STUCK / FROZEN LUGS!!!

Cortez

Reaction score
Hey fellas i have these lugs that have had to had to have been on my 67 300 since the early 70's and I can not break them, air gun and foot on lug wrech only broke a sstud clean off any secrets to the removal...PLEASE HELP...the new wheels are dying to go on. Thanks

really???? i think the one or two i got to squeak a bit were counterclockwise turns

i can not believe i did not know that i literally snapped one clean off apparently over tightening it

I fully agree with the other members, drivers are left hand threads. Many a lug has been snapped off An old Mopar from a well meaning tire shop worker or owner who didn’t know this. Consider it a Mopar rim and tire anti- theft option for the drivers side wheels. :lol:

Thank goodness my Dad thought me abt the left hand threads when I was a little kid!!!!

Hey fellas i have these lugs that have had to had to have been on my 67 300 since the early 70's and I can not break them, air gun and foot on lug wrech only broke a sstud clean off any secrets to the removal...PLEASE HELP...the new wheels are dying to go on. Thanks
Left hand thread lug studs will have a letter L stamped on the end of them.

I had a parts car and I was fighting with the front RIGHT and I was even standing on the breaker bar, then I thought, try the other way. Yup front hubs/drums were swapped.

Alan

I had a parts car and I was fighting with the front RIGHT and I was even standing on the breaker bar, then I thought, try the other way. Yup front hubs/drums were swapped.

Alan
That happened on my 67! Glad I thought of that before I busted the bugger.

so to replace the stud i snapped i must be sure to get the L stud...got it thanks fellas...as i put the torch away!

Yup. Reverse threaded on the left driver's side. I remember being just as perplexed when I figured it out.

The theory was that the rotation of the wheels would always tighten the lug nuts. The theory was actually proven by the predecessor to the modern IIHS but I can't find the web site now. In there testing, two cars with snug but not tight lug nuts where tested. One with right hand threads on the left side and one with left hand threads on the left side. The left hand threads actually did tighten and in one case, the right hand threads actually loosened. I'll keep looking for the website.

Ahh the ole righty loosey lefty tighty senario.:confused: :mob::soapbox:

DITCH THE LEFT HAND THREAD STUDS! Go buy some Moroso studs, RH thread, and after you get the old lugs off those LH thread artifacts, pull your driver side hub, press or pound out the old studs, then press the RH thread replacements in. I use WD-40's penetrant formula to good effect. You can carefully heat the outside of the lug while keeping a COLD slightly undersized bolt in contact with the stud, then use a good 6 point socket or even box end wrench w a deep offset and a cheater bar to torque off the obstinate lug. If it breaks off, no big loss. I was blessed to have RH thread studs all around Mathilda when I got her, but had a 66 New Yorker (the car that made me a C-body Moparian!) in 04-05 with original studs. Lose 'em and be happy.

Wagon still has lefty's, should have seen the tire shop younger guy when I asked for left hand lug nuts for Cragar wheels. :eek:
DSC02213.jpg

DITCH THE LEFT HAND THREAD STUDS! Go buy some Moroso studs, RH thread, and after you get the old lugs off those LH thread artifacts, pull your driver side hub, press or pound out the old studs, then press the RH thread replacements in. I use WD-40's penetrant formula to good effect. You can carefully heat the outside of the lug while keeping a COLD slightly undersized bolt in contact with the stud, then use a good 6 point socket or even box end wrench w a deep offset and a cheater bar to torque off the obstinate lug. If it breaks off, no big loss. I was blessed to have RH thread studs all around Mathilda when I got her, but had a 66 New Yorker (the car that made me a C-body Moparian!) in 04-05 with original studs. Lose 'em and be happy.
That's a lot of work. Isn't easier just to remember that the left side is left hand threads?

Back