Steering Wheel

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Looking for and need a steering wheel for a 1965 Sport Fury. Mine is totally a piece of .......... and needs to be replaced. I realize that more than likely there is not a pristine one somewhere out there but one that is in decent shape and repairable would be a giant leap forward. Also, is there are other years that would be the same, that works to? I have a picture of the existing steering wheel and where my projects is at the moment; everything painted a ready for reassembly. Thanks

Steering Wheel.jpg

Body.jpg

Last edited:
Might take yours to an upholstery shop and see if they can put a leather cover on it? NOT one of the covers that used to be available for such, but one that will end up like a late-model leather-wrapped steering wheel. Might be less expensive that way, if that matters.

Seems like there are some vendors who can re-cast your existing wheel and end up with a completely new item. But I recall the price can get near $700+ or so?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You're probably going to have to bite the bullet and send it to Quality Restorations. If it's a transparent wheel, you're looking at around $2k. I plan on sending both of mine in once I'm ready.

Might take yours to an upholstery shop and see if they can put a leather cover on it? NOT one of the covers that used to be available for such, but one that will end up like a late-model leather-wrapped steering wheel. Might be less expensive that way, if that matters.

Seems like there are some vendors who can re-cast your existing wheel and end up with a completely new item. But I recall the price can get near $700+ or so?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Like your first idea. Need to stabilize it first. Had a few cracks when I took it to the shop 2+ years ago but was left outside and this was the result. Moves the car three months ago and new shop is doing an outstanding job. Thanks for the idea.

I decided to buy a wooden wheel and go with a Black Walnut stain vs. the leather wrap. At the same time, I had the brushed look polished to a chrome shine. I got several estimates for the wrap and it was anywhere from $250 - $500. Whew! Have to draw the line somewhere on this restoration. My thought was if it didn't turn out, one can always have it wrapped. Two stains later, 7 coats to Tung Oil and 3 weeks and she looks good. The picture actually makes it look darker but it turned out to have different tones of browns and golden browns and textures giving it very good character. Thought I would share the result of before and after.

Steeting Wheel Light.jpg

Finished Wheel.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to buy a wooden wheel and go with a Black Walnut stain vs. the leather wrap. At the same time, I had the brushed look polished to a chrome shine. I got several estimates for the wrap and it was anywhere from $250 - $500. Whew! Have to draw the line somewhere on this restoration. My thought was if it didn't turn out, one can always have it wrapped. Two stains later, 7 coats to Tung Oil and 3 weeks and she looks good. The picture actually makes it look darker but it turned out to have different tones of browns and golden browns and textures giving it very good character. Thought I would share the result of before and after.
Finished putting on the 9th tung oil coat with the last two very light and the browns and the golden browns are beautiful. For a mere $350 dollars in parts and labor along with my labor valued at lets say $60 per hour I now have this gorgeous, walnut stained, polished aluminium, wooden steering wheel with with an intrinsic value of $1,000, give or take. This morning I go down to where my car is being restored, yes he works on the 4th of July, holidays, Sundays, anniversaries, birthdays, Bar Mitzvahs, weddings, divorces, etc. so you gotta love the guy. Anyway, I show him my gorgeous steering wheel with pride in my voice and he says, "it is really beautiful Gary but the painter was just here and and looked at your old one and he says 'I have restored over 50 original steering wheels that looked a lot worse than this one and I could restore this so it will look like new for about $250-$300 if he would like?" That's a no brainer given I am trying to keep it as original as possible. So now I have this gorgeous, walnut stained, polished aluminium, wooden steering wheel with an intrinsic value of $1,000, give or take, with no car to put it on! Consideration; install on the back side of the passenger bucket seat so the back seat driver has something to do besides tell me how to drive!

Back