The 1972 Chrysler Thread

Does anyone have photos showing the original tail pipes for 1972 Chryslers? Single or dual, as long as original, I am good. Thank you in advance for posting!

Here is some background for the question. The original single exhaust on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB, was replaced by a dual setup under prior ownership. The car had a small exhaust leak that @71Polara383 fixed, but it has come back and gotten worse over time -- so I decided to replace the exhaust. I went with duals, on the recommendation of @david hill

In an attempt to be "correct" (despite the fact that my car originally came with a single exhaust), I ordered my duals from Waldron. The pipes arrived a few weeks ago, and they look great -- but the tips are straight. When I inquired, I was told by Ruth (my always helpful and cheerful contact there) that "Chrysler did not put turn downs in the tailpipes for 1972 models. We built your tailpipes using out IPC patterns & bend cards which are patterned off of Chrysler tailpipes; Chrysler’s part # for the driver side tailpipe is 3466053 & on the passenger side it is 3466054."

Waldron has always been correct in my experience with them (3 systems thus far, this is #4) but I am puzzled, as some of the original-looking cars in this thread seem to have turn downs (see here as an example). Of course, there is no way for me to know if those cars that look original, truly are. Looking at the 1972 parts manual (Section 11) and at the Chrysler brochures (Fuselage.de and Hamtramck Historical), I see no photo of the tail pipes -- they are well hidden by the rear bumper and lower quarters. Still, on the two 1972 Chryslers that I have seen with what seemed to be the OEM single exhaust, there was a turndown. Those are CL23M2C279105 (a GY4 Newport Royal 2dr now owned by @XavierHarvey ) and CS43T2C306134

@saforwardlook @69CoronetRT @ceebuddy @amazinblue82 @CBODY67 @Davea Lux

@oliver , @Gluchie , @marty koirtyohann , @kingbowl93 , @Shelbyz08 , @Mr. Ball Cheese , @Rattle Trap , @Roberto , @Hotrodharbor , @Zeb204 , @MattfromMaine , @ricks_RR , @Jon O., @Crazy4Mopar , @weirdbeard , @Jacob Schreibert , @ytb29 , @scorp , @Rachie Barbie , @Keith926 , @schwarzsurfer , @21_forever , @Alan Adcock

fwiw, i have been told that the turndown tips was a California thing.
no idea if thats true....

Does anyone have photos showing the original tail pipes for 1972 Chryslers? Single or dual, as long as original, I am good. Thank you in advance for posting!

Here is some background for the question. The original single exhaust on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB, was replaced by a dual setup under prior ownership. The car had a small exhaust leak that @71Polara383 fixed, but it has come back and gotten worse over time -- so I decided to replace the exhaust. I went with duals, on the recommendation of @david hill

In an attempt to be "correct" (despite the fact that my car originally came with a single exhaust), I ordered my duals from Waldron. The pipes arrived a few weeks ago, and they look great -- but the tips are straight. When I inquired, I was told by Ruth (my always helpful and cheerful contact there) that "Chrysler did not put turn downs in the tailpipes for 1972 models. We built your tailpipes using out IPC patterns & bend cards which are patterned off of Chrysler tailpipes; Chrysler’s part # for the driver side tailpipe is 3466053 & on the passenger side it is 3466054."

Waldron has always been correct in my experience with them (3 systems thus far, this is #4) but I am puzzled, as some of the original-looking cars in this thread seem to have turn downs (see here as an example). Of course, there is no way for me to know if those cars that look original, truly are. Looking at the 1972 parts manual (Section 11) and at the Chrysler brochures (Fuselage.de and Hamtramck Historical), I see no photo of the tail pipes -- they are well hidden by the rear bumper and lower quarters. Still, on the two 1972 Chryslers that I have seen with what seemed to be the OEM single exhaust, there was a turndown. Those are CL23M2C279105 (a GY4 Newport Royal 2dr now owned by @XavierHarvey ) and CS43T2C306134

@oliver , @Gluchie , @marty koirtyohann , @kingbowl93 , @Shelbyz08 , @Mr. Ball Cheese , @Rattle Trap , @Roberto , @Hotrodharbor , @Zeb204 , @MattfromMaine , @ricks_RR , @Jon O., @Crazy4Mopar , @weirdbeard , @Jacob Schreibert , @ytb29 , @scorp , @Rachie Barbie , @Keith926 , @schwarzsurfer , @21_forever , @Alan Adcock

I do have a 1973 2 door Imperial with some 33K miles on it and I am pretty sure it has a single exhaust system that I will go out and look at a little later in the day but those cars from the factory came with single exhaust systems and the last piece in the exhaust system was the resonator that always has the turn down at the end as I recall. So if Waldron's is talking about the tailpipe, then it was probably just cut off straight but when the resonator is added, it would have the turn down that you can see from some angles and depending on your level of sight. I don't believe 1972 and up Chrysler New Yorkers and Imperials from the factory ever came with dual exhaust systems since there was no 440HP engine option and I see no good reason to go with them unless you really value top end performance. Duals just add more complexity and service cost when the time comes.

For my 1970 and 1971 Chrysler 300s, with the 440 HP engines I do use the dual exhausts (no resonators) and on those at least there were turndowns at the end of the pipes but since no 440HPs were an option on any 1972 and up New Yorkers or Imperials for that matter there were no such dual tailpipes as an option and all had single exhaust systems with resonators being the last piece of the system. All of Chrysler's factory resonators had turn downs at the end. I do have a couple of nos ones too.

Actually, though, how did Waldrons make up a dual exhaust system for your 1972 New Yorker since they didn't offer such a system as far as I am aware. If they made one up for you then I guess they could have copied a 1971 dual exhaust system but on the 1971 Chryslers they had the 440HP engine and those exhaust manifolds would not work for a 1972 system. So I am a bit confused about what you would be getting........................... Except for Imperials, I do not own a 1972/3 Chrysler New Yorker so I may be unable to be sure I might have missed something.

Last edited:
I don't believe 1972 and up Chrysler New Yorkers and Imperials from the factory ever came with dual exhaust systems since there was no 440HP engine option and I see no good reason to go with them unless you really value top end performance. Duals just add more complexity and service cost when the time comes.

Actually, though, how did Waldrons make up a dual exhaust system for your 1972 New Yorker since they didn't offer such a system as far as I am aware. If they made one up for you then I guess they could have copied a 1971 dual exhaust system but on the 1971 Chryslers they had the 440HP engine and those exhaust manifolds would not work for a 1972 system. So I am a bit confused about what you would be getting........................... Except for Imperials, I do not own a 1972/3 Chrysler New Yorker so I may be unable to be sure I might have missed something.

dual exhaust was an option on 72 440 Chryslers - but not available on Imperials & Town and Country

1688061418918.png

it bumped the net hp up to 245 over the single exhaust 440's 225 net hp.
afaik these were not TNT U codes

Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4-Door Hardtop 440 V-8 TorqueFlite (aut. 3) , model year 1972, version for North America U.S.:

Chrysler New Yorker 2-Door Hardtop 440 V-8 TorqueFlite (dual exhaust) (aut. 3) , model year 1972, version for North America U.S.:

dual exhaust was an option on 72 440 Chryslers - but not available on Imperials & Town and Country

View attachment 603915

it bumped the net hp up to 245 over the single exhaust 440's 225 net hp.
afaik these were not TNT U codes

Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4-Door Hardtop 440 V-8 TorqueFlite (aut. 3) , model year 1972, version for North America U.S.:

Chrysler New Yorker 2-Door Hardtop 440 V-8 TorqueFlite (dual exhaust) (aut. 3) , model year 1972, version for North America U.S.:

Well, I learned something new. I am surprised Chrysler would have done that on a non-HP car...............thanks for the information. When Chrysler started making the front of the 72s and especially the 73s more square to lean into the formal look to come later, I pretty much lost interest in the 72s and up - however they did have even more sumptuous interiors and lower noise levels than even the improved 71s which was worth something to me at least. Maybe if @ayilar wants the new dual exhaust more quiet, maybe he could add a resonator on each end that should/would have the correct turn down like was done on my 1970 Cuda 6 pack from the factory.

It also surprises me that they would make the dual exhaust available on a New Yorker but not on the Town & Country models.

Last edited:

The exhaust tail pipes in question are in the photo below. At the same time @73 New Yorker, ( Randy ), had dropped off his1973 New Yorker for repairs. The Waldron tail pipes ordered were a dimensional exact match to the tailpipes on his Randy's car as seen in photos 2 &3. Since the there are the same in length a short extension pipe will be needed w/ the appropriate turn down. Have any members had this experience before and where did you get the needed pipes.

20230602_120155.jpg

20230607_103726.jpg

20230607_103736.jpg

Well, I learned something new. I am surprised Chrysler would have done that on a non-HP car...............thanks for the information. When Chrysler started making the front of the 72s and especially the 73s more square to lean into the formal look to come later, I pretty much lost interest in the 72s and up - however they did have even more sumptuous interiors and lower noise levels than even the improved 71s which was worth something to me at least. Maybe if @ayilar wants the new dual exhaust more quiet, maybe he could add a resonator on each end that should/would have the correct turn down like was done on my 1970 Cuda 6 pack from the factory.

It also surprises me that they would make the dual exhaust available on a New Yorker but not on the Town & Country models.
but a 73 exhaust manifold may take the bigger copper gasket my cousin cant use the felpro ones he had to use the bigger manifold copper gasket is yur exhaus manifilolds openings
Port Height
1.5 in (38.1 mm)
Port Width
1.75 in (44.5 mm) JEGS 210555: Copper Exhaust Gaskets Big Block Chrysler 383-440 Wedge - JEGS

then it will take the smaller one like thiis.
Port Height
1.7 in (43.2 mm)
Port Width
1.7 in (43.2 mm)
JEGS 210556: Copper Exhaust Gaskets Big Block Chrysler 440 Wedge [Square Port] - JEGS

ghis is what im ordering for my 72 440 T motor
JEGS 210555: Copper Exhaust Gaskets Big Block Chrysler 383-440 Wedge - JEGS

Fel-Pro MS90029: Exhaust Manifold Gaskets 1958-79 Big Block Chrysler except Hemi - JEGS

3of these 3 pack JEGS 28004: Anti-Seize, 3 gram Packets [3 Pack] - JEGS

& 2 of the fel-pro steel inter ring (this is fr the 440)
FEL-PRO 60025 Fel-Pro 60025: EXH FLANGE GASKET CHRYSLE - JEGS

The exhaust tail pipes in question are in the photo below. At the same time @73 New Yorker, ( Randy ), had dropped off his1973 New Yorker for repairs. The Waldron tail pipes ordered were a dimensional exact match to the tailpipes on his Randy's car as seen in photos 2 &3. Since the there are the same in length a short extension pipe will be needed w/ the appropriate turn down. Have any members had this experience before and where did you get the needed pipes.

View attachment 603942

View attachment 603943

View attachment 603944

I just went out into my garage where my 1971 440HP New Yorker is sitting and took a photo of one of its original exhaust pipe tips (the car only has an original 38K miles on it and this pipe shown below is its original one). I would expect the 72 models with dual exhaust would have looked the same. The Waldron end is a start but it will need to be modified somewhat to get it to look as original. The original pipe shown in the photos would need to be bent upward just a little to make the end sit horizontal just below the valence and the tapered outlet as it sits now would need to be rounded with a suitable grinder/sander to round/scallop it out more. If the Waldron tailpipe is not long enough maybe a muffler shop would be able to add a short length that looks like the original one in the photos below. Maybe if someone has a 1972 model with its original dual exhaust system they could verify what I am showing below would be the same for the 1972 models.

1688074368521.jpeg

1688074499383.jpeg

1688074566096.jpeg

I also have a set of dual exhaust pipes for one of my 1971 Chrysler 300s with the 440 HP engine just sent on its way to me from Waldrons and they should be here in a matter of a few days now, so it looks like I will have some work to do as well.

This New Yorker is the Lemon Twist one as shown in Scott's sunroof registry

https://moparsunroofregistry.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/sunroof1971chryslercars.pdf

Last edited:
you could get dual exhaust on Town & Country in 69 and 70 but not after that.
people get confused about the wagons having dual snorkel air filters and think that means they are a Firepower / TNT but that option wasn't available in C body wagons after 67, and 71 was the last year a dual snorkel was used with the 440 in a wagon.
i assume the 65-68 440 wagons had dual exhaust, but i have more knowledge of fuselage & formals than pre 69s so i cant say absolutely.

While I am not an expert in this area, IMO, no factory Chrysler-Corp car would've come with straight-cut pipes like that (back to the bumper, anyway).
The pipes would've been spec'd by Chrysler to either have a slant cut or some sort of turndown (or a resonator with tip).
Straight-cut like these Waldrons would've emulated a farmer's pickup truck with a treadplate step bumper.

However - I am completely surprised that they did offer a dual-exh option on the 72 440. I've never seen this separately from part of an engine option.

Here's is what I did on my 300L:
These are Flowmaster B-body tailpipes (which do come back to the bumper, straight). Flowmaster 15806 Flowmaster Tailpipe Kits | Summit Racing
I cut them shorter and added a Walker 15° bend on the end.
I know everybody loves TTI tailpipes, but I do not - they hang down beside the gastank and the termination then looks very odd to me.
They are visible by the gas tank when viewing the car from a distance, and I don't like that.
These Flowmaster tailpipes tuck up nicely beside the gas tank and are out of sight.
This termination is the style I like, emulated a factory turndown, although I do wish it was about 2" higher/closer to the bumper - a near-horizontal cut would visually help with that, I suppose.

Rest of the system is some 19-22" case mufflers and TTI H-pipe and headpipes.

1688125755393.png

1688126027074.png

Here is an attempt to accomplish the same thing with my 68 Fury, but the lower-hanging TTI tailpipes here make it a no-go, the bends hang too low.
1688126991686.png

I know everybody loves TTI tailpipes, but I do not - they hang down beside the gastank and the termination then looks very odd to me.
They are visible by the gas tank when viewing the car from a distance, and I don't like that.
same here. hate 'em. they're not hung right and stand right out. exhaust should be heard not seen.

same here. hate 'em. they're not hung right and stand right out. exhaust should be heard not seen.
I'd prefer they hang next to the frame rail vs under it, but satisfied with the kits I've installed. Plus I can get them in a totally unnecessary 3" diameter which sounds better in my opinion. I would have gone with an Accurate exhaust system but tti for my budget better, and I didn't have to wait for winter and then they make out C body kits. If I ever do a car as a purist, I'll go with Accurate or Waldron's. Accurate exhaust as very polite and easy the deal was the over the phone, answering all my questions, and being honest about their production schedule.

C body kits.
you guys should consider pooling your money a buy a basic exhaust bender. have it shipped to Wyatt's and tell him he can have it if he'll do exhausts for you. you all know and trust each other. you all need exhausts for all the cars your doing. if you own your own machine you guys can make the systems any way you want. you all could turn out C body kits from here to Kingdom come and do it on your own schedule.

you guys should consider pooling your money a buy a basic exhaust bender. have it shipped to Wyatt's and tell him he can have it if he'll do exhausts for you. you all know and trust each other. you all need exhausts for all the cars your doing. if you own your own machine you guys can make the systems any way you want. you all could turn out C body kits from here to Kingdom come and do it on your own schedule.
If I was going the stock route, I would, but I'm a day two type of guy, rims, exhaust and as big a tire I can fit. Not a bad idea though.

the stock route
that's the thing about having access to a bender. you don't have to go the stock route. do side exit with reverse flow mufflers. tail pipes that come straight out the back. station wagon style that exit at the corners of the bumper. i made a set of fender well headers with dump caps and flame throwers for my '78 new yorker many years ago. that's just cars. there's also trucks. 4wd swept sides that need custom dualies. it goes on forever.

I'll get to deal with that in the future.
plan for it now. commercial grade equipment lasts a lifetime. the sooner you purchase, the more use you'll get for the same cost. get a second hand machine. they hold their value. if it doesn't work out, sell it to the next guy. you bought a house. would rather have paid rent this whole time?

Hey Guys,

been a very long time since I posted on here, I just bought ANOTHER C Body, this time a pretty neat 72 Newport Royal, not many options, not even A/C! Its been in Australia for about 8-10years. I was hunting around the web and found the original video of it when it was for sale in the USA!

The Edelbrock carby is junk as its flooding the motor on & off, 3rd set of plugs already!!, new carpets ordered and I am hunting for a new vinyl top as this one is really badly made, who do you guys recommend for a quality replacement?

Original Sales Video Of This Car!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Thank you for posting about CL41M2C152577

i ordered the vinyl top for Buttercup, my 1972 NYB, from SMS. It is perfect. This said, @73Coupe will tell you he had to wait a loooong time to get the same correct top for his (similar) ‘73.

@Oz Sport Fury -- I don't see the V1X code for the black vinyl top on your Newport Royal (it has to be a Royal, as the A1Y5 interior is unique to that line). The third line from bottom shows GY8, so the roof was originally painted in the main color (no vinyl top). Yet, it has the moldings for a vinyl top.

Perhaps @69CoronetRT can chime in?

Back