The First Dodge Dart

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/the-first-dodge-dart-a-1960-full-size-sedan/

1960-Dodge-Dart-Phoenix-Hardtop-Coupe-silver.jpg

The Dart name tag was probably the only model that was a full sized then mid size and finallly a compact car in North America.
Other global markets Chrysler used the Dart name on similar platforms

I've had 2 convertibles, sold both. Regret selling one of them, but just had to make room for new stuff coming in. Excellent cars

The lady across the street had green 4-door 1960 Dart when I was growing up. Car smoked like a chimney, especially at start up.

Lads --
In 1960, my dad made the terrible mistake of letting his 17-year old son go along when he was looking for a new car. Dad was always a Plymouth guy, but the new Dart was getting a lot of publicity, so our first stop was at the Dodge dealer. That guy had a beautiful blue Phoenix 2-dr H/T but it had just the 318. Since both my dad and I were avid followers ofTom McCahill in Mechanix Illustrated and "Uncle Tom" was a big fan of the 305 horse 361, I convinced my pop that we ought to look at the Plymouth instead. Thus we went the Fury route, but that Dart certainly was a beautiful car, better looking than the Fury.
BTW, the "big" engine for Plymouth in 1960 was supposed to be the ram-inducted 361, but because Dodge offered the ram 383 the Plymouth dealers cried foul. As a result, the junior marque started getting their own 383 later in the year.
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426-S/4- speed

Last edited:
Back