The 1973 Chrysler Thread

Thanks to @67newport we know about CM43M3C198408 -- a 1973 Newport Custom 4dr hardtop that has been listed for sale near Vermontville (on FB) in MI for a few weeks. Seems to be GE7 paint with V1L parchment vinyl top and D7L3 Corwin cloth & parchment vinyl interior.

View attachment 573173

View attachment 573174

View attachment 573175

View attachment 573176

View attachment 573177

View attachment 573178

View attachment 573179

View attachment 573180

View attachment 573181

View attachment 573182
Not sure if you’re still around, but I actually own this car now

Not sure if you’re still around, but I actually own this car now
Indeed, I am -- and would love to hear more about CM43M3C198408 's history, both prior to and under your ownership!

Indeed, I am -- and would love to hear more about CM43M3C198408 's history, both prior to and under your ownership!
I just got it a week ago. Runs but not great since it’s been sitting for quite a while. Rebuilt the carb and gave it a tune up yesterday. Flushing the old gas and getting some new in it tomorrow. I’ve been trying to figure out why it’s titled as as 72 instead of a 73

I just got it a week ago. Runs but not great since it’s been sitting for quite a while. Rebuilt the carb and gave it a tune up yesterday. Flushing the old gas and getting some new in it tomorrow. I’ve been trying to figure out why it’s titled as as 72 instead of a 73
It may have been manufactured in 1972 as a 1973 model-year car. The fender tag (on the radiator support, near the battery) and the VIN tag (on the driver's door) will confirm it. It'd be great if you could post pics of the two.

It may have been manufactured in 1972 as a 1973 model-year car. The fender tag (on the radiator support, near the battery) and the VIN tag (on the driver's door) will confirm it. It'd be great if you could post pics of the two.
I’ll get some pictures when I can. I’ve got it at work so I can use the lift for a few things. Vin labels it’s as a 73. Haven’t checked the fender tag.

can't wait to get my 73 home. love these old boats.
IMG_7435.jpeg

As per my electrical gremlin query thread this is my recently acquired NY... CS23T3C273448.
It appears it was originally blue, was imported to the UK for a TV production company..looks to have a significant amount of filler in various areas(but floors appear good) as part of the repaint and is generally in need of some love to avoid it continuing its decline.

Screenshot_20231202_203922_Facebook.jpg

As per my electrical gremlin query thread this is my recently acquired NY... CS23T3C273448.
It appears it was originally blue
Thank you for posting. The tag will tell us more :)

A movie star, eh? Would be fantastic to see some pics of CS23T3C273448 in action
-- you could post them in one of these threads:

Movie trivia with MOPARS

Background movie cars

Cheers!

For those interested, I now know of seven 1973 Chryslers in the UK:

--> three T&C -- as per this post by @v8brit . The green one is his and the yellow one is a friend of his

21.jpeg

RON (1).jpeg

--> four NYBs, one owned by @sidsnot (turquoise 4dr hardtop, now burgundy), one by @IronMighty (a blue 2dr, now turquoise -- see above), one owned by @NEW YORKER 440 (2dr, color unknown) and a black 4dr hardtop owned by @yabadaba

1702427197475.png

1702427037330.png

Figured this was as good a place as any for this picture. Great night for a drive. Thank you again to @davidhill for the heater core work. Wishing you all an early Merry Christmas from DRK SD 73.

IMG_5389.jpeg

Figured this was as good a place as any for this picture. Great night for a drive. Thank you again to @davidhill for the heater core work. Wishing you all an early Merry Christmas from DRK SD 73.

View attachment 632172
Good to hear from you. I saw the temps for Ill. for tomorrow, You're right, you need good heat on a Dec. night. the movie theater marquee was a nice touch.

For those interested, I now know of seven 1973 Chryslers in the UK:

--> three T&C -- as per this post by @v8brit . The green one is his and the yellow one is a friend of his

View attachment 632153
View attachment 632151

--> four NYBs, one owned by @sidsnot (turquoise 4dr hardtop, now burgundy), one by @IronMighty (a blue 2dr, now turquoise -- see above), one owned by @NEW YORKER 440 (2dr, color unknown) and a black 4dr hardtop owned by @yabadaba

View attachment 632166
View attachment 632165
I was trying to get the black 73 when it was for sale state side, missed it.

Here is my 73 Newport, painted Rumble bee yellow.
@Daly -- would love to see the fender tag of your car. I like the steering wheel that you added, it matches thew paint. Cool Newport.

@Daly -- would love to see the fender tag of your car. I like the steering wheel that you added, it matches thew paint. Cool Newport.
These are the clearest pics I have of the tag. Short of taking it off and wire wheeling the paint off. Which is not something I plan on doing anytime soon.
20240128_105330.jpg
20240128_105237.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting! Looks like CL23M3C11x20x ( CL23M3C118206 if I read correctly?) was originally painted DY2 Sunfire Yellow. I am usually a "keep it original" kinda guy, but IMHO the Y1-like paint that the car currently sports fits it like a glove. The lack of A/C (your car has the H41 heater only) means it will be easier to keep her in full working condition, and in Canada that's all good (I think I read a C on the VON, but am not sure). Congrats, and keep us posted on how she goes.

Thank you for posting! Looks like CL23M3C11x20x ( CL23M3C118206 if I read correctly?) was originally painted DY2 Sunfire Yellow. I am usually a "keep it original" kinda guy, but IMHO the Y1-like paint that the car currently sports fits it like a glove. The lack of A/C (your car has the H41 heater only) means it will be easier to keep her in full working condition, and in Canada that's all good (I think I read a C on the VON, but am not sure). Congrats, and keep us posted on how she goes.
I can assure you where I am in Canada there are days and weeks where A/C would be nice. Lol

No, the tilt-only steering column is the same as on cars equipped with tilt & relescope steering wheels, just without the telescoping feature. The tilt-only wheel is almost identical to the tilt & telescope wheel (but without the lever for locking the telescoping position.
I did not know this ear of cars had a tilt only wheel. I know the T and T well and the straight no tilt. Ordered two cars in this era (1972 Imperial and 1973 NYB). one had T&T and other was no tilt but never knew there was a middle ground for MOPAR

Back