The Exner Imperials

I remember Godshall's article well and I also remember both letters to CA mag by Dave and Fred being printed in a later issue with a Statement by J. Godshall added. I even remember some conversation we had when the article was out freshly at the Dry Dock where I said their letters will be printed in the future issue as CA usually does not shy away from such controversies..

I never considered the "Pontiac affair" the central theme or Statement of this artice. The way I read the original article it was a recapture of the atmosphere in the Studio during that time as a historian in the truest neutral sense. Speaking as a historian this was the correct Approach, as a Chrysler representative back in the day that's another Thing, but not a Point in an article in automotive history.After all he admitted in hindsight his own work being second to the work of a rival GM design Team who was chasing for the same Group of buyers which I don't consider an easy Thing to do. And Pontiac sold more cars even though they did no more catch my personal taste in Full Size cars since around 1967. No article for Mopar Action and the likes but I find this one more interesting and first Hand. I remember similar Statements by well known GM corporate Designers in historical Review who said they were devestated and considered their own designs inferior when the 1957 Mopars came out btw.

I don't think a Person with a hostile attitude towards his employer in general could work there for 40 plus years and become a design chief for interiors (IIRC). .

I remember Godshall's article well and I also remember both letters to CA mag by Dave and Fred being printed in a later issue with a Statement by J. Godshall added. I even remember some conversation we had when the article was out freshlyat the Dry Dock where I said their letters will be printed in the future issue as CA usually does not shy away from such controversies..

The way I read the original article it was a recapture of the atmosphere in the Studio during that time as a historian in the truest neutral sense. Speaking as a historian this was the correct Approach, as a Chrysler representative back in the day that's another Thing, but not a Point in an article in automotive history.After all he admitted in hindsight his own work being second to the work of a rival GM design Team who was chasing for the same Group of buyers which I don't consider an easy Thing to do. And Pontiac sold more cars even though they did no more catch my personal taste in Full Size cars since around 1967. No article for Mopar Action and the likes but I find this one more interesting and first Hand.

I don't think a Person with a hostile attitude towards his employer in general could work there for 40 plus years and become a design chief for interiors (IIRC). .

I believe when Jeff was working he only did articles on cars that were of a personal interest to him and didn't write anything about Chrysler products until after he'd left the company.

I think he started to write Mopar related articles while still in the Corporation but near retirement. The one mentioned above was from 2008.

I remember Godshall's article well and I also remember both letters to CA mag by Dave and Fred being printed in a later issue with a Statement by J. Godshall added. I even remember some conversation we had when the article was out freshly at the Dry Dock where I said their letters will be printed in the future issue as CA usually does not shy away from such controversies..

I absolutely had no idea that the letters were published and if I did and have forgotten I should see a doctor tonight

I absolutely had no idea that the letters were published and if I did and have forgotten I should see a doctor tonight

Somebody ought to dig those up. They would be entertaining to read. :toothy10:

I'll post the page of the later CA issue with the letters sometime this day.

Dave, I don't know if you got Aware of your letter in print as at the time we discussed it in the Dry Dock it was merely a prediction on my behalf as this future issue wasn't printed at that time. I think it was the second issue after the original article was printed.

Somebody ought to dig those up. They would be entertaining to read.
toothy10.gif
I'm eager to read it.

Posted via Topify on Android

I have mixed feelings about him. Rightly or wrongly I interpret his "chasing" Pontiac laments as the height of disloyalty to Ma Mopar and an indication that the stylists there did not have the strength of their convictions or the confidence in their own creative abilities. I respect the fact that he is trying to provide objective insight but fear that his own biases are getting in the way. The question I have for him is why not go your own direction? He had enough class to respond to me in writing....

Scan0002.jpg

Scan0002.jpg

http://s446.photobucket.com/user/annessi-tuning/library/Kibo/CA Magazine?sort=3&page=1

Loaded the pages on this Photobucket Album photographed from different angles. Hope Fred and Dave don't mind, but after all it's been published in the mag anyways.,,
Hope it is readable, just photographed, no possibility for scans. Jeff Godshall also responded to Jeff's letter in the mag and the Editors seemed to be a bit unpleased with Dave's letter. ;)

Please try to take new pics Klaus.
Take the mag outside (in daylight) and shoot them you will get better results. Make sure the flashlight is turned off.

Thanks

Carsten

Back