Tailshaft length

Pana.Mopar

Reaction score
Need some assistance with tailshaft. I have a '68 Polara hardtop that was a factory 383/727/8.75 and unfortunately couldnt find a another driveline and ended up scoring a 318/904 from a 1970 Dodge Phoenix. What tailshaft should I be using as the original one looks a little short?

The 904 is about 5 inches shorter than a 727. The drive train will fit, but you need to buy a different cross member, and longer driveshaft to compensate. Then get different exhaust, and Radiator. Too bad you can't find another 383 or 440 drivetrain, and keep it that way.

The 904 is about 5 inches shorter than a 727. The drive train will fit, but you need to buy a different cross member, and longer driveshaft to compensate. Then get different exhaust, and Radiator. Too bad you can't find another 383 or 440 drivetrain, and keep it that way.

I know, if I could find a running big block driveline it would be easier.. I might still look around and see how I go..

It looks like the dodge Phoenix is a 70 Plymouth fury. Is there anything left of that car? lots of the parts you need are there on the Phoenix. I should mention a 904 and 727 are totally different, so tail shafts don't Interchange.

It looks like the dodge Phoenix is a 70 Plymouth fury. Is there anything left of that car? lots of the parts you need are there on the Phoenix. I should mention a 904 and 727 are totally different, so tail shafts don't Interchange.

I stripped virtually everything off the Australia Phoenix. The engine is sitting on the mounts in the engine bay and fits nicely and all the wiring is there and the like so shouldn't be a problem. The engine has exhaust and everything so that's not an issue. The main issue is the tailshaft length and the gearbox mount. If I'm not mistake I thought there was a mount for the 904 to fit the C-body?

yes there is, finding one is the next step.318/ 904 C body cars weren't common.The ones I've seen were Plymouths, and Dodges mostly had a 727. I would try to buy a SB 727, as those cross members are plentiful. I have three SB 727 transmissions, but I'm a long way from you.

yes there is, finding one is the next step.318/ 904 C body cars weren't common.The ones I've seen were Plymouths, and Dodges mostly had a 727. I would try to buy a SB 727, as those cross members are plentiful. I have three SB 727 transmissions, but I'm a long way from you.

I agree, finding a small block 727 would be the best route. If you do find one that still has the torque converter, and you plan on using that torque converter, make sure it doesn't have the weights welded to it.

Most of the 318 cars had 904s. You couldnt take the drive shaft from the Phoenix ?

Now, I need to ask Polara66 why do you say "The drive train will fit, but you need to buy a different cross member," ? I have done two swaps from small block to big block and the mount was the same, I didnt change anything.....

Most of the 318 cars had 904s. You couldnt take the drive shaft from the Phoenix ?

Now, I need to ask Polara66 why do you say "The drive train will fit, but you need to buy a different cross member," ? I have done two swaps from small block to big block and the mount was the same, I didnt change anything.....

Yeah, I have the tailshaft from the 318/904 and it's shorter. Might be easier to go get it extended. I had a look under the vehicle and there's another offset trans mount that I have that looks like it would fit. I'll get a price on extending the tailshaft a few inches after I measure it up and see what happens.

I was referring to the fact that the drivetrain will fit, assuming the cross member came with the drivetrain. The body is the same. I did have a 68' fury with the 904, and the cross member looked different than my Chrysler. I can't swear to all Plymouths having 904's, but every dodge C body I have owned had a 727, 318 or 383 engine. I wish now that I still had it here to verify that the cross member was the same, so I don't want to mislead Pana.mopar.

I think the cross member is the same, the 727 would save finding another drive shaft. As long as the OP has his original shaft still. I have dropped in many 727's into factory 904 cars. F & late B bodies mainly, but it was simple transmission mount swap.

I believe the different mount perch on the trans explains the usability. Towards the front on the 727, in the back for the 904. So they likely
are the same. Sorry!

And now that I think about it, I think the only reason I bought a new mount was for the sake of having a new mount. 904/727 might use the same mount. It's been a few years.

edited.......mounts are the same. Converter, flex plate, and linkage lengths are different. Just wanted to straighten a couple things out, been a few years so I researched. Up to you OP

Back