Tailshaft Housing Length

Commander 927

Reaction score
I have big block and a 727 motorhome trans with the drum brake to go in my 67 Monaco I bought with no engine or trans. I'm ditching the tailshaft assembly and replacing it with one the same length as original to the car. What length do I need? Thanks in advance.

Without getting too technical or specific, you need the long one. All passenger cars used the same long tailstock and shaft. I've never converted one myself, but I'd stick with a very similar vintage to the MH trans to make sure everything matches up. '64 and earlier would be completely different, for example.

Mid seventies there was a spline change in center of the trans, not the spline count, but the spline shape. One will strip out the other. I would stay near the year of the MH trans with the new tailshaft. If it is '74,'75,'76 be careful that's when the change happened, motor home and truck stuff is usually behind in years because it takes longer to use up existing inventory.

Great advice above, they made changes in mid 70’s but I’m not sure when. You can decode the number on the drivers side of the trans to see when it was built.

Without getting too technical or specific, you need the long one. All passenger cars used the same long tailstock and shaft. I've never converted one myself, but I'd stick with a very similar vintage to the MH trans to make sure everything matches up. '64 and earlier would be completely different, for example.
I thought A-body passenger cars used a short tail shaft housing because of driveshaft angle. Any truth to that, or am I just misremembering? Thanks

Also, with the OP having a 1967, I remember the 1962-1966 727 have a 19 spline input shaft and 1967 to 1977 have 24 spine input shaft (Lockup torque converter intro 1978, 23-spline). Were tail shaft housings the same 1965-1973 or was there a redesign in 1967?

A body manual trans is short tail, 904/727 same length as other cars.

I located a complete big block 727. I may just buy that and have it built. Does anyone know if the 1971 motorhome 727 with 413 engine has a different torque converter than a large sedan. I won't need a stall. If the diameter of the MH converter is the same as factory Sedan converter, will the rpm be the same? I have the MH converter with 42 k miles on it. Will buy a different one if needed but hate to throw away money unnecessarily.

If the diameter of the MH converter is the same as factory Sedan converter, will the rpm be the same? I have the MH converter with
It will be very similar. If it bolts up OK, I'd run it. Most important is that it does not come from a blown trans...otherwise it should be flushed by a reputable shop.

Back