doesn’t mount to the block.

As said above The block is the same. The crankshaft is different.

The starter mounts to the trans case 727, or the bellhousing on a cast iron trans. It doesn’t mount to the block.

As said above The block is the same. The crankshaft is different.
I never wrote that the starter mounts to the block.
I read the above and misunderstood that the bell housing was different.

On a 61starter can anybody tell me if manual and auto starters innterchange?
Also if 61 poly 318 and big block starters interchange?

Plus the number of teeth on the older ring gear is a different number to the 62 onwards ring gear. I can remeber the actual numbers but its some thing like 140 odd on one and 170 odd on the other

Back