Strange Thing Happened Today

I guess there is always room for new problems at or approaching 50 years old. I know I seem to have new problems.:(

Atta boy Stan:eek:s_dancing2:

I'm going to take a shot at making this myself but I have some questions. In the pic below are the original (Blue Tag) and the new one that is too short to use.

Is the only wire that is Fusible Link wire the larger gauge? I believe the thinner gauge wire provides power to the Horn Relay but is it standard wire or Fusible Link wire? I think it is standard wire. Thoughts?

My personal thought is the horn relay is standard wire. Sort of a safe guard if the fuseable link burns though you still have your horn.

This is a section of the site Stan recommended.

Are there any general guidelines for choosing a suitable fusible link?
Typically, a given harness segment is protected by fusible link that is four gauge numbers smaller. A 14-gauge wire would be protected by an 18-gauge fusible link. A 6-gauge wire would be protected by a 10-gauge link, and so on. Odd number wire gauge sizes like 19, 15, 13 and 11 are counted when sizing a link. The length of a fusible link should not exceed 9"

According to this if the wire gauge is 4 gauge smaller than the wire going to the horn is is probably a fuseable link. Real good info on that site.

Last edited:
MAD Industries has a interesting website on Fusible links. Apparently they do burn through to protect the circuits. They do not reconnect as I understand it. Just saying.

MAD Industries has a interesting website on Fusible links. Apparently they do burn through to protect the circuits. They do not reconnect as I understand it. Just saying.

Just for clarity, mine isn't burnt. It is failing, totally separate. After 50 years of amperage and heat cycles, it must be breaking down. When it heats up to a certain point, it cannot sustain it and it cuts power. After it cools for a few seconds, it is stable enough to let the power pass momentarily and fails agin. If this is not the case, how do you explain swapping it out and the car runs?

Just for clarity, mine isn't burnt. It is failing, totally separate. After 50 years of amperage and heat cycles, it must be breaking down. When it heats up to a certain point, it cannot sustain it and it cuts power. After it cools for a few seconds, it is stable enough to let the power pass momentarily and fails agin. If this is not the case, how do you explain swapping it out and the car runs?
HELLO, PEOPLE !!!!!!!
READ, REREAD, AND RE-REREAD WHAT SCOTT SAYS.

Thank you.

FYI NAPA sells 9" length of fuseable links.

Thanks Mike. Based on what I saw on their website, they have the ring terminals already installed. I need the bare wire so I can attach the lead for the Horn Relay to the ring terminal as well.

I found this place that is local to me...:

Clips anf Fasteners
3158 E. LaPalma Ave.
Anaheim, CA 92806
714-666-2959

...that should be a one stop shop for everyhting I need to make a new Fusible Link Harness:

16ga Fusible Link
18ga Primary Wire, Black
OEM Ring Terminal
OEM Locking Terminal, Female
OEM Spade Terminal
Terminal Install Tool

I think he is making one because he can't find a new one. I can't find a new one.

And what are the drivability symptoms?

And what are the drivability symptoms?

Driveability? How am I supposed to drive it if it quits in 30 seconds?

The spare Fusible Link I had required a little rigging to connect it to the horn relay, not to mention the link itself is a couple inches too short so I wasn't comfortable driving it. It idled and revved strong so I have no doubt it will run as it should.

My bad. I thought you were out on the road and started having issues.

Driveability? How am I supposed to drive it if it quits in 30 seconds?

The spare Fusible Link I had required a little rigging to connect it to the horn relay, not to mention the link itself is a couple inches too short so I wasn't comfortable driving it. It idled and revved strong so I have no doubt it will run as it should.

Back