summit 850005 distributor ECM conversion kit

hmmm I need to order one of your voltage regulators then! Found it on ebay...will buy shortly. Thanks for the heads up!
Dave

anyone ever done this?

Summit Racing® Electronic Mopar Distributors SUM-850005

i tried to search the forums but didnt find too much.

Hey Saylor, I installed the Summit 850005 in April of 2016. This is the only photo I found in my folder of how I wired it to the ballast. Looks like "dmac" provided the info you needed to get the EI hooked up. If you need more info I would have to go look under the hood this weekend. There were just a couple wires to connect, but since my memory is going south I'll just need to do a trace and it'll all come back. As you can see I installed the ECU on my fender.

2016-04-30 10.08.30.jpg

2016-04-30 10.28.21.jpg

wakin up a ded poast.
happy thanksgiving!
last night i was searching about ignition timing and summit distributor, and this thread is one of the top posts in the search result, so i sort of re-found this thread last night.

i have since installed and used this distributor. i like it. i was hesitant to come off stock points setup but after doing it, i recommend the alteration.
i used the summit kit with the orange box for the 440 motor. 383 takes a different kit.

it really is only a couple of wires to hook up - i probably spent more time deciding where to mount the control module at. i ended up putting it up on the front inner firewall / radiator core support area up by the passenger side headlights:
20191128_073558.jpg
so it wasnt far to the DIST from here. the ballast is the furthest thing away from here to wire in. but i guess it is cooler up here then on the back firewall ( in front of engine instead of behind it ) - a bunch of posts say these things get hot and melt the sealant goop out of them.

i had to adjust the reluctor, down to .008 IIRC. take a paper receipt from the gas station. fold it in half. fold it in half again. theres your .008. thank me later. go check on a micrometer then come back and tell me what a fkn genius that is. tbh im such a tightwad i didnt want to spend money on brass feeler gauges ( you need a nonmagnetic feeler to set this reluctor ) i measured random stuff around the house until i found something that did the job...

so like mentioned in previous posts ^ i too currently have the vacuum advance unhooked. i have changed my timing from ~12* down to ~10* and still goofing with it. also like previous posts, i like how it runs right now without it hooked up. i felt in there with the 3/32 allen key and it feels all the way reduced / minimium setting. so i dont know yet how to best set it. thats why i was searching about it. and found my own post. sigh. so i guess its up to us to figure it out. yea.
20191128_073547.jpg

Question: what's the total timing?

I didn't use the Summit kit, I used the HiRev7500 from Ebooger, and I think it uses a different timing curve. I digress, I set the initial on my 383 at 16° and my total (vacuum disconnect) is 36°. Zero pinging, starts quickly and idles extremely well.

Keep us posted

Back