WANTED starting the hunt for a 71 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

robio

Reaction score
Contact seller
First off all, please know that i understand what i am asking. I may be new to the site, but not clueless. I know that i am not alone in thinking 300s and imperials from around 1970 are beautiful.

Here is the deal.

My driving days may be limited due to having 2 cornea transplants. I can still see, so I want to make the best of it every day by driving something that makes me smile when I see it.

I am 51, and been in the antique/junk business my whole life. I have owned many nice cars, all of which I just kinda stumbled across. The list has cars from every decade since the 30s, but is predominantly mopars, none were cream puffs except for a 64 imperial, some decent drivers. 69 Charger, 70 super bee, dart, 50s desotos, many trucks, 64 300 convert, 64 newport, 64 new yorker, 64 crown coupe, and many more.

I have wanted a 1970 2 door with hideaway headlights since the late 80s. No problem, I thought, I find all sorts of stuff, so when the time comes i will snag it up. Well, I blew through my 30s, then 40s, and still no 300 has fallen into my lap. Other cool stuff, but no 300.

I am stubborn, and hate asking for help, but I guess it is time.

Last april I was at a good ol boys place, bought some old flatheads, other motors and stuff, and a 2 door 73 newport with 440. Couldnt pass it up because I was able to flip the junk and basically get my newport for nothing. Like it, like the rear end styling, but I have to be honest about the grille, it just doesnt do it for me like the 70 and 71 300s.

So, on with the hunt. Then, found the 71 fury cop car I have posted on this site. I totally love the look and would cruise it every day. However, the more and more I learn how uncommon it is, it would be a crying shame if it was wrecked. I cant make it my daily driver.

This brings me to where I am at. Looking for a big C body 2 door with hideaway headlights. Again, people laugh as they read that and say "join the crowd".

I am not looking for a cream puff. i dont even want to completely restore one so numbers matching or options doesnt matter. Faded and weathered is OK. Since they are the top of the heap and pricey, a roller is fine and in the range I am looking. I have 440s around and can get one on the road.

My hunt continues, any help from this group would be appreciated.

Rob

Sorry to hear about the health issues...If I ever stumble upon a '70-71 300 2dr during my CL/FB searches, I'll send it your way.
Hopefully, another member here already knows of a nice 300 2dr for you...but I'll still look out for one!

I know what your saying, I have been working on two for the past 10 years and now I'm pushing 60 with some mobility issues and haven't driven either one yet. What's your price range? Does it have to be a '71? Would a '69 through '71 should fill bill? Does it matter, convertible or coupe? Several rollers have passed through here in the last month. If you want turn key, there are two Hurst models and a convertible on eBay right now. They have been there a while, a bid or an offer might get them for less. Good luck with the search!

I am not locked on a 71. I think the hideaway grilles are great. An imperial or 300 for that time frame would scratch the itch I have. Of course i would take a convertible if I found one, but am really picturing a 2 dr HT. Price is hard to nail down with condition and all. Like I said, a roller, no engine is fine. A little quarter rust is fine. If the floors are completely missing I would pass, unless it has good parts to finish off a decent body. You guys know all this, it totally depends on the situation. Short version is this, I want to save a little and shop on the project side of things, not spend big money for someone else's work.

I know one. Not a cream puff outside, but the interior is in excellent shape. Great color combo. I passed on it because it was bit too rusty and would have needed a repaint for me to be happy. That car is not being advertised and is not local to you, so PM me if you want me to connect you with the owner.

I know one. Not a cream puff outside, but the interior is in excellent shape. Great color combo. I passed on it because it was bit too rusty and would have needed a repaint for me to be happy. That car is not being advertised and is not local to you, so PM me if you want me to connect you with the owner.
Also check Oldride.com periodically for Chrysler cars for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back