The 1972 Chrysler Thread

air injection.png

Port for upstream air injection.

Was that ever put in production? My memory is that any air pumps would've come later in the 70s, after bigblocks changed to those semi-HP-looking manifolds?
Yes, but can only personally attest to seeing it on small blocks. Never had to really mess with late seventies big blocks. Liked it much better than GM's A.I.R. system with the octopus pipes at each port.
Don't forget the possibility of late seventies California only parts.

@Newport Woerden -- thank you for posting about CL23M2C136951 -- very, VERY nice 1972 Chrysler Newport Royal!

For the 1973, very nice too! I happen to own a 1973 NYer Brougham 4dr, just like yours except that mine is JA5.

PS: Do you happen to have a photo of the 1973's fender tag? Absent box and papers, that'll be all the info we need :) In the affirmative, you could possibly post it on the 1973 Chrysler Thread? (I have a thread for the 1972 and a separate one for the 1973; I have made a link in the latter to your above post, so no need to worry).

PPS: I like your watch references!

Last edited:
@Newport Woerden -- thank you for posting about CL23M2C136951 -- very, VERY nice 1972 Chrysler Newport Royal!

For the 1973, very nice too! I happen to own a 1973 NYer Brougham 4dr, just like yours except that mine is JA5.

PS: Do you happen to have a photo of the 1973's fender tag? Absent box and papers, that'll be all the info we need :) In the affirmative, you could possibly post it on the 1973 Chrysler Thread? (I have a thread for the 1972 and a separate one for the 1973; I have made a link in the latter to your above post, so no need to worry).

PPS: I like your watch references!
I just invited the fresh owner to join the forum and post a picture of the fendertag

90EA3223-D269-4989-AFED-ABDC183DA6AC.jpeg

I just invited the fresh owner to join the forum and post a picture of the fendertag
Is that the new owner, or the new tag recorder? Regardless, @78Brougham will appreciate your photographic documentation of this critical research activity.

Good to see you pay attention to details .
Well, you are too kind: only some details, I’m afraid. After reading your tag, I see that your ‘73 is in fact a NYer (CH) sedan (41), not a NYB (CS) 4dr hardtop (43) like Ming as I had too quickly surmised. I missed the important Mopar stuff, in other words. :rolleyes:

One question. Since CH43T3C252517 is now green but used to be DY2 — can you share what you know of the car´s history? I’m sure that the new owner (thank you for inviting him to join!) would like it too?

Last edited:

Well, you are too kind only some details, I’m afraid. After reading your tag, I see that your ‘73 is in fact a NYer (CH) sedan (41), not a NYB (CS) 4dr hardtop (43) like Ming as of quickly surmised. I missed the important Mopar stuff, in other words. :rolleyes:

One questio. Since CH43T3C252517 is now green but used to be DY2 — can you share what you know of the car´s history? I’m sure that the new owner (thank you for inviting him to join!) would like it too?
I bought the car in I think 2004 when it just had a brandnew paint. This car came in Holland through Germany with a so called ‘Duitse Brief’ (German Papers). The owner informed me that he had to sell it because his Porsche’s engine broke down… needed the money. Car was in excellent condition then. I used it as a daily driver, rain or shine and that did take it’s toll. The new owner just installed a new intake en carburator and is planning to do some restauration on the body.

Last edited:
here is a triple gold Y8 Gold Leaf paint, V1Y gold vinyl top, E9Y5 gold cloth interior ( with gold V5Y vinyl body side moldings) that i acquired.
its story is here

20230616_201450_resized.jpg

20230616_201508_resized.jpg

20230616_203720.jpg

20230607_153723_resized.jpg

20230607_153822_resized.jpg

20230607_153640_resized.jpg

20230611_103800_resized_1.jpg

Does anyone have photos showing the original tail pipes for 1972 Chryslers? Single or dual, as long as original, I am good. Thank you in advance for posting!

Here is some background for the question. The original single exhaust on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB, was replaced by a dual setup under prior ownership. The car had a small exhaust leak that @71Polara383 fixed, but it has come back and gotten worse over time -- so I decided to replace the exhaust. I went with duals, on the recommendation of @david hill

In an attempt to be "correct" (despite the fact that my car originally came with a single exhaust), I ordered my duals from Waldron. The pipes arrived a few weeks ago, and they look great -- but the tips are straight. When I inquired, I was told by Ruth (my always helpful and cheerful contact there) that "Chrysler did not put turn downs in the tailpipes for 1972 models. We built your tailpipes using out IPC patterns & bend cards which are patterned off of Chrysler tailpipes; Chrysler’s part # for the driver side tailpipe is 3466053 & on the passenger side it is 3466054."

Waldron has always been correct in my experience with them (3 systems thus far, this is #4) but I am puzzled, as some of the original-looking cars in this thread seem to have turn downs (see here as an example). Of course, there is no way for me to know if those cars that look original, truly are. Looking at the 1972 parts manual (Section 11) and at the Chrysler brochures (Fuselage.de and Hamtramck Historical), I see no photo of the tail pipes -- they are well hidden by the rear bumper and lower quarters. Still, on the two 1972 Chryslers that I have seen with what seemed to be the OEM single exhaust, there was a turndown. Those are CL23M2C279105 (a GY4 Newport Royal 2dr now owned by @XavierHarvey ) and CS43T2C306134

@saforwardlook @69CoronetRT @ceebuddy @amazinblue82 @CBODY67 @Davea Lux

@oliver , @Gluchie , @marty koirtyohann , @kingbowl93 , @Shelbyz08 , @Mr. Ball Cheese , @Rattle Trap , @Roberto , @Hotrodharbor , @Zeb204 , @MattfromMaine , @ricks_RR , @Jon O., @Crazy4Mopar , @weirdbeard , @Jacob Schreibert , @ytb29 , @scorp , @Rachie Barbie , @Keith926 , @schwarzsurfer , @21_forever , @Alan Adcock

Back