swapping power boosters?

360dusted

Reaction score
I ordered a replacement power brake booster for my '69 Polara with front drum brakes and the one on the car looks very different from the one I got from RockAuto (Centric #16080080)... similar thickness but the housing is much more "round", can I swap these without messing anything up?

Directly from the Concentric web site:

icsf8n.jpg

2lswfp1.jpg

2u5wfax.jpg

Unless some sleaze ball returned it to RA with the wrong unit in the box for a refund, I'd say go for it.

Last edited:
There were 2 booster types I know of - Midland-Ross w/ V-band clamp and the other (Bendix?) w/ the shells crimped together. The master cylinder probably varied between manual and power brakes, but that is more of a driver preference thing anyway. You still have to be able to stop the car manually if you lose vacuum. Above shows that they used the same rod, which makes sense. Verify that the mounting studs match the holes in your adapter plate. I got a new booster for my 65 Newport a few months ago from the rock for only $70, including an MC which I won't use because I installed a 2-bolt alum one from a 96 Breeze (using adapter plate).

Directly from the Concentric web site:

icsf8n.jpg

2lswfp1.jpg

2u5wfax.jpg

Unless some sleaze ball returned it to RA with the wrong unit in the box for a refund, I'd say go for it.

OK seems like it should work, but then I'm assuming I shouldn't return my old one for a core refund right? I think I'd only get like $10 out of it anyway after shipping costs...

BillGrissom I will check the MC mounting points when I get the old booster off the car but just eyeballing it they look the same, unless you mean where it mounts to the firewall?? Also I'm reusing the old MC as it seems to be in good shape, no leaks that I can see and it holds pressure no problem (pedal doesn't sink to the floor at all). Fluid was a little brown but flushed out very easily.

BillGrissom I will check the MC mounting points when I get the old booster off the car but just eyeballing it they look the same, unless you mean where it mounts to the firewall??
As far as I know, all 4-bolt MC's have the same bolt pattern, at least Mopar ones. The studs on the booster that pass thru the firewall have differing bolt patterns, at least a Midland-Ross booster I had from a 74 Dart that looked just like the one on my 65 Newport had mounting bolts in different places.

OK guys it's been a while but I got the new power brake booster in and bolted to the firewall and brake pedal. Only issue now is that the pushrod going from the booster to the master cylinder seems to be different; the old one has a large end that looks like a piston on one end with a small adjusting nut on the other end. The new booster looks like it receives a rod without the "piston" part, just a straight rod with ball ends. I've looked on a couple sites and nothing, where can I even find them?

So I'm assuming no one else has run into this...? I'm thinking of just making a rod but I'd like to know some dimensions at least. I suppose I could try to measure it with my dial calipers...

So I'm assuming no one else has run into this...?
If you post photos, it would help us help you. As I recall, the Midland-Ross boosters (V-band) have a removable output rod with a mushroom on the booster side and no adjustment. I recall that the output rod on the Bendix(?) booster (crimped shells) that I recently put on my 65 Newport has an integral rod. I recall it had an adjustment nut at the tip, which I adjusted to get the MC piston off its stop (~0.1"). As mentioned, I installed a later MC (~95 Breeze) and adapter plate. That was 2 months ago, but I have worked on many boosters and MC's on my 7 cars recently so can't recall all the details.

Last edited:
Back