Stuck emergency brake

66furys

Reaction score
My car has been sitting for decades of minor work but little use. When I got it, it would run with fuel down the throat, and drive but very dangerous....including real bad wiring, almost no brakes and very bad steering. So, after some work, I face a somewhat tight e brake cable set. I have moved it and tried to lube it when doing the brakes. So, am nervous now to use it. If it sticks tight, I am guessing I can just use the adjusters to loosen a bit to remove the drum. Anyone have experience here....thanks.

The old cables have been sticky and I did my best to loosen when working on the brakes......back and forth and lube as possible. But, am just old and hesitant to hit the pedal on ebrake. Anybody experience loosening a stuck ebrake and cable.....with a locked drum. I did not worry about such when I was young....and now everything is a problem.

Don't screw with the old cables. Just replace them and be done with it. Probably $20-25 each at Rock Auto. Two rears and one front. You might get away with just replacing the rears, but I'd do all three.

With the one that's stuck, cut it off as close to the wheel as you can and take apart from there.

Big John is correct on just replacing the old cables is the quickest adn easiest option...but having said that I have rejuventated old cables before. If they are not seized and have some movement and you can get them off without damage you curl them up and soak them in a pail of used oil for a few days, then remove and hang them up to drain. Then start pulling on the inner cables back and forth until they move smoothly and easily, then back into the oil for another day or so, and again out to drain. Then install back in the vehicle and should be good for many more years.

Just so you are aware sometimes the inner cables have a thin plastic sheath over the cables and this deteriorates and starts to come off causing the cables to bind in the outer casing...if this is the case then new cables are your only option.

When I had one on a rear wheel hang up on my truck, I was able to use a vice grip on the cable where the three come together and tap it back with a hammer. Never used the E brake again. Thank God for the park Pawl. My 60 Dart has no park gear so the E brake gets regular use.

Back