Steering wheel

I had the same problem with my "Steering wheel to belly ratio" in my Dodge, then I joined Jenny Craig. It took some time and effort (around two years), but most of my Fitting problem disappeared when my belly disappeared. Do they have "Jenny Craig" in Sweden?

I had a novel way of losing 20 lbs. Got sick as a dog and puked my guts out for four days. Woke up in the ER looking at an unfamiliar gray ceiling thinking "this can't be good". Of course the hospital abused my insurance and ran me through every machine they could possibly find to jack up the bill. In the end the doc said it was an electrolyte imbalance due to severe dehydration. I could have told them that. After filling me back up with an IV I walked out 20 pounds lighter. I've kept it off for the last six months. Had to buy new clothes, went down at least one pant size. Don't try this at home though, rather rough on your kidneys.

1966 was the last year for that adjustable non-power seat track, as I recall. But it should also fit the later '67-'68 models too, I suspect, as they are (or should be) the same floorpan stampings.

One needs to be a bit careful in just drilling holes in the floorpan, though, to me. Some areas might be stronger (and better able to support weight, due to their shape/design) than others might be a few inches away. Which is why the power seat orientation makes more sense to me.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
If you look under the car you will see the seat holes are located where a cross brace is present. At least on my 66 it is. I suggest welding in what bnz84 found if you move the seat further back. The thin sheet metal will not hold anyone's weight without some support. The unistrut is available in hardware stores. Commercial buildings use it. Paint it for rust protection.

The bolt holes should be common, at least from 66 to 72. I swapped the seats from a 72 newport years ago. They fit in the existing holes. Ultimately recovered my original bucket seats and reinstalled them.

On an episode of "Engineering Disasters" they discussed an elevated walkway hung on unistruts that collapsed, fell several floors down and killed several people standing on it.

The cause of the failure was not using washers behind the nuts holding up the walkway. The nuts pulled through the holes with the extra weight of people using it. This caused the entire structure to fall during the initial opening of the building. There's a reason the body bolts and nuts used in our vehicles have captive washers. Don't forget that important detail. The impact of an accident could cause the seat to come loose if they are not there.

Back