Steering Question

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
1966 power steering pump and hoses...My Coronet had the original formed PS low-pressure return line - this is a 5/8" ID line, not the later 3/8" line. I found 5/8" fuel line to use, as the formed hose is no longer available from anyone, and all anyone sells is bulk hydraulic line. That has too thin of a wall and kinks, which makes that pretty useless.

The fuel line should be good for hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) use, right???

The return hose needs to be hydraulic hose. I got mine from NAPA. The hose is a low pressure made by Parker. I don't remember the Parker #.

IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

My bad the hose is Gates not Parker. And you might want to use a hose spring to keep the return hose from kinking. The Gates # can be seen in the top picture.

I'll need to find a spring. That part# is for bulk hose. As I feared, the formed hose isn't available at all. The spring will help a bunch!

Well, I'm pissed. The fuel line hose installed without kinking. However, the purpose-made return line (non-formed) kinks like mad, even with a spring installed. It kinks at the box and the pump. Screw it. I'm gonna run the fuel line, as it fits without kinks and like the ps hose, is resistant to decay from oil and lube. Not a soul on the friggin' planet has the formed hose.

I have, two different hose companies that specialize in hydraulic hoses and oilfield equipment, and both headquartered here in OKC. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

One made my HP hose for less than I could get that at the parts store.

Back