The Chrysler Kit Car

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
image.jpeg
This is Larry Piazza driving the Harry Hyde prepped Chrysler Kit car. Harry & Chrysler Engineer Larry Rathgab pick Piazza to drive because they didn't want a top highly susessfull driver. Why? Because they wanted to sell these to the average Joe short track racer. By putting a regular driver in the car they could prove the car made him better. Here Larry is at Concord speedway outside Charlotte, NC. Larry dominated the first race & won. He was so happy that he bought the car that night & went on to have a great year. Proving the Chrysler Kit Car program was the way to go if you could afford to buy one

image.jpeg
Pete Hamilton testing one of the early Kit Cars. Petty Enterprises was a distributor & built many of them. That's Tex Powell at the front tire. Richards brother in law Randy Owens on the jack. Randy was tragically killed at Talledega in 1975 in a pit road accident. Chrysler Lead Engineer Larry Rathgab in the tie. And Pete Hamilton standing to his left

image.jpeg
Richards Kit Car. I believe this is Joey Arrington driving. Buddy Arringtons son. He had a short driving career, but couldn't get funding. He has gone on to be a top engine builder & does a lot of late model Hemi stuff at his shop in Martinsville, Va

Yep, I remember the kit car's. Very cool for back in the day race car in a box.

Nice work again Bob! You got me pining for the old days AGAIN! Don't know where you get these pics from butt they're great!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sal Tovella won a LOT of races in Kit Cars. ARCA legend Bill Venturni got his start when he bought one of Tovella's Aspens. It's amazing to me at how many of the well known & sucessfull drivers, mechanics & crew chiefs ran or worked with Chrysler teams. Chrysler was a MAJOR player in the racing world in the 60's & 70's.

image.jpeg
Ernie Derr at the Mikwauke Mile. Ernie was a die hard Dodge guy & won more than one championship in his Dodges

Back