Sway bar bushings - 1975 Monaco

Reaction score
You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find these bushings, but this isn't ten years ago, and now it is. Moog shows them as square all around, which obviously won't fit the rounded brackets, and other sellers show them as round with a ridge down the middle. Flanged half round is what is needed, 1" bar, no listings anywhere. Does anyone know what other application will fit? I'd like to avoid after market urethane with the gold brackets - those are usually a lot weaker than factory steel.

IMG_1692.jpeg

Gen II Camaro (1970-1981) used a 1" front sway bar, but I like the similar Firebird brackets and mounting bushing better. Seems like some of the GM pickups from '67-'87 were similar? Might be salvage yard brackets and new rubbers available? What about some Chrysler B or E-body cars?

Key thing might be the thickness of the rubber, which relates to the width of the mounting holes in the bracket. Finding one which might be trimmed to fit might be an option?

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The Camaro bushings are smooth - no flanges, and they are tall. We tried a set for a '70s Chevy van, looked good in the picture, much too large in person. The bracket is 1 3/8" wide by 1 1/2 tall inside measurements, holes are 2 3/4" center to center. Everything so far is too wide or unflanged. The B or E body turns up the same incorrect bushings as the C body; I'll call Moog tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Following. Those exact bushings are what came off of my 75 Imperial. The replacement I got through rockauto don't match at all but I had to make due. I'm interested in what you might find.

What I found was these:

IMG_1718-vi.jpg

IMG_1719-vi.jpg

IMG_1720-vi.jpg

Ironically later the day of the first post, I got an email from Rockauto about closeout items for the cars I have listed as mine. So these were for Fox Mustang with 1" sway bar, discounted to 11 bucks shipped, so I figured why not? I will trim the bottoms down to the raised flange area, maybe do some thinning around the U if necessary, and they should work. Nice quality rubber, very stiff.

Those also look like the '79 Firebird bushings, too. Except the ones I have are for a 1.25" bar. Perhaps the Firebird brackets would work too?

Good score!
CBODY67

Those also look like the '79 Firebird bushings, too. Except the ones I have are for a 1.25" bar. Perhaps the Firebird brackets would work too?

Good score!
CBODY67
I got mine in a complete kit on ebay. $18. Mine were square and thats what i got. Perfect fit.

Following. Those exact bushings are what came off of my 75 Imperial. The replacement I got through rockauto don't match at all but I had to make due. I'm interested in what you might find.

I got the whole kit with top and square bottom bushing, for $18 on ebay. Oldcarpartsnw. They were perfect, exact match.

Looking in the 1974 Chrysler parts book at www.mymopar.com, in the listings for the front sway bar items, on all Chrysler front sway bars, they came with the rubber mounting blocks attached to them, using a retainer to mount them to the front frame area. Plain and simple. Only TWO sway bars listed for C-bodies in the parts section. One was for non-wagons and non-HD suspension, with the other being for wagons and HD suspension. NO optional front sway bars. Unlike a middle 1960s Fury with a 318, sway bars were standard equipment (as they were for a 1966 Fury 383 vehicle). I fully suspect that the 1975-78 C-body vehicles were similar.

Chrysler did not service those sway bar mounting blocks separately, from what the parts manual indicates, so that leaves only the aftermarket to supply them. In reality, a front sway bar can be one of the least-replaced items on the car. Unless a PSF or similar fluid leak degrades the mounting block.

The 1974 B-body front sway bar mounting link has a modified version of the '65-'73 mounting link, with a removable retainer lower strap. Perhaps, if the bar diameters are the same or similar, those B-body mounting links could be used on earlier C-body cars, along with their rubber items? Parts lists and illustrations are in Group 17 of the parts book. Download the book and see what you think . . .

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Looking in the 1974 Chrysler parts book at www.mymopar.com, in the listings for the front sway bar items, on all Chrysler front sway bars, they came with the rubber mounting blocks attached to them, using a retainer to mount them to the front frame area. Plain and simple. Only TWO sway bars listed for C-bodies in the parts section. One was for non-wagons and non-HD suspension, with the other being for wagons and HD suspension. NO optional front sway bars. Unlike a middle 1960s Fury with a 318, sway bars were standard equipment (as they were for a 1966 Fury 383 vehicle). I fully suspect that the 1975-78 C-body vehicles were similar.

Chrysler did not service those sway bar mounting blocks separately, from what the parts manual indicates, so that leaves only the aftermarket to supply them. In reality, a front sway bar can be one of the least-replaced items on the car. Unless a PSF or similar fluid leak degrades the mounting block.

The 1974 B-body front sway bar mounting link has a modified version of the '65-'73 mounting link, with a removable retainer lower strap. Perhaps, if the bar diameters are the same or similar, those B-body mounting links could be used on earlier C-body cars, along with their rubber items? Parts lists and illustrations are in Group 17 of the parts book. Download the book and see what you think . . .

Respectfully,
CBODY67
This is great info. I am replacing the original sedan sway bar with one from a '75 Town and Country 440 wagon, which also donated it's torsion bars. The difference in width of the two sway bars is apparent:

IMG_1688.jpeg

And should give a real improvement to the handling. Odd that Chrysler wouldn't service the bushings, (if I read that right) but no big deal, if the Mustang bushings don't work I can replace the whole bushing/bracket assemblies with aftermarket, although I prefer using the original parts wherever possible.

I saw those or a set like them. Can you confirm if they are U shaped inside the square flanges, or are they square all around and require a square mounting bracket?

They are square all around and fit the fixed frame i pictured earlier in this post. The kit came with new nuts, washers and bushings for both ends. I had to cut the bottom flange and drill bolt holes as the factory links had welded cages.

Back