still flooding

Thanks for the response, i'll try to respond with the best of my ability.

Yes! having a positive outlook before tackling a job can and will minimize the morale loss during the job, a sense of self fulfilling prophecy, or something along those lines.

Ignition system? good point i have a single breaker point with custom ground side gapped plugs (J plugs) with the gap increased to from .35 to .40 (Strictly to see if i "Feel" anything different, most likely not)
The points have been adjusted maybe the beginning of winter? (I don't drive as often as i like or should so the point life may be not too bad, just needs adjusting) Upgraded the coil to a 45K coil,
(I do realize that the voltage to jump the gap DETERMINES the out put spark in this case, hence why i used a bigger plug gap than stock) Anywho, i'll adjust plug gap to stock .35 with a point gap adjustment.

I'll inspect the float level aswel, I believe i had it set to 1 inch full and 3/4 drop? maybe the other way around?

Percolation! yes! i think that is the correct term, flooding/percolation term has been used so many times everywhere like as if it were related with each other, or otherwise had the same meaning.

It's a bit of a hodge podge settup i have, regarding the manifold + carburetor, Car initially came with a 2BBL stromberg was such a rugged and good carb i stayed with the settup for about 9 years till i dropped the hammer and bought a STOCK #2806301 intake manifold (1968-1969) Carburetor is a Carter AVS #4635S mounted on top is a velocity stack and a open air filter (Hot air intake in other words XD) mounted on top of a 361 big block Chrysler.

Aside from the spec of the manifold & the carb and all that, thought i should give a more detailed list of what's on the motor as of now, regardless i'll start simple with a float level adjustment and go from there, if i make multiple adjustments, i won't know what fixed the issue.

The NGK V plugs sound intriguing, i've heard some automobiles don't "Run right" unless it has the factory SFM stated plugs, I'll get some and experiment with it aswell.

Regarding the Compressor, it's got a leak in it but not enough that ALL of the R-12 is gone, another project for another day?

Appreciate the responses, this definitely got my head fed with thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I have run the plugs at .040" with the stock distributor and coil with no measurable difference from the .035" gap. When I first did the J-gap upgrade, it seemed the car came off-idle a bit stronger, but not significantly, but I could tell it was different and a slight bit better. With the V-Power plugs, a bit better, but not really documentable, but I could tell a bit of improvement. From the '67 Newport 383 4bbl and other cars I put them in, they made more of a difference with chambers like the LA motors have than the "wedge" B/RBs have. BTAIM

I mention the air flow under the intake manifold issue as with the late-'80s Camaro and Firebird V-8s and their hot fuel handling issues, GM put out a TSB on that, which basically was re-arranging some of the hoses and such under the hood. When I got around to actually seeing what was under there, the various a/c and other hoses completely blocked any airflow getting under the low air cleaner to the carb. Hence vapor lock and such, which was made worse by the very small float bowl capacity of the Rochester QJet carburetor. But they knew that EFI was coming in a few model years, so they were Band-Aid-fixing things, it appeared.

Take care,
CBODY67

Thanks for the information. I have run the plugs at .040" with the stock distributor and coil with no measurable difference from the .035" gap. When I first did the J-gap upgrade, it seemed the car came off-idle a bit stronger, but not significantly, but I could tell it was different and a slight bit better. With the V-Power plugs, a bit better, but not really documentable, but I could tell a bit of improvement. From the '67 Newport 383 4bbl and other cars I put them in, they made more of a difference with chambers like the LA motors have than the "wedge" B/RBs have. BTAIM

I mention the air flow under the intake manifold issue as with the late-'80s Camaro and Firebird V-8s and their hot fuel handling issues, GM put out a TSB on that, which basically was re-arranging some of the hoses and such under the hood. When I got around to actually seeing what was under there, the various a/c and other hoses completely blocked any airflow getting under the low air cleaner to the carb. Hence vapor lock and such, which was made worse by the very small float bowl capacity of the Rochester QJet carburetor. But they knew that EFI was coming in a few model years, so they were Band-Aid-fixing things, it appeared.

Take care,
CBODY67
That's what I noticed also when I removed the 2 barrel manifold, the compressor blocks so much of the frontal incoming air from travelling underneath the manifold air gap, not to mention the heat crossover tube heating up the manifold ain't helping!

Problem is, I'd like to stay with the divorced choke if possible and not block off the heat crossover.

Regarding the side gap modification, same story here as well. Better response but not too noticable if you try to measure it on the Dyno.

Anywho,
Later on.

Back