Stolen cuda!

What utter nonsense! Look at the examples recently - a Corvette missing for 20 years shows up on the docks in Long Beach on the way to Australia goes back to its' owner. A VW Bus missing for 25 years, same thing! Insane! "Did the buyer know it was stolen?" --- Last I checked, that does NOT matter!!! If you possess stolen property, you are as guilty as the person who stole the car in the first place!

I'm glad they got their car back. What happens to the guy behind the private gate should be painful, both in terms of a hit to the wallet and personal pain. THIS is the number one reason why I never, ever buy a vehicle that does NOT possess a legal title.

The issue here was the statue of limitations on the theft had run up and the police didn't have an open case.
They needed to dot their I's and cross their T's before they did anything.
In that time the car was torn down and it wasn't clear what the warrant covered, probably the "car" as identified by the VIN, not the shell and all the parts.
Apparently the person who had the car knew the end was near and might have been trying to recoup some of his money by tearing it apart (which apparently was done recently).
Last I heard that after they got the shell back the engine followed, it is hard to say how cooperative he was in returning all the other parts.

This was a low mile survivor that was mostly track driven.

Alan

Regardless this kind of red tape is a big part of this countries problem. If I buy a stolen car, stack it full of goodies , then find out its stolen I'd say I'm in line to loose my goodies! The moron bought a car with on a bill of sale. Sorry.... The moron bought a low mileage 70 cuda on a bill of sale. Who in their right mind spends the kinda money we know he spent on that car and accepts a receipt as confirmation of ownership. He deserved to loose his goodies!!

I don't think the guy who had the car put a dime into it and was hoping if he waited long enough the original owner would be at a different address and wouldn't get the lean notice. It was the lean notice that set this in motion. I feel the person with the car knew it was stolen (or that it might be) and tried to get possession through a lean sale. They waited long enough that the Grand Theft Auto was not an issue, their ploy bombed.

Alan

Thanks for the link Alan. I'm glad to know they got their car back. Just don't understand how there could be any confusion regardless of the statute of limitations. SMH!

Last edited:
I don't think there was any confusion on the statue of limitations, that covered the theft, they could not investigate/prosecute the theft.

So now they needed to verify that it was stolen and follow the protocol for recovering that property. I agree it should have been simpler I'm sure once the media was involved the police had to make sure they were doing the legal thing and not ending up with pie in their face.

Alan

My point being that statue of limitations shouldn't stop someone from getting their stolen property back. Who does the statue of limitations benefit other than the criminal or the person who bought said property? I guess the confusion is mine. How a statute of limitations can deem something that was once stolen , to be no longer stolen is beyond me. The way I see it if they found DB Coopers money in my grandmas safe, bottom line is "grandma....ya gotta give it back"!!:yaayy:

Last edited:
Regardless this kind of red tape is a big part of this countries problem. If I buy a stolen car, stack it full of goodies , then find out its stolen I'd say I'm in line to loose my goodies! The moron bought a car with on a bill of sale.

Oklahoma does NOT recognize a bill of sale at all. It is a useless piece of paper, in nearly all cases. They require a title on an Oklahoma vehicle or on a vehicle that comes from a title state. Also, if a vehicle is brought in from a no-title state (Alabama, Georgia, New York, etc), then there HAS to be proof that the car was/is registered in that state in the seller's name. And believe it, not every DMV employee is a complete idiot, at least, not here. They know exactly what states require what, and require that documentation to gain an OK title.

Hell, I brought over a '67 Belvedere I wagon in 1992, that was sold new in Belgium. I registered it while in Germany through USAEUR (US Army Europe, for those that do not know). Shipped it home through Houston and drove it to OKC. In Oklahoma, I had to show the original Belgian paperwork, the bill of sale translated (which I was able to to, and remember, no title on this one, as it was sold new in Antwerp, Belgium in late 1967!), and the USAEUR registration, and got my OK title and registration. The title clerk at the state Tax Commission (our DMV) knew what docs to ask for and what the process was. I was pretty impressed, actually! This whole deal took maybe 30 minutes.

Oklahoma does NOT recognize a bill of sale at all. It is a useless piece of paper, in nearly all cases. They require a title on an Oklahoma vehicle or on a vehicle that comes from a title state. Also, if a vehicle is brought in from a no-title state (Alabama, Georgia, New York, etc), then there HAS to be proof that the car was/is registered in that state in the seller's name. And believe it, not every DMV employee is a complete idiot, at least, not here. They know exactly what states require what, and require that documentation to gain an OK title.

Hell, I brought over a '67 Belvedere I wagon in 1992, that was sold new in Belgium. I registered it while in Germany through USAEUR (US Army Europe, for those that do not know). Shipped it home through Houston and drove it to OKC. In Oklahoma, I had to show the original Belgian paperwork, the bill of sale translated (which I was able to to, and remember, no title on this one, as it was sold new in Antwerp, Belgium in late 1967!), and the USAEUR registration, and got my OK title and registration. The title clerk at the state Tax Commission (our DMV) knew what docs to ask for and what the process was. I was pretty impressed, actually! This whole deal took maybe 30 minutes.
Michigan is the same way. Not sure about Oregon. It's bureaucratic bullshit ! If the gov' had a million in gold stolen 200yrs ago and I find it.....So ya think they'd let me keep it?? Hey! The statute of limitations was 150 yrs ago!!!

What were to happen if the original owner sees the car somwhere, gets in and drives off with it? Could you steal your own car, theortically speaking?? But then, he has the title...

What were to happen if the original owner sees the car somwhere, gets in and drives off with it? Could you steal your own car, theortically speaking?? But then, he has the title...
Considering what they had to do to get there car back, it would probly be a "new" crime!

There are only two crimes here, Theft and Possession. The statute only applies to the theft. Once the care was discovered the authorities need to go through the motions to verify the owner and what property belongs to the owner.

Within months the authorities had possession of the car and presumably the parts shortly there after.

I don't see the issue here, the authorities did their job, I don't see how they could have done anything different. You cant just take property from someone because the media says it is stolen. They followed on the details and verified the owner then dealt with it.

Alan

This is a perfect example of why I will never buy a car without a title. A high profile car like this Cuda should have been huge a red flag but even a parts car dragged out of a field is suspect. It doesn't even need to be stolen, without a clear title present, you could be subject unknown to past liens.

There are only two crimes here, Theft and Possession. The statute only applies to the theft. Once the care was discovered the authorities need to go through the motions to verify the owner and what property belongs to the owner.

Within months the authorities had possession of the car and presumably the parts shortly there after.

I don't see the issue here, the authorities did their job, I don't see how they could have done anything different. You cant just take property from someone because the media says it is stolen. They followed on the details and verified the owner then dealt with it.

Alan
Not trying to perpetuate an argument, I just don't understand why it took months to get a car they knew was stolen AND knew the location of. Copy of original title and a pair of eyes to look at the vehicle in question. To get a notice stating your stolen car is found and then to have the police tell "uh...not sure what to do, this is a tricky situation ". What's tricky? I'm sure the authorities did what they could and I'm glad the owners they have their car back.

Last edited:
Back