The Exner Imperials

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Really nice article this month's issue of Hemmings. Part II will come next month and cover Engel's designs.

IMG_20141114_161614765.jpg

IMG_20141114_161614765.jpg

Last edited:
I was not happy when they glued a Wall Street Journal envelope in the middle of this article right on the '58-'59 pages. The adhesive would not release and ripped the print in several areas. Plus years ago I sent them pics for my '59 Imperial and none were used in the article. Only the '61 photo was not a factory photo. I sent them a email on both issues and see how they respond.

I was not happy when they glued a Wall Street Journal envelope in the middle of this article right on the '58-'59 pages. The adhesive would not release and ripped the print in several areas. Plus years ago I sent them pics for my '59 Imperial and none were used in the article. Only the '61 photo was not a factory photo. I sent them a email on both issues and see how they respond.

Mine was glued right in the middle of the article too. Not a good way to sell WSJ.

Last edited:
Elaborate please.

Posted via Topify on Android

255646 2007 collectible automobile.jpg

He was the writer on the cover article ( thats Freds car on the cover, deservingly so) The Polara/ Monaco board , Fred and I included picked that article apart. Fred and I both wrote to the magazine calling them out on article incorrectness and to the best of my knowledge, there was never a word from them. I assure you Fred was nicer about it than I was........

255646 2007 collectible automobile.jpg

View attachment 41152

He was the writer on the cover article ( thats Freds car on the cover, deservingly so) The Polara/ Monaco board , Fred and I included picked that article apart. Fred and I both wrote to the magazine calling them out on article incorrectness and to the best of my knowledge, there was never a word from them. I assure you Fred was nicer about it than I was........

hehehehehe I can just think of how "direct" you have been :)))

I didn't like the calling from them "chasing Pontiac" (design wise).

Carsten

I've met a few of the guys that write for the car mags and most of them aren't that sharp. Most do it as either a hobby or for extra income.

I've read so much stuff that was wrong or trying to sell their advertisers' junk that I gave up reading all car magazines.

I've met a few of the guys that write for the car mags and most of them aren't that sharp. Most do it as either a hobby or for extra income.

I've read so much stuff that was wrong or trying to sell their advertisers' junk that I gave up reading all car magazines.
Godshall was actually a Chrysler designer back in the day. His article provided some insight into their thinking at the time but was incapable or being objective. He was a closet Pontiac lover who came out of the closet for this article. I'd say they would have fired him had he let his true feelings be known back then.

Closeted Pontiac lover that sounds worst than a lot of other closeted things you could be engine design that should have been tossed after 5 years ends up surviving for 20. Only valuable thing that came out of Pontiac was the idea of packaging a hot rod instead of leaving it up to Joe dumbass to pick and choose options, of course they didn't do it right big motor no brakes and now we are stuck with nothing but option groups ordering a single option is n/a most of the time.

Careful, we have one of our very own somewhat uncloseted poncho lover on this board.

Careful, we have one of our very own somewhat uncloseted poncho lover on this board.

I think we have quite a few actually. I would have to say I am more a Buick guy. not that I would not pretend I am Jim Rockford or the Bandit if I were tossed the keys to Firebird or Trans am. Closeted Pontiac lover just struck me as funny.

It was just a funny (to me) statement nobody is scolding you for liking them. Now for some gasoline on this fire as I leave what exactly am I supposed to be so in love with on any 67 and later poncho.

It was just a funny (to me) statement nobody is scolding you for liking them. Now for some gasoline on this fire as I leave what exactly am I supposed to be so in love with on any 67 and later poncho.
Agreed. I am respectful of others members tastes so will reserve comment on late 60s Pontiac styling.

Godshall was actually a Chrysler designer back in the day. His article provided some insight into their thinking at the time but was incapable or being objective. He was a closet Pontiac lover who came out of the closet for this article. I'd say they would have fired him had he let his true feelings be known back then.

I've known Jeff for a long time and mutual friends have agreed that Jeff drank long and deep from the Chrysler Kool-Aid. Even as a retiree, he sings the company song.

Guys, if you still have your letters to CA about what you objected to in the '69 - '73 Dodge piece, I'd really like to read them.

Mine was glued right in the middle of the article too. Not a good way to sell WSJ.

I got the envelope out of my issue with no problems. It's just normal hot glue and removal just took a little patience. Being printed on shiny paper actually helps with getting the glue to let go.

Back