For Sale The Kind of Driver I Like to Buy - 1999 Chrysler 300M

Status
Not open for further replies.

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Saw this auction this afternoon, and it is about to end in another day for you Florida folks (Monday). It is a one owner, 37K miles really nice 1999 300M for sale with great history. Don't know the reserve, but whatever it is, assuming it is reasonable, this seems to be a very good deal for someone. As I post this, high bid is $3650 with reserve not met. It would probably be a virtually new vehicle given the care shown and low miles.

1999 Chrysler 300 Series ~ One Owner | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

08_zpsa6pk5sjf.jpg

31_zpsmeuacjuw.jpg

If I didn't already have a similar vehicle, I would be interested:

2004-01-06 07.01.41.jpg

2004-01-06 07.02.58.jpg

That's funny as in 2004 we gave our 1994 Concorde to our son and bought a 2002 300m special. We now have 200k on our 300 and if the motor goes south I will rebuild it. As we love our 300M.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love my LHS (wanted the larger trunk). But one thing to keep in mind is a timing belt every 100k.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love my LHS (wanted the larger trunk). But one thing to keep in mind is a timing belt every 100k.

Carmine, given the low miles on this example, do you think a timing belt should be replaced due to age alone, despite it being below 100K? I have heard it both ways and wondered what you thought or have heard?

Even with the low miles, that rubber has still aged and dried-out from age. A new timing belt is cheap insurance AND then you don't have to worry about it.

CBODY67

Carmine, given the low miles on this example, do you think a timing belt should be replaced due to age alone, despite it being below 100K? I have heard it both ways and wondered what you thought or have heard?

What @CBODY67 says is how I would feel. If this were a 3.5 from '93-'97, I might gamble. After '98 they became interference engines (and gained 40 HP while losing the mid-grade fuel recommendation... which seems counter-intuitive, but it's true).

Still an excellent engine, with a power-to-size ratio that could would be competitive 20 years later (253 HP). I think belt failures are rare... I've never actually seen one but I know what I said is the mantenance schedule.

Saw this auction this afternoon, and it is about to end in another day for you Florida folks (Monday). It is a one owner, 37K miles really nice 1999 300M for sale with great history. Don't know the reserve, but whatever it is, assuming it is reasonable, this seems to be a very good deal for someone. As I post this, high bid is $3650 with reserve not met. It would probably be a virtually new vehicle given the care shown and low miles.

1999 Chrysler 300 Series ~ One Owner | eBay

View attachment 163788

View attachment 163789

View attachment 163790

If I didn't already have a similar vehicle, I would be interested:

View attachment 163785

View attachment 163787
Steve... yours is so much better... I despise the newer design, they killed ALL of the wonderful headroom... just in case someone wanted a bigger Cirrus... :mad:

This is after 7-8 years of MI winter use, (bought in 2010 in AZ) now totalling 170k as of 4:15 this morning. The lack of maintenace I give it is appalling and shameful. The tires are Goodyear Wranglers on LX rims. And yes, I re-badged it.

IMG_20180122_042028.jpg

IMG_20180122_041924.jpg

IMG_20180122_041839.jpg

I too own an 02 300 Special as our new car with 160K, it replaced our 95 LHS which now has 155K and is my winter beater! The 300 is starting to nickel and dime us, This week the lock cylinder failed and I have to get the tumblers installed today so the original key can be used because of the antitheft chip in it! I like both cars very much but age is getting the best of them as dependable daily drivers! the LHS has required less repair over the 15 years Iv owned than the 300 that Iv owned for 7! Electronics will be the death of them!! the 300 was rearended this fall but I bought it back and did the repair and made a nice profit to boot! the bumper actually healed in the sun and I found a trunk lid in silver so no painting , had to jack out the trunk opening to get it to seal again!

DSCN1815 (2).JPG

Got a CDI deal off the lease lot in December of '02, on an '02 300M Special with 11K on it. Best FWD Chrysler I've ever owned and those words were echoed from Driver Mechanics on the P-Grounds when they drove them starting in '99. Worst thing I can say about them iz the location of the battery and the dance you have to do to swap one out. I'll add one thing to the belt swap. While you're in there swap out the water pump too. You're there so why not? Had our Daughter fly into Detroit in the summer of '12 and handed her the keys and the Title with instructions to give them to her Daughter when she got it back to Wilmington, N.C. for Grand Babies 16 BD. Grand Baby is now a sophomore @ UNC Greensboro and she and her 300M are both doing fine, Jer

I too own an 02 300 Special as our new car with 160K, it replaced our 95 LHS which now has 155K and is my winter beater! The 300 is starting to nickel and dime us, This week the lock cylinder failed and I have to get the tumblers installed today so the original key can be used because of the antitheft chip in it! I like both cars very much but age is getting the best of them as dependable daily drivers! the LHS has required less repair over the 15 years Iv owned than the 300 that Iv owned for 7! Electronics will be the death of them!! the 300 was rearended this fall but I bought it back and did the repair and made a nice profit to boot! the bumper actually healed in the sun and I found a trunk lid in silver so no painting , had to jack out the trunk opening to get it to seal again!

View attachment 163936

I wish they never stopped making the LHS. I'd buy one today.

Steve... yours is so much better... I despise the newer design, they killed ALL of the wonderful headroom... just in case someone wanted a bigger Cirrus... :mad:

Actually Jeff, I really like my 1997 Concorde much better than the ones that came after it starting in 1998 - 2004 I believe. A friend of mine has a 2004 Concorde, and while it is faster than mine, everything else about it seemed not as slick. The ride in mine is more supple and it still handles at least as well as the 2004 and the ergonomics of mine are superior for me as well and it is more quiet. Visibility is superior, as is feel of materials and so much more and I prefer the smaller size. I will just keep mine forever. Most satisfying car I have ever driven. Every time I drive it, I ask myself "how does a car get any better than this?"

I would change the belt 20 y.o. rubber and a interference engine. It would be stupid not to invest the small amount of time over a complete teardown. I have to say they are a simple maintenance nightmare, but pulling to whole engine is surprisingly not too bad.
B.T.W. anyone want a 02 300m 225k, about 100k on trans , less than 30k on solenoid pack, ~125k on engine with 75k on belt, pump, and idler. CHEAP. Too many daily drivers. This is the one to go. Would like to see it find a good home.

Actually Jeff, I really like my 1997 Concorde much better than the ones that came after it starting in 1998 - 2004 I believe. A friend of mine has a 2004 Concorde, and while it is faster than mine, everything else about it seemed not as slick. The ride in mine is more supple and it still handles at least as well as the 2004 and the ergonomics of mine are superior for me as well and it is more quiet. Visibility is superior, as is feel of materials and so much more and I prefer the smaller size. I will just keep mine forever. Most satisfying car I have ever driven. Every time I drive it, I ask myself "how does a car get any better than this?"
I love them, I would probably shop for one, but I don't have a need for it and no room for more.
My most favoritest LH style, by far.

View attachment 164009
Blah...

No offense Carmine... I just really hated what they did to those cars, I was very hot to own one until I sat in it.

Very nice.
Wonder what this dealer gave the owners for cash or trade. Would have been nice to deal with original owner.

Bid to $4050, reserve not met. Time to call the dealer and make a deal if you live in Florida and need a good driver, IMO. That seems very cheap for such a nice, near new condition car.

When the LH cars were "on the horizon", I suspected we'd see some at Mopar Nats that year. We were NOT disappointed! The first batch seemed to be the "Kacki Myca" color as many dealers loaded up their family/friends and drove to Mopar Nats in them that year. Probably about 20 LHSs in that color!

The real surprise was when the Chrysler guys rolled in in THEIR cars (manufacturer plates and all). The "throng" followed them to where they parked. Suddenly, as they got out of the car in their Chrysler Engineering polo shirts, they were surrounded and the questions about the cars started flying. They were not ready for that instant celebrity! Neat to see!! They happily answered questions until somebody came to "rescue" them.

The LHS became my "Rent Car of Choice" with Dollar/Thrifty. For my trips to Mopar Nats and other weekend excursions. Never disappointed! Wished the rear struts weren't quite so bouncy, compared to the fronts.

One of our Mopar Club members, back then, ran the Chrysler Training Ctr in Dallas/Irving. He told us that the orig 3.5 could make 300 horsepower pretty easy. Probably by removing the cast-in "rings" in the throttle bodies, for more air flow?

When my parents suddenly needed another car in late summer 1995, Mother didn't want a "stick shift", so an LHS was out. They found a New Yorker at a nearly small town dealership. The dealer's wife had it for her demo. The neat thing about the New Yorker version was that the seat pattern mimicked the '69 New Yorker split bench seat.

When it got to be 6 years old, the same dealer recommended a new timing belt, which was installed. She took it to them for all of the service. It needed the fuel injector O-rings. Another switch so the trans didn't hunt in the 27mph range on light throttle. Outer tie rod ends. Had some issue with the cooling fans not working.

One time, they did something that tripped the limp-in mode in the trans. She drove it home that way, in 2nd gear. She called them and they said it might need a new trans. NOT. I checked with a local trans shop and arranged for her to take it by for a check. When I drove it later that afternoon, no issues. Whatever happened had cleared with the later re-start, apparently.

The trans shop, whom I've know for a good while, put the scan tool on the trans to check the apply times in each gear, to determine wear. At approx. 100k, NO ISSUES with wear of the clutches!

Along about '08, I started noticing a few things about the electronics. The delay wipers seemed to have an extra millisecond berfore they responded each time. Then the alarm system started deploying, with a longer than normal horn chirp. The ABS light would illuminate after so much driving time. Finally, the instrument cluster stopped working. Had to unhook the battery to keep it from running down. That was after she'd stopped driving. I'd get a rent car to take her to town to get her hair done, as the NY sat. And it still sits under the carport. Need to put a new belt, water pump, and fuel pump in it to get it running again. Then a new BCM for it! Maybe injectors, too?

From reading the old Usenet Chrysler forums, the main problems with the cars were the dealers' service writers. A reman trans rather than speed sensors, it seems, for example.

I liked the 300Ms a lot. Look at the bucket seats on a Buick Lucerne and see if they look familiar! The car was a little quieter (rear suspension isolation) and the mpg of the Gen II 3.5L was better. I clocked 29-30mpg at 55-60mph, then 27mpg @ 90mph, on the computer (several cars, several times, the 55-60mph speeds, that is). Higher mpg than expected, for back then.

On the first gen cars, the LHS would normally average 26-27mpg on highway trips. The few times I rented a Concorde, they were 1.5mpg higher (better shape for aerodynamics, front contours and rear roof line).

On the Gen II cars, I watched as Daimler de-contented them. Rear sway bar gone. Lighted switches, gone, LHS gone (replaced by Concorde LXi). Even a Chevy Impala had these things, standard!

What I need is a reliable source for a new BCM for the '95 New Yorker. Great car, just looking a bid dated in some respects. Don't see that many of them anymore. PM me with BCM suggestions, please.

CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back