Temp warning

i_taz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone run into the hi temp indicator lamp intermittently illuminating when all else seems OK...?

Sending unit, instrument voltage regulator or bad ground ?

Thnx
Jack

Physically check the wire coming from the sender to see if there's a break in the insulation shorting to ground.

Have you checked the actual engine temp (at the base of the sender) with an IR contactless heat gun? Just to make sure the sender is the issue, for good measure?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The wiring from the sending unit is good were I can get at it, I think what I had in the back
of mind was if there was a separate sensor for that warning light.

It appears this is why a new water pump was put on. I would assume the gauge is suspect
as much as anything else but it does function, staying a little below half and increases slightly
w/AC on. IR reading at top of radiator tank was 235, top hose 200ish....210 I think

One thing I noticed before any of this was the coolant wants to push out when I take the
cap off like there's air. Do you have to jack these up running to make sure it's out or does
it have to do with the heater control valve letting out fluid but closing and not letting back
in when I shut the car off? I'm not familiar with them anymore....

Thnx
Jack

Last edited:
Fluid will push out from cold to operating temp. That's what the recovery tank works off of. If you have a guage and a light the light is on a seperate switch.

I didn't mention I meant when it was cold that but it's probably mute ....
I was leaning towards a light issue not a coolant one but the FSP only shows
the sending unit and says the gauge and light are considered one unit and
knowing that ole Chrysler charm like I do that's probably the case.

Remember, these are the guys who put the seat belt and door ajar on the same circuit
on the e-bodies overhead console so while you waiting for the seat belt light to go out
your slamming the door thinking it's not closed.... (I read that once in a review at the time.)

Looking at the FSP schematic I'm wondering if it was all cut out when the Lean Burn
was taken off. Certainly the temp sensor would have feed into that but it doesn't come on
right away and occasionally it goes out, at least once since I noticed it...

There is a voltage limiter on the board....

Jack

Last edited:
If the "warning light" is on the gauge, as a part of it, then that LED light is triggered by the movement of the heat gauge needle. Probably at about the 260+ degrees F level. Reason I suspect that is that on my '80 Newport, when it was having a serious heat issue due to a radiator leak, I was limping in to the house, stopping at every water station along the Interstate, and the needle disappeared from the gauge, and the LED warning light went out. When I got it to the hiouse and under the carport, I raised the hood and let everything convection cool. And although the valve cover gaskets on the 360 were crispy-crittered, NO burnt smell in the Castrol motor oil.

I might be wrong, but the ELB system might have had some temp input for cold start and such, but no real temp input as later ECMs did?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back