Steering Upgrade?

AAR65

Reaction score
I finally got my power steering working and it screams early 70s Buick. The boost is so over the top that a simple spin of the finger gets the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Anything out there that bolts on? Something with a touch better road feel without the 20,000psi boost I feel?

If it were a GM product, everyone goes to the Jeep Gran Cherokee box, but obviously that is no bolt in.

There was an article in one of the Mopar magazines that described how to lower the pump pressure so that it reduced the amount of 'assist'. I'll need to look for it.

Have you tried a Steering Box from Firm Feel? They offer three different stages and I believe they also do Power steering pumps,so you may want to give them a call,even if you just want to change out your pump.I'm sure they can help.I know their steering box runs around $400.

Maybe add a steering stabilizer from an old school solid axle 4x4?

You can adjust the bypass in the box to return more of the pressure in order to get less assist from the ps system. It should have a spring in the box on the bypass valve you would need to put a lighter spring on it or take some of the tension off of the spring and allow the pressure to bypass and that should help.

I had several units from Firm Feel, and there were either leaks, slop in the gear or poor directional feel. After the third replacement I gave up and went with Steer and Gear. I had good results with Steer and Gear the first time, and they will adjust the level of firmness to your liking.

I went with steer and gear and I love the feel of it. Very helpful with great customer service!

Follow the mopar action article very easy, very cheap, very effective, this is of course if you have a Saginaw pump if not get one then follow article.

Went to put it on yesterday. They sent me the wrong box. They told me I needed the small sector box (1 1/8")...WRONG. So now I wait again. I'll keep you posted when it happens. FYI - you need the 1 1/4" sector box. I maybe should have known that a C Body would be the large size but Bergman Auto said the small was what I needed. Live and learn.

Hard to get good help these days. Only A-bodies used the "small sector" steering gear, and the last year for that was 1972, when they switched to the same "large sector" as our cars. I have both A & C body. The plumbing fittings also changed over the years, both inlet and return, so verify that. You can swap those between different gear boxes, but don't send your core back until sure you don't need those parts. If you get a Saginaw pump, you will need different brackets. Bouichillon and others sell them. I understand the Saginaw pump is more efficient, plus easier to find (GM). Our cars had the "TRW" pump. Around 1970(?), they changed to the similar-looking "Federal" or "Chrysler" pump, which I think continued when some cars got the Saginaw pump.

All the rack & pinion setups I have seen are part of a complete front-end replacement w/ coil-over springs that you weld to the frame rails. Very expensive (~$3000) and never seen one for a C-body. Anything you fabbed yourself would need strong supports off the K-member (difficult engineering design). If you get it wrong, you could get "bump steer" or the steering wheel turns reverse direction. The later might keep someone from stealing your car, and you'd get the hang of it eventually. Nothing wrong with Pitman arm steering. My 85 M-B uses that and it has good "road feel". I think most pickups still use Pitman arms.

That Borgeson unit looks pretty nice, but it listed for darn near $1000 by the time you get couplers and parts. Too rich for my blood. I will, however, be printing out that Mopar Action article to put in my service binder and use later.

I finally got my power steering working and it screams early 70s Buick. The boost is so over the top that a simple spin of the finger gets the steering wheel from lock to lock.

Anything out there that bolts on? Something with a touch better road feel without the 20,000psi boost I feel?

If it were a GM product, everyone goes to the Jeep Gran Cherokee box, but obviously that is no bolt in.

That purely and simply is the sign of a badly rebuilt steering box. I bought a reman box that did that and took it back for another. Which has ¼" of slop in the bottom of the shaft where the pittman arm attaches. Check Mopar Action for the article on the fellow (in upstate NY I think) who reworks current gen GC boxes to work in older Chrysler products. Even E'berg gushed about these boxes. Apparently the next best thing to a rack & pinion.

All A,B, &E used small sector up to and including 1972 except AAR & T/A and all 71 340 e-bodies these used large sector and fast ratio pitman arm. 1973 and up all used large sector splines but boxes and pitmans where still body specific.

Back