Steering wheel helping hand part two

The Goose

Reaction score
Ok guys. For a little more than the cost of a leather wrap I scored a nice replacement wheel. No cracks warts etc etc only problem is it's green. I've painted just about anything you can paint on a car to make it new looking even carpet ( it works!!! ), but I've never painted a steering wheel.

After a few bidding wars ( they upped the price in person ), I'm now understanding a cheap woodgrain is going to take a while to find so I'd like this paint to last.

What's the best way paint this sucker. Do I sand it smooth but not to bare plastic or sand all the paint off and use some magic plastic paint??? I'm thinking maybe radiator paint cause it's crazy strong. I don't know, point me in the right direction please. Im just afraid of winding up with a sticky wheel. the color it needs to be is glossy black.

If it comes out nice enough I might scrap the whole woodgrain idea for good.

Thanks for the help I'm sure you guys know the score.

IMG_8775.jpg

IMG_8772.PNG

IMG_8773.PNG

Doing a Google search reveals the best option for you would be the steering wheel guy Doug Lepak in Edmonton Alberta.

Facebook page
The Steering Wheel Guy - Automotive Customization Shop - Edmonton Alberta.

There are various websites providing advice but it seems the first thing is a grease and wax remover before cleaning and sanding priming and repainting.

A hot rod magazine article on Doug said his paint was primer then white then colour coat then clear but the guys will provide their advice.

Good luck

Way back when, many moons ago, I painted a steering wheel and it came out looking pretty good and lasted until the rest of the truck wore out around it. It did pick up a couple chips over the years, but I don't remember it actually wearing away. Seems to me I used Dupont's Centari on it. I just sanded it down to nice and smooth and sprayed away. Probably just dumb luck. I have photos of my son with the truck when I finished it (age 5 at the time) and his last birthday was his 43rd, so my memory may be a bit befuddled........ :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. I'm kinda spinning my wheels until it shows up. I'm just thinking if that ancient paint is good under all that mung a good light sanding ( not all the way thru it ) might do the trick. If the old stuff shatters after I add new paint. I'll take it down to bare plastic. If that sound like a recipe for disaster somebody stop me.

The wheel is molded in that color.

I would clean it well, rough it up with some scotch brite and epoxy prime then paint and clear.... Lots of clear...

I would paint the center with SEM paint for plastic. Clean with SEM soap and use their adhesion promoter. Follow their directions to the letter. I did mine that way a couple years ago and it still looks great.

You could try using the SEM paint on the wheel too... But I think the coating will wear through.

I removed the leather wrap from my wheel in my Barracuda and expected to find that it was put on to cover up cracks... I was more than pleasantly surprised when the wheel was almost perfect under the leather.

b5gAnAF.jpg

Vy1js7c.jpg

475UV6g.jpg

As stated above, the wheels are cast using colored resins. In my experience, almost all painted wheels chip over time. Your best bet for longevity is to have the wheel recast. The resins they use today are superior in every way to what was used 40+ years ago. I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the wheel you purchased will almost certainly crack at some point. I had my wheel and shift ball recast in the correct color and they are guaranteed to not fade, shrink, crack or chip for as long as I own the car. Quality Restorations in Poway, CA did the work on my wheel and shift ball. qualityrestorations.com/

35628043912_5e240452b5_b.jpg

AA2A2826-D4C4-406A-8A81-CA0C40BD45B7.jpeg
08F81CA1-758C-4066-9148-B671967EF25A.jpeg
D3888B50-8EDD-4363-A025-91D4A7B3C5D5.jpeg
62303343-5CC2-406E-8954-411B9AA44549.jpeg
346F7F85-1D63-437C-B5F7-3098386C9AA8.jpeg
BDF98F92-4D3D-4A81-8F86-75CDB7A60B52.jpeg
49DBC8B4-D043-45C2-9A71-BBAC14E32D6F.jpeg
474372E5-76B7-4827-9A33-CBF56B43B709.jpeg
F5B76F76-B2E8-4ACA-849C-DB613F2A2BC6.jpeg
8D45B6C3-5A8E-47E0-BAB2-2448E463E7F5.jpeg
The steering wheel guy Doug Lepak is the go too guy. He did my wheel, he does amazing work. If you can check him out on Facebook. That’s Doug in the first picture

I love that style wheel.

I think they call it the "recall" wheel because of the spokes are thin and can stab you in a crash.

I love that style wheel.

I think they call it the "recall" wheel because of the spokes are thin and can stab you in a crash.
yes it is. I had Doug make it a 2 tone Wood grain and black separated by the original stainless steel ring then had the console trim painted to match

Last edited:
The cracks come from shrinkage of the plastic as the oils evaporate out of it over time. No matter what. An "age thing".

Years ago, when I could still get one from the dealer, I got a new rim blow for my '70 Monaco. I was looking for a good switch, rather than go through the issue of threading a new switch into the old wheel. Only color was black. I asked out painter about painting it. He said (at the time) acrylic enamel with hardener. My interior is dark green.

I know it won't look "factory" in my '70 Monaco, but I think I'll put a Tuff Wheel on it. One of the repros. No issue of where the "horn button" is, that way, if others drive the car (when it drives again).

CBODY67

Here’s a couple of pictures of the wheel in my car. The spokes were rechromed as part of the restoration process
872E7F6A-7152-4837-A567-A299A3886742.jpeg
BE2D14EF-1717-468F-958F-14C02B382ED6.jpeg
View attachment 171305 View attachment 171306 View attachment 171307 View attachment 171308 View attachment 171309 View attachment 171310 View attachment 171311 View attachment 171312 View attachment 171313 View attachment 171314 The steering wheel guy Doug Lepak is the go too guy. He did my wheel, he does amazing work. If you can check him out on Facebook. That’s Doug in the first picture

The wheel is molded in that color.

I would clean it well, rough it up with some scotch brite and epoxy prime then paint and clear.... Lots of clear...

I would paint the center with SEM paint for plastic. Clean with SEM soap and use their adhesion promoter. Follow their directions to the letter. I did mine that way a couple years ago and it still looks great.

You could try using the SEM paint on the wheel too... But I think the coating will wear through.

I removed the leather wrap from my wheel in my Barracuda and expected to find that it was put on to cover up cracks... I was more than pleasantly surprised when the wheel was almost perfect under the leather.

b5gAnAF.jpg

Vy1js7c.jpg

475UV6g.jpg

Oh wow. Maybe I could just borrow that one !!! That is a nice surprise. So mines not painted huh. Okay I'll give it a shot no pun intended... I'm reusing my center, it's in pretty nice shape compared to my horrible wheel.

IMG_8615.jpg

Almost forgot I'll be able to pick up some real paint in AZ this weekend. Not that I'd ever bring it back out here to the land of water based carb cleaner. That would be against the rules. I'll hit space age in Mesa. They've been around forever and sell anything you could ever need. Gotta trust the guys with a full size general Lee funnycar hanging from the ceiling.

Big John is that a '66 ? I love those cars. I had a '66 Dart that was a real firecracker. It had one of those direct connection 360 circle track crate motors that were floating around in the 90's. I had Dennis Mauer throw a street cam in it as part of the purchase deal. Those early A body cars are sure under appreciated by the hobby.

IMG_4366.PNG

Big John is that a '66 ? I love those cars. I had a '66 Dart that was a real firecracker. It had one of those direct connection 360 circle track crate motors that were floating around in the 90's. I had Dennis Mauer throw a street cam in it as part of the purchase deal. Those early A body cars are sure under appreciated by the hobby.

View attachment 171468

'65 Formula S. 273 automatic. I used to have a '66 Dart and my sister had a '66 Dart GT.

gjmXKAl.jpg

I'd just buy a new one here and be done with it. Take the center section off and sell the green wheel. I'm sure someone on the forums will pay $75 for just the wheel itself. It's not like there aren't enough green cars around here. :D

https://www.pgclassic.com/260-b69

Almost forgot I'll be able to pick up some real paint in AZ this weekend. Not that I'd ever bring it back out here to the land of water based carb cleaner. That would be against the rules. I'll hit space age in Mesa. They've been around forever and sell anything you could ever need. Gotta trust the guys with a full size general Lee funnycar hanging from the ceiling.
I've spent way too much time and money in that store. They're expensive vs. prices you can find online. However, I am glad it exists for when I need something immediately.

Tom, you're right, you're so right about space age and the wheels... I looked at those but I know I'll find a used woodgrain at about that price or less, I hope, all in good time. I've found them before ( hint: buy it from the chevy guys ) this is just a stop gap until I find one. I almost rushed in on a junky woodgrain but my head beat out my heart. I know I'll never score anything like that gem of a recall wheel. To be honest something that nice really deserves to be in a nicer car than mine. It'll never be more than a knock around cruiser. I'm fine with that. I'll have about 47 hundred bucks into it after I buy my seat covers.

I'm going on the Spring Fling Show, Sherman oaks to Malibu cruise in April and I just want a cheap nonjagged wheel to enjoy the drive. I'm running out of time & I figured 100 bucks for the wheel was cheap enough to give it a go. My car was wrecked back in the day and the wheel is kinda wonky. It's awful for something like driving thru the canyons. Cracked AND bent sucks.

I'll put up pics to show how it came out. If anybody needs that green center they can have it for price of shipping or find me at the spring fling in van nuys on Saturday. Thanks again everybody. Best site on the net!!!

Back