The 1973 Chrysler Thread

What is the hierarchy of these cars starting from the lowest package Newport to the top car

This does not include the Imperial.

1973 Chrysler is from highest level trim to lowest level trim:
New Yorker Brougham
New Yorker
Town & Country wagon
Newport Custom
Newport

I will add to this the Navajo. It was a Newport special edition (VIN code: CL for "Chrysler Low" as seen in the tag posted by @ma_mopar when he sold CL43M3C319293 last year). Several members own ’73 Navajos. They all sport a striking JK3 paint and B1KW interior (with orange carpets and an apparently indestructible Navajo-pattern fabric).

Last edited:
3. AND (and this is where we disagree), from the 1973 Dealership Data Book page that I posted above, I would say that it was possible to specify (as an option) a color-coded 3-D insert for the upper moulding on NYer and NYB in 1973 (in replacement of the filigree insert).
It's really Never Say Never with Ma Mopar. So you convinced me in there was an optional vinyl insert trim. Does someone have a price list to find out how much was charged for that?

Was vinyl top mandatory on a Navajo? I recall seeing one with black top on here but all the others sported V1W

I don't think it was mandatory. But it was part of the package. So someone would have had to actively delete it and most likely not get a refund for that. I can hardly imagine someone doing so as most people viewed a vinyl top as an asset back then.

There are a number of '73 Chrysler owners on the board. (...)
(ii) Newport: @DeMopuar and @Scott own 2dr 1973 Newport Navajos. So does @chry73luv, who also owns another 2dr. (...) @ma_mopar saved and then sold a 4dr Navajo last year.​
We can now add @Ripinator to the above (incomplete) list of current 1973 Navajo owners :thumbsup:, and @Carmine to the list of past owners.

As well, I ought to add the Mariner to the list of 1973 Chrysler models -- even though it was probably a one-off.

Last edited:
Gonna jump in and add I'm not a '73 Chrysler owner but I do have a rechromed rear bumper for a New Yorker if any of you guys need one. Wish I had car to put it on.

We can now add @Ripinator to the above (incomplete) list of current 1973 Navajo owners :thumbsup:, and @Carmine to the list of past owners.

As well, I ought to add the Mariner to the list of 1973 Chrysler models -- even though it was probably a one-off.
Love the Mariner, someone needs to clone this model. Wish I had kept my '73 NYB, but it just wasn't in the cards.

Now, those are dangerous words as some forum member will have just the right New Yorker to put it on, and you'll be driving it home.

Laughs
Yeah I realize the danger in saying that. That comment usually leads to another car :) It's just the bumper no tits. I thought they were called bumper guards lol

Thanks @58Desoto — Wyatt tells me that the bumper is just what Ming needed to look even better.

In other news, to the recently augmented short list of 1973 Chryslers owned by FCBO members, we can add:

1. a Newport being “sinisterized” by @SuperDave in Florida. A brief history of the car is here.
2. @ukfanalways 's green 1973 NYB. His garage is here.
3. @73nyorkerbroughm . His ownership of a burnished red NYB goes back 20+ years.
4. finally, how could I forget @dh23t 's sunroof NYB? Beautiful blue metallic with white buckets and white sunroof vinyl top!

That's 23 people and 25 cars right there, folks -- not counting those who used to own one or want one! I think we ought to have a proper Carlisle 50-year reunion in 1973 :)

Last edited:
wow not sure how i missed this post im looking for both doors and rear trim for my 72 newport custom does any know who or where i can get them
0804171759.jpg
0815171659.jpg

I'm looking for both doors and rear trim for my 72 Newport Custom. Does any know who or where i can get them?

I have a '72 NYB coming in, so we should do a thread for the 1972 Chryslers too!

Meanwhile, my suggestion is for you to get the parts manual (MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference), get the exact part numbers, and then do an internet/eBay search for each of those. I would also strongly suggest trying @marty mopar -- his Arizona Motor Parts side is well organized ( you can search by part number and also by key word, though the latter is a bit finicky): I have been very happy with the price/quality of all the hard-to-find Mopar spares that Marty keeps in stock.

Edit: I see that you and Marty have communicated already, twice actually.

If you come up empty-handed, send me the parts numbers and I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, if you could post the fender tag of your car, we'd see what color inserts you need.

Last edited:
I hope I am not stepping on your trim discussion, but I am thinking this would be the place to ask about 73 New Yorkers.
Does anyone know this car in Cincinnati Ohio, I found these pictures on SM Classic cars. Site kinda looks like it reproduces old ads to bait interested people.
Also I have not owned a New Yorker for a long time, the one we had we loved. It was a 1976 New Yorker full load of options, once I had it all sorted and looking good I got offered a good price and away it went.
I have been really interested in a nice original survivor type 1973 New Yorker Brougham, If any 73 NYB owners could share some thoughts, reviews or heads up on ownership of a 73 NYB that would be great.
I was really wanting to get a chance at the 73 New Yorker Town and Country that was listed here in Toronto Kijiji, but that go well with the seller not willing to share information on the car or allow viewings.
Thanks again, here are some pics of what I am discussing.

chrysler-new-yorker-brougham-1.JPG

chrysler-new-yorker-brougham-2.JPG

chrysler-new-yorker-brougham-3.JPG

Does anyone know this car in Cincinnati Ohio, I found these pictures on SM Classic cars.

I think that @yabadaba's now owns the car. @shooter65 mentioned the UK departure in this post. I connected the dots after seeing this thread and specifically this post -- the interior matches, down to the driver floor mat.

I have been really interested in a nice original survivor type 1973 New Yorker Brougham, If any 73 NYB owners could share some thoughts, reviews or heads up on ownership of a 73 NYB that would be great.

I have a thread about Ming, my 1973 NYB that is currently being spruced up. The paint is not original, but pretty much everything else (including the perfect vinyl top) is. Most of the owners I mentioned in the first post have a thread about their own cars.

Last edited:

When looking at another 1973 NYB, I found this post by @IwannaImp about the 1973 Mariner. Turns out an owner was his neighbor! If I read correctly his other post later in that same 2016 thread, though, the owner/his neighbor was in Maine. But @Carmine saw the car in Detroit around 2011, and that Mariner has been there since it was sold back in 1973. Does it mean that there were two?

When looking at another 1973 NYB, I found this post by @IwannaImp about the 1973 Mariner. Turns out an owner was his neighbor! If I read correctly his other post later in that same 2016 thread, though, the owner/his neighbor was in Maine. But @Carmine saw the car in Detroit around 2011, and that Mariner has been there since it was sold back in 1973. Does it mean that there were two?

What did you do before your sudden extreme passion in fuselage Cs?

Back