Strange Thing Happened Today

Thanks. It took some trial and error to learn how to properly crimp the open barrel connectors.

Now, if the car burns to the ground there's no one to blame but myself.
35 years ago my ex-F.I.L. gave me a tool to make the proper crimp.
I've never seen another anywhere since.
...when they pry it out of my dead, cold, fingers...

Well, I installed the new Fusible Link I made, she fired right up and idled in the driveway for about 5 minutes. I didn't have time to go for a spin but I saw enough to know this case is closed. Good diagnosis Dr. Stan.

Glad you sound like you are back on the road. I am hoping the same by the weekend.

I thought I would update this thread incase someone should encounter the same problem(s) I've encountered for the better part of a year. I do not think my issue was the Fusible Link at all. The fact of the matter is, it ran like crap shortly after I installed it and the intermitted stalling problem, while still present, was also met with an intermittent rough, rich running symptom. Here's what I did: Rebuilt the AFB (twice), installed a new distributor, installed Pertronix Ignitor and Coil, installed new Plugs and Wires and swapped out the Ignition Switch. The problem still persisted. Convinced it was an electrical issue, I busted out the multimeter this morning. With the key in the "On" position, I checked the the voltage at the Ballast Resistor port (Ignition side). Zero volts! I unplugged it and checked the voltage at the wire itself; 11v+. Deduction: Loose connection at the Ballast Resistor. I took the plastic cover off the terminal, crimped down the metal terminal a bit, now getting 10v+ when testing directly on the Ballast Resistor port. She fired right up but still ran rough, but not as bad; like a vacuum leak. Checked the voltages: 11.9v at the Ballast; 13v at the Coil. I pulled the vacuum line from the carb connecting the PCV. Car smoothed out and ran perfect. Plugged it back in and the idle dropped but didn't run as rough. After a couple of cycles of pulling it on and off, the engine seemed to normalize but the vacuum was lower than normal. Deduction: faulty PVC. New one and a spare on its way. I'm fairly confident I've gotten the problems sorted out. Hopefully, once and for all.

Excellent ! That car should run as good as it looks, but that might be tough, even for a MoPar. And now that yours is fixed, and you don't have anything to do, you can come to Ohio and work on mine.
smiley-violent069.gif

I thought I would update this thread incase someone should encounter the same problem(s) I've encountered for the better part of a year. I do not think my issue was the Fusible Link at all. The fact of the matter is, it ran like crap shortly after I installed it and the intermitted stalling problem, while still present, was also met with an intermittent rough, rich running symptom. Here's what I did: Rebuilt the AFB (twice), installed a new distributor, installed Pertronix Ignitor and Coil, installed new Plugs and Wires and swapped out the Ignition Switch. The problem still persisted. Convinced it was an electrical issue, I busted out the multimeter this morning. With the key in the "On" position, I checked the the voltage at the Ballast Resistor port (Ignition side). Zero volts! I unplugged it and checked the voltage at the wire itself; 11v+. Deduction: Loose connection at the Ballast Resistor. I took the plastic cover off the terminal, crimped down the metal terminal a bit, now getting 10v+ when testing directly on the Ballast Resistor port. She fired right up but still ran rough, but not as bad; like a vacuum leak. Checked the voltages: 11.9v at the Ballast; 13v at the Coil. I pulled the vacuum line from the carb connecting the PCV. Car smoothed out and ran perfect. Plugged it back in and the idle dropped but didn't run as rough. After a couple of cycles of pulling it on and off, the engine seemed to normalize but the vacuum was lower than normal. Deduction: faulty PVC. New one and a spare on its way. I'm fairly confident I've gotten the problems sorted out. Hopefully, once and for all.

Its always the simple stuff, ain't it ?!? BUT its so frustrating trying to find the cause and the solution. Way-ta-go, Rexus.

Back