Sway bar bushings - 1975 Monaco

I saw those or a set like them. Can you confirm if they are U shaped inside the square flanges, or are they square all around and require a square mounting bracket?

IMG_20230401_065717943.jpg

I can see why those bushings are square. Apparently the fuselage cars are different, here is how the bar mounts on a '74-'77 car, directly to the frame without the drop bracket. They use the more commonly shaped bushings you see on almost everything else.

IMG_1726.jpeg

Update - The Mustang bushings worked. That material is tough, it doesn't cut easily, even with a new exacto blade. But it does grind easily, and a hacksaw works well too. I cut the bottom beveled area off, then used the grinding wheel to make them a bit smaller all around, and to lower the top curved area so that the holes would be in the brackets in the same place. I snuck up on them a little at a time until they fit.

Stock vs. modified bushings:

ScreenShot20230426at6_09_36PM-vi.png

IMG_1842-vi.jpg

Fit:

IMG_1852-vi.jpg

As for end links, the new generation Moog are pretty much the only ones the stores carry. They are a nice design, but they come with white urethane bushings, pretty dumb looking. If only there was a way to change these to black for a more original look...

IMG_1844-vi.jpg

IMG_1851-vi.jpg

So with that, the chassis is pretty much buttoned up.

It wouldn't work on these. Paint is paint, a layer on top of a surface, but die changes the color of the surface material. To use RIT, pour an ounce or two into water, bring to a light boil, drop the parts in, and wait for 4-5 minutes. Remove and rinse, and they are now black forever. These bushings distort and flex when they are tightened down, paint would just crack and rub away.

Back