The 1972 Chrysler Thread

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I started The 1973 Chrysler Thread, with the idea of its becoming an informal registry for those cars and a repository for Q&As and information about them. Almost 200 posts later, it is time to start a thread for their predecessors.

As a number of you know, I acquired a 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham this past June. This thread is not about Buttercup, however. It is about all the 1972 Chryslers.

There are a number of '72 Chrysler owners on the board. I am 100% sure that I am missing many (please chime in!) with the following list:

(i) NYer/NYB: USA (e.g., @oliver, @Gluchie, @marty koirtyohann, @kingbowl93, @Shelbyz08, @Mr. Ball Cheese, @Rattle Trap, @Roberto and myself), Europe (e.g., @Hotrodharbor in the Netherlands, @Zeb204 in Poland).

(ii) Newport: USA (e.g., @MattfromMaine, @ricks_RR, @Jon O., @Crazy4Mopar, @weirdbeard, @Jacob Schreibert, @ytb29, @scorp, @Rachie Barbie), Canada (e.g., @Keith926), and in Europe (e.g., @schwarzsurfer in Germany, @21_forever in France, and @Filippoff in Belarus).

(iv) Past/future owners: @polara71, @71Polara383, @Alan Adcock have plenty of experience with the 1972's as well. @JBR MA used to own a 1972 NYB 2dr and remains a fan, @Mark Wayne is into '72 Newports and @amazinblue82 is known to like '72 police Newports.

To get the thread going, I'll start with:

1. Scans of a Road Test Magazine article on all new Chryslers Corp. cars, courtesy of the Imperial Club. The Chrysler line-up is described on pp. 2 and 3.

2. a number of YouTube videos:
(i) the film promoting, in the form of a slide deck, to dealers the new features of the 1972 Chrysler line (NYer, Newport and Imperial);
(ii) a short commercial film for the Chrysler Royal hardtop;
(iii) a narrated slide-deck for Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealers, describing the cars offered in various market segments (here is another version of the same video);
(iv) another narrated slide deck describing engineering/production features in 1972.

Holiday cheers!

Last edited:
I have seen a number of 1972 Chryslers with German plates. Hopefully some of the owners are on FCBO, but perhaps some of our German members can chime in @ceebuddy @fc7_plumcrazy @Marv @Georg/DFL @300L @Xlratr @Michael R/T @vdk2010 @drrock @schwarzsurfer

Let us start with a blue or turquoise 2dr NYer ("base" model):
029504_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=9T8F7Ejhsj4AX-JbsE_&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

Here is what seems to be the same car in 2004 (different plates and wheels, but same chrome "extra" on the hod):

A Newport Custom 4dr sedan in Cloppenburg, 2017:

A New Yorker Brougham in Hannover, 2012:

A NYB in Recklinghausen, 2013:

A NYer 4dr hardtop from BBTR 3 in 2018 (picture courtesy of Georg):
img_4787-jpg.jpg

Finally, this gorgeous Newport Royal at BBTR #2 in 2017 looks like @schwarzsurfer's (this picture also courtesy of Georg; the same car was at the first BBTR 2016):
img_6063-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I own CH23T2C254070: base 2Dr NYer with manual windows and seats; currently not running due to bad fuel pump. It will be looking for a new home in the near future.

Chry2.jpg

Last edited:
@T-revorNobody: I hope your post scares folks into saving our beautiful big ones. BTW, you did not mention the "custom interior with leather Chevy front power seats." :eek:

Back to more pics of '72 Chryslers with German plates:

This 2018 pic shows a GY4 NYB 4dr sedan in Hamburg:

And here is what seems to be a GT8 NYB 4dr hardtop, in Herten back in 2013:

Last edited:
I have seen a number of 1972 Chryslers with German plates. Hopefully some of the owners are on FCBO, but perhaps some of our German members can chime in @ceebuddy @fc7_plumcrazy @Marv @Georg/DFL @300L @Xlratr @Michael R/T @vdk2010 @drrock @schwarzsurfer

Let us start with a blue or turquoise 2dr NYer ("base" model):
View attachment 426240
Here is what seems to be the same car in 2004 (different plates and wheels, but same chrome "extra" on the hod):

A Newport Custom 4dr sedan in Cloppenburg, 2017:

A New Yorker Brougham in Hannover, 2012:

A NYB in Recklinghausen, 2013:

A NYer 4dr hardtop from BBTR 3 in 2018 (picture courtesy of Georg):
View attachment 426241

Finally, this gorgeous Newport Royal at BBTR #2 in 2017 looks like @schwarzsurfer's (this picture also courtesy of Georg; the same car was at the first BBTR 2016):
View attachment 426242

Hi Michel,

the first two 72 New Yorkers are the same car.
It was an all original unrestored car when it came to Germany back in 1993. You might find pics with a "DU" plate, too. Went to "PI" and then "KLE". It was for sale lately but I don't know if it sold

Carsten

Last edited:
Sorry, I am a bit late to the party, @ayilar, but as I can see @fc7_plumcrazy left some 72s for me to post. :)

I have 41 1972 Chryslers in my Registry, some of them were shown already. These are the ones I can contribute:

All the Newport Royals and Newport Customs 2dr HT:

72er_Chrysler_Newport_2dr_HT_02_.jpeg

72er_Chrysler_Newport_2dr_HT_02.jpg

72er_Chrysler_Newport_2dr_HT_Andreas_Mayringer.jpg

72er_Chrysler_Newport_2dr_HT_FOR_SALE_23950.jpg

72er_Chrysler_Newport_2dr_HT_FOR_SALE_26900.jpg

The last one is very special to me, because I really like a white 1972 T&C and I missed buying that very car by a few days. It was bought new in Paris, France, and stayed with the original family up untill 2015. It was then bought by a Belgian guy and resides now near Brussels, Belgium. IIRC, the car had just 82.000 kilometers on the clock, was equipped with a km/h speedo scale and was pretty well equipped. Hope that it will one day show up at the BBTR show!

B_72er_Chrysler_TownCountry.jpg

the problem is simply going through the pics.
mine are not sorted by cars they are just consequently in a timely manor.
And I would need to go through several 100.000 pics to sort them out.

Here is a remarkable car.
Not by its options but the condition.
This 1972 is an all original fully documented 6.000 Mile survivor.
It was bought in Hershey ten years ago with 2.246 miles on the speedo.
Still has its original wheels and tires (currently driven on a second set of wheels/tires)

It is for sale, too

thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Back