The Giant and Luxurious 1957 Imperial - Jay Leno’s Garage

That was a very interesting video that is current with the pandemic going on right now. Jay does the show by himself with no one in his shop due to the virus. So we don't get to see outside shots of the car driving down the road too much but he sure reminisces a lot more than usual. He truly enjoyed driving that car - it was more than clear. I can relate since I truly enjoy my 1957 300C as it doesn't drive like an old car at all. Mine has been totally restored, and everything works as it should. Mine does handle well even despite its size, so I know what Jay means.

Jay makes it clear that he really likes unrestored original cars like this one the most. He just renews the important things like seat foam and upholstery and gets everything working. No repaints etc and all original chrome.

One of the highlights of my life was when I got to tour his museum and his workshop maybe 10 years or so ago now and meet a lot of the guys. His chief body/paint guy Per Blixt took me on a mostly complete tour and I was even invited to lunch by Jay himself. What an amazing, real guy - he is just a super nice, cool guy with no BS and is just the same off camera as on. He even looked at my plate of food that he along with his lunch staff prepared for everyone and Jay saw I didn't have one item, and brought the plate over to me and told me to try some! I was floored. He deserves the best in life.

My 300F is all original and only 29K miles with all original paint and chrome that gleams just as nicely as this 1957 Imperial example since it has always been stored indoors too. I am hoping it ends up in his collection some day as I am pretty sure he would definitely consider it and he doesn't have one. It is one of my favorite cars of all time too, along with my 1957 300C. They really were ahead of their time back then.

One thing that I liked during the video when Jay was mentioning how unusual it felt to be in the shop alone - he said his complete staff, although not in the shop working these days, were fully paid and insured just as though things were normal. That is the way to take care of your employees and to engender their best efforts and comradery all around. It showed when I was there, big time!

My 300F is below that many have seen before but for those who have not, here it is..............I feel I am priviliged to just be its steward for now. Those were the days when excellence was the norm.

300F #1 (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1) (1).jpg

And here is my 1957 300C for the new comers as well........

300C #1 (1) (1) (2).jpg

On this Memorial Day, commit to take better care of yourself and stay well..................but moreover to remember those who have fallen in service to our country for the freedoms we have today. I believe we should all commit to find more common ground in these heated political times and to avoid divisiveness that will undermine what those before us fought for and died for. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back