suspension stance

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hey all, among some other things I'm currently working on with my Newport, I want to give it a bit more lift, not very much, but a little as I'm not satisfied with its current "stance". It has sort of a "squat" stance, and in fact I must be very cognizant when going over train tracks or even small protrusions in the road to keep from scraping the exhaust pipes (did it once already:gah:)!

I have a pic focusing on the rear suspension of an e body car which had these type of clamps(?) that setup at the bottom of the shocks; these seem to extend the length of the stock shock and thereby provide a bit more lift in the rear end....not crazy, but just enough that I think it may work for me. I already have the 411 on how to adjust the front end (torsion bars). Has anyone seen or used these? if so, do you think these survive underneath a larger c body car (heavier than the e car)?? Someone mentioned air shocks, but I REFUSE to go that route....which is why I'm keeping an eye out for alternatives. The red car below the w bod pic is a 69' Newport with the exact height/stance I'm looking to achieve. The yellow car below the red one is my 70' Newport.....I think the difference is quite noticeable. She has KYB gas-a-just shocks all around and the same tire/height profile (although my tires are wider). In my opinion (for my car) the red Newpie has the perfect stance for a big ol c body car...it looks nimble and fleet. The stance my 70' has makes it look to me.....fat and heavy.

Waddaya think??thanx:icon_santa:

shock absorber.jpg

69 Newport MM 01.jpg

TheNewpie 01.jpg

http://www.springsnthings.com/

This is the place to go, for $400.00 you will not only raise the rear end but get a much nicer and stiffer ride if you desire. Raising the rear a few inches with a bracket will still allow the car to sway and bounce. Once your done that replace all the front end components and you'll be amazed at what you have accomplished..........:sSig_wootwoot:

http://www.springsnthings.com/

This is the place to go, for $400.00 you will not only raise the rear end but get a much nicer and stiffer ride if you desire. Raising the rear a few inches with a bracket will still allow the car to sway and bounce. Once your done that replace all the front end components and you'll be amazed at what you have accomplished..........:sSig_wootwoot:

Wow, polara71, thanx! I take it then you've bought stuff from these folks before in the past? Did you have the same problem with any of your cars? Did you do the install yourself??

Yes, four sets four installs, four Polaras....... all before and after photos. Each set was ordered with a one inch stock over height arc. More springs does not give you height, it gives you ride rigidity. Get the 7 springs along with new shackle hardware. Unless you soak the bolts in penetrating oil they're gonna break.

137743 2001  left rear taillights.jpg

137743 2004  awaiting new pan.JPG

187134 2004 right taillights.jpg

187134 2005 on the move.jpg

118263 2002 front.JPG

118263 2004 left front.jpg

166663 2005 left rear.jpg

DSC_0112b.jpg

Yes, four sets four installs, four Polaras....... all before and after photos. Each set was ordered with a one inch stock over height arc. More springs does not give you height, it gives you ride rigidity. Get the 7 springs along with new shackle hardware. Unless you soak the bolts in penetrating oil they're gonna break.

Wow the stance on that last car (blue/white top) is fabulous...REALLY sharp looking automobile.....gotta love that look.

In that shot she is under full acceleration which explains why the nose is up.........

I like these.........

DSC_0097b.jpg

166663 2007 burnout 2.jpg

In that shot she is under full acceleration which explains why the nose is up.........

I like these.........

Man, you are brutal on those tires! You still have the blue car? What are the details, how did you find it? Nice.

What you dont see is the tires on the car in the smokey photo. They are old tires thrown on wheels just to get the car home. Once I got it home it went right into the garage and sat for a few months until I could get tires and wheels for her. That photo was taken because local guys didn't believe I had a 440 Polara or that I wouldnt do what you see there, so that was a teaser, notice just her face looking through. Just enough to raise question of what I really had.

The first photo in 03' when I first saw learned of the car.
She was listed for sale on the internet in Washington State, originally from Oregon. The fellow who had her I believe bought it to flip but did do some light mods and clean it up. I didn't pull the trigger and it wound up on E-bay. I made the fellow offers but he declined. A fellow in PA flew out, bought it and drove it home. The second picture is of the car the first time I physically saw her when she pulled into the Carlisle fair grounds, notice the Mirada wheels.....that was in 05.

I told the fellow If he ever wanted to sell let me know. I saw him at Englishtown and Carlisle events the next two years, and kept on him about the car, he also liked to tease me a bit about selling it. Eventually he needed to move on and came to me first. This is my favorite car because it is fun to drive, handles well and is very comfortable.

1971 Dodge Polara Brougham, 2024 two door hardtops made in 71. This one has a white bucket seat interior, 440 and 3:23 sure grip. Look in the photo gallery for more pics.............

166663 2003 right.jpg

166663 2005 front.jpg

15.3 @ 90mph........... I was happy with it being a low 15 but since it stutters off the line when punched it should do better. The only modifications are H.P. manifolds and electronic ignition. Shes got 79,000 miles and has never been opened up.
The top speed I had her was 135 between 38 and 73 heading south on 295 late on a Saturday night. She was still pulling impressively but South of 73 gets too crowded and plenty of spots for police to hide.:eek:ld_school:

15.3 @ 90mph........... I was happy with it being a low 15 but since it stutters off the line when punched it should do better. The only modifications are H.P. manifolds and electronic ignition. Shes got 79,000 miles and has never been opened up.
The top speed I had her was 135 between 38 and 73 heading south on 295 late on a Saturday night. She was still pulling impressively but South of 73 gets too crowded and plenty of spots for police to hide.:eek:ld_school:

Yeah, you aren't kidding about south of 73...there's a notorious spot just at the top of a rise that is located right before you get to the Berlin/Haddonfield rd overpass.....state troopers will sit there waiting on occasion. If you have your foot into it to deep you will come up on that rise mighty quick and will not have enough time to slow down before running smack into the trooper nest. You might as well shut down after that cause the got you plain and simple.

Thast the spot just south of 70 but since you brought it up there is a spot like that between 70 and 73.

Thast the spot just south of 70 but since you brought it up there is a spot like that between 70 and 73.

I know where your talking about, usually don't see as many troopers there as the spot past 70.....anyways my cobra usually keeps me out of trouble.

I used general spring company out of Kansas for new Heavy Duty Leaf springs on my 1968 Plymouth Fury. My car orig. had 4 on one side and 5 on the other. Now it has a 7 leaf per-side setup and the difference is dramatic. It handles so much better. Jason

SL733770.jpg

doc needed a bath8.jpg

I used general spring company out of Kansas for new Heavy Duty Leaf springs on my 1968 Plymouth Fury. My car orig. had 4 on one side and 5 on the other. Now it has a 7 leaf per-side setup and the difference is dramatic. It handles so much better. Jason

Man, that looks cool.

I hate it when big cars sit low in the rear. I think I got my Newport almost perfect now considering the size of my tires.

I think Polara has larger tires on his car. I also like how he has the exhaust setup. I think I'm going to rework mine to something like that. Ditch the tips and just have the ends bend down, unless I can find a pair of Chrysler type tips, ala 70' RR or Dodge Charger R/T.

IMG_7167.jpg

Back